I come bearing the good news of my Father which art in Heaven.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2016, 07:59 PM
RE: I come bearing the good news of my Father which art in Heaven.
What information ? Yahweh's wife, Ashera ? From Archaeology. Statues of her were found in Dan, Beth-el, and Jerusalem.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-05-2016, 08:02 PM
(11-05-2016 07:36 PM)chrisdubbya Wrote:  What purpose would it serve the "Christian God" to stop such a plague? You'll have to break down your logic that omnibenevolence (if that's a word. I may have just made that up or misspelled it) means that he has to "fundamentally" stop all bad things from happening to mankind.
Let's ask Oxford Dictionaries.

What is omnibenevolence?

omnibenevolence
noun
Unlimited or infinite benevolence.

What is benevolence?

benevolence
noun | [mass noun]
The quality of being well meaning; kindness.

Why indeed would a being that possesses an infinite amount of well meaning and kindness try to stop people from dying by the hundreds of millions? Consider

(11-05-2016 07:36 PM)chrisdubbya Wrote:  Plus the "Christian God" as you put it doesn't show a habit of saving mankind from disaster.
He sure saved the Jews a whole bunch of times, most notably in Egypt.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
11-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Mmmm this is all interesting logic. It does explain a lot in the foundation of the atheist thought process. But I fear those thoughts come from a much smaller "Reality" than is necessary to explain a god. If God originally existed outside of our reality (forgive my use of words related to time) then any word we have to describe such a being would not be adequate. The biblical God is shown creating time. Therefore since all of our language is based around the use of words describing time it is impossible to describe a being who is outside of time with the use of words bound by time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-05-2016, 08:03 PM
(11-05-2016 08:02 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 07:36 PM)chrisdubbya Wrote:  What purpose would it serve the "Christian God" to stop such a plague? You'll have to break down your logic that omnibenevolence (if that's a word. I may have just made that up or misspelled it) means that he has to "fundamentally" stop all bad things from happening to mankind.
Let's ask Oxford Dictionaries.

What is omnibenevolence?

omnibenevolence
noun
Unlimited or infinite benevolence.

What is benevolence?

benevolence
noun | [mass noun]
The quality of being well meaning; kindness.

Why indeed would a being that possesses an infinite amount of well meaning and kindness try to stop people from dying by the hundreds of millions? Consider

(11-05-2016 07:36 PM)chrisdubbya Wrote:  Plus the "Christian God" as you put it doesn't show a habit of saving mankind from disaster.
He sure saved the Jews a whole bunch of times, most notably in Egypt.

True but like I said earlier youre basing your ideas of this God as if he were bound by his benevolence instead of acting on behalf of another agenda all together.
11-05-2016, 08:05 PM
(11-05-2016 08:02 PM)chrisdubbya Wrote:  Mmmm this is all interesting logic. It does explain a lot in the foundation of the atheist thought process. But I fear those thoughts come from a much smaller "Reality" than is necessary to explain a god. If God originally existed outside of our reality (forgive my use of words related to time) then any word we have to describe such a being would not be adequate. The biblical God is shown creating time. Therefore since all of our language is based around the use of words describing time it is impossible to describe a being who is outside of time with the use of words bound by time.

Wrong. It describes THE entire Reality. You have nothing to "fear". You cannot explain anything.
I will not forgive your wrods. You are unable to say anything about a god that "exists" outside of time. All we know about here, is spacetime. There is no "outside" anything, if spacetime does not exists. It's meaningless. As I said, you can provide NO coherent definition of any god.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
11-05-2016, 08:06 PM
(11-05-2016 07:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What information ? Yahweh's wife, Ashera ? From Archaeology. Statues of her were found in Dan, Beth-el, and Jerusalem.

True but don't forget that the bible talks about how many times the Jews left their faith in search of others and many times combined gods of other faiths with their own. So don't forget to use context with your arguments. A large portion of the bible talks about the circles the Jews went through

Rejections of God
Worship of other gods
Destruction
Repentance

And through it all over again. It is not uncommon to find those statues littering these cities.
11-05-2016, 08:06 PM
(11-05-2016 07:48 PM)chrisdubbya Wrote:  Nope I just hopped on the forum to debate world views with hopefully competent debaters. Didn't even read through the thing the first guy started with. Just looking for a good debate that doesn't involve name calling, or illogical rhetoric from any world view.

Howdy. Welcome aboard!

I would suggest starting another thread.

This one started out in a tone that sets everyone up in smackdown mode.

So after pages of rhetoric, many posters are all riled up.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
11-05-2016, 08:07 PM
(11-05-2016 08:05 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 08:02 PM)chrisdubbya Wrote:  Mmmm this is all interesting logic. It does explain a lot in the foundation of the atheist thought process. But I fear those thoughts come from a much smaller "Reality" than is necessary to explain a god. If God originally existed outside of our reality (forgive my use of words related to time) then any word we have to describe such a being would not be adequate. The biblical God is shown creating time. Therefore since all of our language is based around the use of words describing time it is impossible to describe a being who is outside of time with the use of words bound by time.

Wrong. It describes THE entire Reality. You have nothing to "fear". You cannot explain anything.
I will not forgive your wrods. You are unable to say anything about a god that "exists" outside of time. All we know about here, is spacetime. There is no "outside" anything, if spacetime does not exists. It's meaningless. As I said, you can provide NO coherent definition of any god.

But does it really describe all of reality? Anything used to determine time was created. We can't even acknowledge the existence of time without objects. So when God created mass he created time as well.
11-05-2016, 08:10 PM
Okay, I'll bite. Assuming, for the sake of the argument, that what you say is true: How can a mere human like yourself ever hope to prove the existence of a being so foreign that our language cannot even describe the true nature of its existence? How could a mere human ever hope to infer anything at all about its thoughts and intentions? The God you posit is so alien, it might as well be the universe itself. The idea of having a personal relationship with such an entity is quite frankly absurd.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
11-05-2016, 08:13 PM
(11-05-2016 08:06 PM)chrisdubbya Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 07:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What information ? Yahweh's wife, Ashera ? From Archaeology. Statues of her were found in Dan, Beth-el, and Jerusalem.

True but don't forget that the bible talks about how many times the Jews left their faith in search of others and many times combined gods of other faiths with their own. So don't forget to use context with your arguments. A large portion of the bible talks about the circles the Jews went through

Rejections of God
Worship of other gods
Destruction
Repentance

And through it all over again. It is not uncommon to find those statues littering these cities.

*As if* you know anything about Archaeology. LOL. It PROVES she was an integral part of their culture.
The Bible says NOTHING about them repenting their worship of her. It PROVES they were not monotheists.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post