I change my e-mail signature to avoid upsetting people who employ me.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-08-2014, 09:22 AM
I change my e-mail signature to avoid upsetting people who employ me.
My e-mail signature is a quote from Dr Lawrence Krauss: "So forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today.". When I send e-mail to friends and people who know about my atheism, I don't touch it. But I also do work for a woman whose religious affiliation and strength of belief I don't know, and I find myself erasing the signature before I click 'send' on e-mails to her, just in case it might offend her.

It doesn't matter to me what religion, if any, she has. I just don't want her to read that sig and decide she doesn't want to employ someone who'd have it on their e-mail. But I feel false when I do that, even though I don't openly broadcast the fact I'm an atheist to anybody but those whom I feel would be okay with it (and I've found out the hard way that one of those people was really -not- okay with it). I wish I could just be who I am and not have to worry about some bozo coming to break my windows or slash the tires on my car or something far worse.

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2014, 09:28 AM
RE: I change my e-mail signature to avoid upsetting people who employ me.
I don't think religion belongs in a workplace setting. I thinks it appropriate to delete it. I wouldn't want to read 'Jesus is lord' signatures or ones saying to leave it all behind.

Signatures other than your name on business correspondence just seems flaky in general to me, no matter what it says.

I would expect it to be about your Business and nothing else. (Contact info, address, hours, sales pitch, )

Just my two cents

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 11 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
11-08-2014, 09:34 AM
(11-08-2014 09:28 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I don't think religion belongs in a workplace setting. I thinks it appropriate to delete it. I wouldn't want to read 'Jesus is lord' signatures or ones saying to leave it all behind.

Signatures other than your name on business correspondence just seems flaky in general to me, no matter what it says.

I would expect it to be about your Business and nothing else. (Contact info, address, hours, sales pitch, )

Just my two cents

That's an excellent point. I suppose most of the trouble is that I'm using the same e-mail for personal and business matters (not that the business takes up much of the traffic there). I have a separate email based on my real name that was meant to be used for business, but my real name is apparently common enough that several people have signed that address up for things thinking it was theirs, so I've all but quit using it. If I had a proper business I would surely have a dedicated e-mail address with a more unique name.

Thanks for your input. Smile

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
11-08-2014, 09:37 AM
I think it's wise not to rock the income boat.
I agree with what Bows and Arrows said, also I think I would take it off of everything and only add for "trusted" people to read.
If you leave it on everything it's fairly easy to forget to delete it for work related emails.
11-08-2014, 09:47 AM
I have an email for everything, one for school, one for family, one games, one for business, one for online forums, one for my android phone etc etc...

Keeps things organized and you don't have to worry about this kind of stuff Smile

Atir aissom atir imon
11-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Work e-mail signatures should be professional. Sayings of any kind should not be included unless it is some sort of company logo/slogan. If you are self employed it should be limited to contact information only. Any thing extra looks hokey.
11-08-2014, 09:54 AM
(11-08-2014 09:47 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I have an email for everything, one for school, one for family, one games, one for business, one for online forums, one for my android phone etc etc...

Keeps things organized and you don't have to worry about this kind of stuff Smile

I have a few other addresses, but they're not so neatly arranged. Smile I'm great at organising other people's stuff. My own... not so much. Big Grin

11-08-2014, 09:58 AM
(11-08-2014 09:28 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I don't think religion belongs in a workplace setting. I thinks it appropriate to delete it. I wouldn't want to read 'Jesus is lord' signatures or ones saying to leave it all behind.

Just my two cents

Totally agree. Keep business to business. If you want to quote Krauss, I would go with

"Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
11-08-2014, 10:19 AM
(11-08-2014 09:54 AM)calmblueocean Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 09:47 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  I have an email for everything, one for school, one for family, one games, one for business, one for online forums, one for my android phone etc etc...

I have a few other addresses, but they're not so neatly arranged. Smile I'm great at organising other people's stuff. My own... not so much. Big Grin

Time to start, I would also suggest a password locker type application to keep all those passwords organized as well Thumbsup

Atir aissom atir imon
20-08-2014, 12:33 PM
(11-08-2014 09:22 AM)calmblueocean Wrote:  My e-mail signature is a quote from Dr Lawrence Krauss: "So forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today.". When I send e-mail to friends and people who know about my atheism, I don't touch it. But I also do work for a woman whose religious affiliation and strength of belief I don't know, and I find myself erasing the signature before I click 'send' on e-mails to her, just in case it might offend her.

It doesn't matter to me what religion, if any, she has. I just don't want her to read that sig and decide she doesn't want to employ someone who'd have it on their e-mail. But I feel false when I do that, even though I don't openly broadcast the fact I'm an atheist to anybody but those whom I feel would be okay with it (and I've found out the hard way that one of those people was really -not- okay with it). I wish I could just be who I am and not have to worry about some bozo coming to break my windows or slash the tires on my car or something far worse.

I'd delete the signature. Why? Because you don't put your music preferences in your signature, your clothing tastes in your signature, your favorite book, etc., why should you be putting anything relating to Atheism in there? Its ultimately unprofessional.

The only thing in your email signature, should be your name, and any credentials you have. Thats it.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post