I change my e-mail signature to avoid upsetting people who employ me.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-08-2014, 12:57 PM
RE: I change my e-mail signature to avoid upsetting people who employ me.
I have to agree with the consensus.

Nothing personal in business email signatures. I've surprised your company actually allows it.

I am a network admin for one of the largest river cruising companies in the world, owned by an atheist. But I would never consider putting anything like that in my business email.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2014, 01:45 PM
(11-08-2014 09:22 AM)calmblueocean Wrote:  My e-mail signature is a quote from Dr Lawrence Krauss: "So forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today.". When I send e-mail to friends and people who know about my atheism, I don't touch it. But I also do work for a woman whose religious affiliation and strength of belief I don't know, and I find myself erasing the signature before I click 'send' on e-mails to her, just in case it might offend her.

It doesn't matter to me what religion, if any, she has. I just don't want her to read that sig and decide she doesn't want to employ someone who'd have it on their e-mail. But I feel false when I do that, even though I don't openly broadcast the fact I'm an atheist to anybody but those whom I feel would be okay with it (and I've found out the hard way that one of those people was really -not- okay with it). I wish I could just be who I am and not have to worry about some bozo coming to break my windows or slash the tires on my car or something far worse.

I have the same signature here as I do at work. I put it there because so many people at work have scripture in their signature line, so what is good for the goose....

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
20-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Personally and this is just me...

I hate email signatures...I loathe them, people send me shit with cute little flowers and crap like that and it bugs the hell out of me...or shit their kids say...It's like people's voice mail or answering machine messages with some dippy music or their 2 year saying they're not home. Facepalm

There's a time and a place...

Name and credentials is more than enough.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-08-2014, 02:01 PM
(20-08-2014 01:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Personally and this is just me...

I hate email signatures...I loathe them, people send me shit with cute little flowers and crap like that and it bugs the hell out of me...or shit their kids say...It's like people's voice mail or answering machine messages with some dippy music or their 2 year saying they're not home. Facepalm

There's a time and a place...

Name and credentials is more than enough.

This is actually policy at my workplace, all of those cute graphics put a demand on the servers and bandwidth, but that still doesn't stop them. Confused

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
20-08-2014, 02:11 PM
I don't find it necessary to identify as an Atheist, by all measures I am one, in reality I'm not, but that is about understanding the nature of belief and being able to approach it with a semblance of pragmatic objectivity. I can identify with both the religious and secular because of it, I just cannot identify with mental disorders.
20-08-2014, 02:12 PM
(20-08-2014 12:57 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  I have to agree with the consensus.

Nothing personal in business email signatures. I've surprised your company actually allows it.

I am a network admin for one of the largest river cruising companies in the world, owned by an atheist. But I would never consider putting anything like that in my business email.

I'm a private contractor; I don't have a company. I wouldn't put the 'forget Jesus' bit in a sig on a work-only e-mail (especially at the last place I worked, located in a place I call Catholictown... eegh), which, as has been helpfully pointed out, is the answer. My problem is not having a separate address at the moment for communication with my clients. I've removed the quote from my signature because that makes the most sense. Thanks to all you folks for your input. I feel kinda dumb now ...Facepalm

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
20-08-2014, 02:16 PM
I am sure when i retire from the navy in less than 2 years and get a real job, I will be a lot more...private. It is just at work there is so much in your face Xtian shit that it drives me nuts, especially since technically it is illegal (military rules of religiosity for where and when it can be discussed, and openly displayed).

I have gotten a bit more militant in the last 6 months, perhaps I need a vacation Consider I don't want to be the stereotype of "the angry atheist". Blink Facepalm

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
20-08-2014, 02:19 PM
(20-08-2014 02:11 PM)Ray Butler Wrote:  I don't find it necessary to identify as an Atheist, by all measures I am one, in reality I'm not, but that is about understanding the nature of belief and being able to approach it with a semblance of pragmatic objectivity. I can identify with both the religious and secular because of it, I just cannot identify with mental disorders.

I fail to see how this is at all related to the thread. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-08-2014, 02:26 PM
(20-08-2014 02:16 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  ... It is just at work there is so much in your face Xtian shit that it drives me nuts, especially since technically it is illegal (military rules of religiosity for where and when it can be discussed, and openly displayed). ...

Even years before I became an atheist, I was put off by the blatant displays of Christianity present in my workplace at the time. My immediate supervisor, while a really nice guy, was a Super-Catholic with 6+kids and a scary investment in conspiracy theories of all kinds. Another worker there once asked me what I was doing for Easter, and when I (foolishly) mentioned I was Wiccan, she got such the look of shock on her face and didn't speak to me for something like 4 days straight. Kinda terrifying. It's okay for Christians to talk about their god stuff, but heaven forfend anybody even so much as decline to take part in their discussions or rituals. Angry

P.S. There needs to be a headbang emoticon. Smile

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes calmblueocean's post
20-08-2014, 02:30 PM
(20-08-2014 02:26 PM)calmblueocean Wrote:  
(20-08-2014 02:16 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  ... It is just at work there is so much in your face Xtian shit that it drives me nuts, especially since technically it is illegal (military rules of religiosity for where and when it can be discussed, and openly displayed). ...

Even years before I became an atheist, I was put off by the blatant displays of Christianity present in my workplace at the time. My immediate supervisor, while a really nice guy, was a Super-Catholic with 6+kids and a scary investment in conspiracy theories of all kinds. Another worker there once asked me what I was doing for Easter, and when I (foolishly) mentioned I was Wiccan, she got such the look of shock on her face and didn't speak to me for something like 4 days straight. Kinda terrifying. It's okay for Christians to talk about their god stuff, but heaven forfend anybody even so much as decline to take part in their discussions or rituals. Angry

P.S. There needs to be a headbang emoticon. Smile

Like this one? Frusty

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user