I challenge rbmead1960 to debate
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2013, 08:03 PM
I challenge rbmead1960 to debate
His arguments for the existence of god.

Reply here to accept. You take the lead (you post your arguments first). Drinking Beverage

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
28-03-2013, 08:32 PM
RE: I challenge rbmead1960 to debate
(28-03-2013 08:03 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  His arguments for the existence of god.

Reply here to accept. You take the lead (you post your arguments first). Drinking Beverage

Ok, I was looking up the quote by Darwin. So if a God were to exist and he could not phone, e-mail, talk to, confront, fax or appear on telivision, what would you want to see a viable proof of his existence???
28-03-2013, 09:01 PM
He could snap his fingers and eliminate HIV, Malaria, Hepatitis, Meningitis, etc. and remove most horrible forms of neural degeneration, cancer, and other such. After performing this minor miracle he could stamp "YHWH" in letters fifty meters high in a desert or cliff face in every major country. And for extra kudos he could cure my glaucoma and near sightedness. Easy enough, no?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
28-03-2013, 09:27 PM
(28-03-2013 09:01 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  He could snap his fingers and eliminate HIV, Malaria, Hepatitis, Meningitis, etc. and remove most horrible forms of neural degeneration, cancer, and other such. After performing this minor miracle he could stamp "YHWH" in letters fifty meters high in a desert or cliff face in every major country. And for extra kudos he could cure my glaucoma and near sightedness. Easy enough, no?

So you would want God to do all of that to prove himself? You forget what you think of what his real plan is. For us to spend eternity with Him. He is not the "tooth fairy" granting all of our wishes. God's do not do that. We have "god's" in our life and they don't respond that way, beckoning to our every whim or wiping our every problem. Problems, challenges and death are good for us. If we did not have them then we would not THINK of God. If the signs were up, than would we not question who put them up? If all of our diseases were instantly cured, why would God get the credit. You see no plausible or real exidence that he did anything.
28-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Tough love, yes. Excuse me, I need to go beat up my children, stab them in the face with a knife and kick them until they're unconscious. Tough love is good for them.

If I actually did that I would go to prison. There is a difference between overcoming challenges and obstacles, and arbitrary, cruel, inhumane treatment for no reason and to no end.

I will quote another forum member who replied in your own thread:

(28-03-2013 07:03 PM)Doctor X Wrote:  Right. Nothing like a real observation. So here is a real observation that requires explanation. Children and adolescents develop a rather nasty tumor of the brain stem, particularly the metencephalon, or pons. It is infiltrative and not amenable to surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy. The latter two therapies merely prolong the ultimate decline.

[Image: 1-s2.0-S1470204506706155-gr2.jpg]

The decline? As with real estate, the watchword for the central nervous system is "location!" The tumor destroys the descending voluntary pathways and centers for the cranial nerves which enervate facial musculature whilst preserving the sensory pathways. The child progressively losses control of her body up to her eye muscles which allows some rudimentary communication. Since the trigger for consciousness is located in the more rostral ventral midbrain or mesencephalon, she remains conscious throughout the months of decline. During this deterioration, she retains sensation and consciousness. She feels every ulcer, every pain; she remains completely aware of her condition and decline.

Eventually, on a tracheostomy, she will succumb usually to an infection.

This is not only a real case, it is all too frequent.

In fact, here is a quote given to me from a parent left on a webpage in which the parent describes the condition:

Quote:"Today, thanks to God's mercy he still with us. He can no longer walk on his own, the weakness on the left side of his body has increased, his speech is slurred and I am watching how the spark of life is slowly but surely dimming. His little body, swollen by the steroids, is slowly giving way to an end. I do not have an idea of how much time I will have with him."

I am not sure “mercy” is a word that applies.

This is a case of Unjustified Suffering unless you or anyone else can find some manner in which to justify it. Notice that I do not attack the death--people die. Perhaps she was destined to be the next Celine Dion. . . . It is the extent and severity of the suffering that renders it Unjustified Suffering. What did the child do to deserve it? Consider then why Josef Mengele passed easily from a stroke while swimming. Why did he apparently deserve a far easier passage?

Perhaps imagine a Heaven and a Hell--dream up a reward and punishment that will somehow magically balance the books, so to write? The problem remains the extent and severity of the suffering. If die she must, far quicker and less-severe methods do end a tyke's existence. Forced listening of country-western music, for example. Children do, unfortunately, ask what the did wrong to be punished by such a condition. What "reward" balances it? Is it greater than that obtained by children who die of leukemia, car accidents, and falling masonry? Why? Furthermore, that one imagines a Mengele horribly tortured throughout eternity--something involving fish hooks and Patsy Cline--does not justify the extensive and severe suffering of the child. Finally, if some grand argumentum ad ignorantiam of a "reward" exists, why do not the children who die of the less-horrible leukemia and steam rollers deserve it?

To what end are these children tortured?

Just so you're aware, you're walking into the intellectual [sic] cul de sac that led William Lane Craig to say that murdered infants are the recipients of an infinite good.

Here's a question for you: Why is occasional pain good for you? Why do you think pain exists at all?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
28-03-2013, 09:59 PM
(28-03-2013 09:49 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Tough love, yes. Excuse me, I need to go beat up my children, stab them in the face with a knife and kick them until they're unconscious. Tough love is good for them.

If I actually did that I would go to prison. There is a difference between overcoming challenges and obstacles, and arbitrary, cruel, inhumane treatment for no reason and to no end.

I will quote another forum member who replied in your own thread:

(28-03-2013 07:03 PM)Doctor X Wrote:  Right. Nothing like a real observation. So here is a real observation that requires explanation. Children and adolescents develop a rather nasty tumor of the brain stem, particularly the metencephalon, or pons. It is infiltrative and not amenable to surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy. The latter two therapies merely prolong the ultimate decline.

[Image: 1-s2.0-S1470204506706155-gr2.jpg]

The decline? As with real estate, the watchword for the central nervous system is "location!" The tumor destroys the descending voluntary pathways and centers for the cranial nerves which enervate facial musculature whilst preserving the sensory pathways. The child progressively losses control of her body up to her eye muscles which allows some rudimentary communication. Since the trigger for consciousness is located in the more rostral ventral midbrain or mesencephalon, she remains conscious throughout the months of decline. During this deterioration, she retains sensation and consciousness. She feels every ulcer, every pain; she remains completely aware of her condition and decline.

Eventually, on a tracheostomy, she will succumb usually to an infection.

This is not only a real case, it is all too frequent.

In fact, here is a quote given to me from a parent left on a webpage in which the parent describes the condition:

I am not sure “mercy” is a word that applies.

This is a case of Unjustified Suffering unless you or anyone else can find some manner in which to justify it. Notice that I do not attack the death--people die. Perhaps she was destined to be the next Celine Dion. . . . It is the extent and severity of the suffering that renders it Unjustified Suffering. What did the child do to deserve it? Consider then why Josef Mengele passed easily from a stroke while swimming. Why did he apparently deserve a far easier passage?

Perhaps imagine a Heaven and a Hell--dream up a reward and punishment that will somehow magically balance the books, so to write? The problem remains the extent and severity of the suffering. If die she must, far quicker and less-severe methods do end a tyke's existence. Forced listening of country-western music, for example. Children do, unfortunately, ask what the did wrong to be punished by such a condition. What "reward" balances it? Is it greater than that obtained by children who die of leukemia, car accidents, and falling masonry? Why? Furthermore, that one imagines a Mengele horribly tortured throughout eternity--something involving fish hooks and Patsy Cline--does not justify the extensive and severe suffering of the child. Finally, if some grand argumentum ad ignorantiam of a "reward" exists, why do not the children who die of the less-horrible leukemia and steam rollers deserve it?

To what end are these children tortured?

Just so you're aware, you're walking into the intellectual [sic] cul de sac that led William Lane Craig to say that murdered infants are the recipients of an infinite good.

Here's a question for you: Why is occasional pain good for you? Why do you think pain exists at all?
You are all over the place and this is spoken of broadly. But pain is a good thing. If we felt no pain we could not live. We would walk into fires, beat our thumb with a hammer to no end, teeth would rot our of our head. Yes, pain is needful to our human experience. God made us that way on purpose. Pain and suffering makes us look to God. God uses our EVIL for HIS GLORY, to lift him up and look greater. Pain teaches us lessons for life to be better. Man is EVIL and what he does is often very bad to others. Our SIN causes pain to not just ourselves but often others. HOpe this helps.
13-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Closed due to inactivity. Will be reopened at the request of the debaters.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Thread Closed