I come across this all the time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2017, 10:04 AM
I come across this all the time
I read posts by religious nuts sometimes and this pops up so often.
"God will reveal himself to you only if you believe in him." Or something to that effect.

How do you respond to this stupidity? This sounds like it's another way around the inability to provide any concrete evidence of a god so you just gotta believe anyway.

Drives me nuts.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
27-01-2017, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2017 10:10 AM by Peebothuhul.)
RE: I come across this all the time
At work.

Must admit, the couple times it's happened to me I try to politely engage by starting with;

"Which diety, revealing what?"

The folks were quite startled that some one, on to them such a fundamental level, could be so clue-less as to the innitial meaning.

Their veiw of the world obviously being 'Every one MUST believe'.

Smile
[+] 5 users Like Peebothuhul's post
27-01-2017, 10:08 AM
No sense in responding to such stupidity. Why waste time?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
27-01-2017, 10:15 AM
If I were to out myself to most of my family members, this is exactly the argument I would expect to hear from them. There's really no way to answer it. It's just a failure on the part of the ones making the claims to understand the role that confirmation bias plays in their belief. That's not something that can be explained to most people. It's something that they have to want to figure out for themselves.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
27-01-2017, 10:17 AM
(27-01-2017 10:04 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I read posts by religious nuts sometimes and this pops up so often.
"God will reveal himself to you only if you believe in him." Or something to that effect.

How do you respond to this stupidity? This sounds like it's another way around the inability to provide any concrete evidence of a god so you just gotta believe anyway.

Drives me nuts.

I would reply, "That's how I met this friendly Leprechaun."

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
27-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Ask them how. in a piece of toast? or maybe a sock?

I am holding out for jesus pizza. I bet it tastes heavenly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pictureg...me=3243164

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
27-01-2017, 10:28 AM
It's a sort of inward circular reasoning thing. God only exists if you believe in god therefore he exists because you believe in him. Do I have this right? It's like a treadmill of belief and once the person is on and running they can't get off.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
27-01-2017, 10:30 AM
God will reveal himself???

[Image: flasher-god.jpg]

Yeah -- uh -- no -- I think I'll have to pass on that, thanks....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
27-01-2017, 10:46 AM
(27-01-2017 10:04 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I read posts by religious nuts sometimes and this pops up so often.

Drives me nuts.

You can't, really, at least in any way that they'll listen to.

You might try some street epistomology on their ass - not to get them to change their mind, but to get them to see the errors in their logical process - but if they're already indoctrinated, nothing you say is going to breach their walls.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
27-01-2017, 10:47 AM
(27-01-2017 10:28 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  It's a sort of inward circular reasoning thing. God only exists if you believe in god therefore he exists because you believe in him. Do I have this right? It's like a treadmill of belief and once the person is on and running they can't get off.
More or less. The part you're missing is that belief is seen as bestowed grace or even divine revelation. It's a little like how Dorothy god home in The Wizard of Oz; she had to close her eyes, think earnestly of home, and click her heels together while wearing the correct magic slippers. The notion is that you won't get the revelation if you don't invite it and surrender to it.

The part THEY are missing is that you inherently can't be a pretender to sincere belief. You can't help but know what you know, and if you aren't true to that, then you are a liar. What they are basically saying is that god loveth a cheerful liar. In point of fact anyone taking up Pascal on his wager "just in case" would result in Biblegod smiting them.

Yeah, it's fucked up.