I come across this all the time

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2017, 10:35 PM
RE: I come across this all the time
I've been wondering if believers and nonbelievers mostly differ in that believers think things happen for reasons beyond cause and effect. The assertion "It was meant to be" usually comes with a perceived revelation from God. I think this type of language makes us puffed up egomaniacs. It's much more accurate to say "I'm happy this turned out the way it did" and give credit to the living, breathing people who surround you and love you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes port_of_call's post
28-01-2017, 10:44 PM
(27-01-2017 10:04 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  "God will reveal himself to you only if you believe in him."

This is tautological. Of course if I believe in God the need for him to reveal himself to me is pointless. It's the exact same thing than saying that you will believe in love only if you fall in love first. At best, it's an invitation for post hoc rationalisation and at worst a call to swallow any bullshit under the promise that one day its going to payoff.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
29-01-2017, 09:29 AM
(28-01-2017 10:35 PM)port_of_call Wrote:  I've been wondering if believers and nonbelievers mostly differ in that believers think things happen for reasons beyond cause and effect. The assertion "It was meant to be" usually comes with a perceived revelation from God. I think this type of language makes us puffed up egomaniacs. It's much more accurate to say "I'm happy this turned out the way it did" and give credit to the living, breathing people who surround you and love you.
My wife is a from-the-cradle atheist who in no way "gets" religious ideation, and she uses that phrase too. She does so without really literally believing it. So while I think there's considerable truth to what you are saying here, it is not purely a theist notion. It is a more generalized rationalization meme that people use to help themselves handle disappointment. In other words there is both a literal and often religious meaning, and a more metaphorical / ironic meaning. The latter being, basically, it wasn't going to happen anyway, so I'm really not a loser in this situation.
29-01-2017, 11:25 AM
(27-01-2017 10:04 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I read posts by religious nuts sometimes and this pops up so often.
"God will reveal himself to you only if you believe in him." Or something to that effect.

How do you respond to this stupidity? This sounds like it's another way around the inability to provide any concrete evidence of a god so you just gotta believe anyway.

Drives me nuts.

If you have means of obtaining a shotgun and avoid the law system of your country I might be able to suggest a great way of responding it.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
[+] 1 user Likes Velvet's post
31-01-2017, 04:40 PM
"Have you met my friend Harvey?"

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
31-01-2017, 05:44 PM
(31-01-2017 04:40 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  "Have you met my friend Harvey?"

Does Harvey want me to give 10% of my income to your organization, too?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
31-01-2017, 06:41 PM
(31-01-2017 05:44 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  

Not unless it also comes with volunteer labor in the form of yardwork, janitorial work, and/or childcare for Harvey's Sunday services.

... oh, and you have to apply pressure on your family to join to. Like, lots of pressure. Be prepared to break up your family if you don't sign up. After all, those who don't hate their family don't love Harvey.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
01-02-2017, 12:19 PM
(31-01-2017 05:44 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  

He does now. Big Grin

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.