I controlled my tongue this morning.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2013, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2013 10:06 AM by kingschosen.)
I controlled my tongue this morning.
A student put in a request for a transcript. She has a $700 balance on her account (was originally $1300, so she's paid a little less than half). I called and let her know that she will not be able to receive her transcript until she pays off her balance or pays off a significant portion of it via a payment plan.

She cocked an attitude with me and said, "I paid $22000 to go to school there and I can't get my transcript?" And, then a few other choice words.

I wanted to say, "Well, no ma'am... you paid $600 to go to school and the American taxpayers footed the rest of the bill. And, you still owe us half of what you agreed to pay."

But, I didn't. I was professional and told her that if she had a dispute then she needs to come to the school to discuss it with the powers that be.

Freakin' entitled people... think they are owed something when they are given so much... makes me sick.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2013, 10:04 AM
RE: I controlled my tongue this morning.
...and here I am thinking you were talking about cunnilingus.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like houseofcantor's post
26-03-2013, 02:44 PM
(26-03-2013 10:04 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  ...and here I am thinking you were talking about cunnilingus.
Somehow I knew that was coming...

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
26-03-2013, 02:48 PM
(26-03-2013 10:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  A student put in a request for a transcript. She has a $700 balance on her account (was originally $1300, so she's paid a little less than half). I called and let her know that she will not be able to receive her transcript until she pays off her balance or pays off a significant portion of it via a payment plan.

She cocked an attitude with me and said, "I paid $22000 to go to school there and I can't get my transcript?" And, then a few other choice words.

I wanted to say, "Well, no ma'am... you paid $600 to go to school and the American taxpayers footed the rest of the bill. And, you still owe us half of what you agreed to pay."

But, I didn't. I was professional and told her that if she had a dispute then she needs to come to the school to discuss it with the powers that be.

Freakin' entitled people... think they are owed something when they are given so much... makes me sick.
To be fair, we pay entirely too much for education here in the US.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
26-03-2013, 02:56 PM
She couldn't get her transcript? At my school, they allowed one free copy after graduation and if you wanted another one, you had to pay a standard fee of ... I don't know, ten dollars or something.

What happens if the person can't get a particular job without a copy of their transcript? Seems counterproductive if the person can't get a job to pay back a loan. Consider Would the employer be able to access it somehow?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
26-03-2013, 03:01 PM
(26-03-2013 02:56 PM)kim Wrote:  She couldn't get her transcript? At my school, they allowed one free copy after graduation and if you wanted another one, you had to pay a standard fee of ... I don't know, ten dollars or something.

What happens if the person can't get a particular job without a copy of their transcript? Seems counterproductive if the person can't get a job to pay back a loan. Consider Would the employer be able to access it somehow?
The answer to that is (in order) 1) They are screwed 2) No.

Sometimes they will give unofficial transcripts, but not always and most places won't accept them.

And some fields (like the mental health field) can deny you the ability to receive your license if you default on any loan payments.

And if you are unable to pay them back for long enough, the government stops issuing you a tax return so you get no refund.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
26-03-2013, 03:02 PM
(26-03-2013 02:56 PM)kim Wrote:  She couldn't get her transcript? At my school, they allowed one free copy after graduation and if you wanted another one, you had to pay a standard fee of ... I don't know, ten dollars or something.

They sign an agreement aka an Awards Letter to pay what they owe the school via a payment plan. The payment plan is spread out over the course of their tenure or up to 6 months after graduation. If they are abiding by the payment plan, we will most certainly give them their transcript.

If they break their contract with us - not pay - we keep their transcript.

26-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Like I said, they sign a contract with us, and they accept the term of what they owe to us and agree to pay it back. It isn't hidden. It isn't a shock.

If they refuse to pay for the service that we provided for them, I don't see why it's so wrong for us to deny them proof of that service.

26-03-2013, 03:07 PM
(26-03-2013 03:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Like I said, they sign a contract with us, and they accept the term of what they owe to us and agree to pay it back. It isn't hidden. It isn't a shock.

If they refuse to pay for the service that we provided for them, I don't see why it's so wrong for us to deny them proof of that service.
It is unfortunate to say the least. It is just too expensive. Especially for the "education" most of them go to college to get.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
26-03-2013, 03:11 PM
(26-03-2013 03:07 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(26-03-2013 03:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Like I said, they sign a contract with us, and they accept the term of what they owe to us and agree to pay it back. It isn't hidden. It isn't a shock.

It is unfortunate to say the least. It is just too expensive. Especially for the "education" most of them go to college to get.
They become licensed nurses at my school. They pay about 10% of the total tuition out of pocket.

Go here if you want the skinny on why education costs so much.