I'd like everyone to take this political quiz if you don't mind.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2012, 05:36 PM
RE: I'd like everyone to take this political quiz if you don't mind.
(20-01-2012 05:10 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  Maybe I'll grow of it. My father used to say "If you're not a communist when you're twenty, you don't have a heart. If you're still a a communist when you're forty, you don't have a brain." (Quote not his, but I forget who he attributed it to).

François Guizot

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2012, 05:23 AM
(20-01-2012 05:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-01-2012 05:10 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  Maybe I'll grow of it. My father used to say "If you're not a communist when you're twenty, you don't have a heart. If you're still a a communist when you're forty, you don't have a brain." (Quote not his, but I forget who he attributed it to).

François Guizot

Thanks! Looks like my father has slightly misquoted it to serve his purpose too Tongue

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post
21-01-2012, 01:20 PM
[Image: pcgraphpng.php?ec=0.00&soc=-4.41]

Economic Left/Right: 0.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.41

I consider myself an economically centrist (though I'd be considered center-right in many European countries) liberal, though rarely is the classification "liberal" used in contemporary political philosophy (the camps are instead egalitarianism, communitarianism, and libertarianism).

"There is no such thing as philosophy-free science; there is only science whose philosophical baggage is taken on board without examination."
-Daniel Dennett
21-01-2012, 02:08 PM
(20-01-2012 05:10 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  It's not. But then it's about 150 years out of date. But the basic ideas are, and they work pretty well in developed countries. The next step is a classless stateless society, and Marxism isn't about forcing communism, but rather that it's a natural step to take after this.

As for why, there's a lot of arguments for an against. I do believe that people should be encouraged to be ambitious, but I don't believe in greed. I don't believe some people should be able to buy cars the prices of which could feed a village for a fortnight, while others have to wait 6 months to see a doctor because they can't afford insurance.

Maybe I'll grow of it. My father used to say "If you're not a communist when you're twenty, you don't have a heart. If you're still a a communist when you're forty, you don't have a brain." (Quote not his, but I forget who he attributed it to).
Maybe I'm just a little late Tongue

That is the worst political post I've ever read. Who the fuck are you to control what others do with the money they worked hard for? And who cares if people are greedy. Sounds like you might just be too lazy to earn your own keep so you try and take what rightfull belongs to others. If you were elected president I'd assasinate you. And I'm dead fucking serious.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
21-01-2012, 02:20 PM
(21-01-2012 02:08 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(20-01-2012 05:10 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  It's not. But then it's about 150 years out of date. But the basic ideas are, and they work pretty well in developed countries. The next step is a classless stateless society, and Marxism isn't about forcing communism, but rather that it's a natural step to take after this.

As for why, there's a lot of arguments for an against. I do believe that people should be encouraged to be ambitious, but I don't believe in greed. I don't believe some people should be able to buy cars the prices of which could feed a village for a fortnight, while others have to wait 6 months to see a doctor because they can't afford insurance.

Maybe I'll grow of it. My father used to say "If you're not a communist when you're twenty, you don't have a heart. If you're still a a communist when you're forty, you don't have a brain." (Quote not his, but I forget who he attributed it to).
Maybe I'm just a little late Tongue

That is the worst political post I've ever read. Who the fuck are you to control what others do with the money they worked hard for? And who cares if people are greedy. Sounds like you might just be too lazy to earn your own keep so you try and take what rightfull belongs to others. If you were elected president I'd assasinate you. And I'm dead fucking serious.

Seems like an overreaction. While I'm a capitalist myself, the idea of people having a "right to the product of their labor" is actually notoriously problematic in political philosophy. Redistribution is also likely to be justified under any regime which insists on some kind of property right (see the "Lockean Proviso") as any initial acquisition of resources would need to be either an arbitrary matter of force or a matter of community assent.

http://www.iep.utm.edu/property/

"There is no such thing as philosophy-free science; there is only science whose philosophical baggage is taken on board without examination."
-Daniel Dennett
21-01-2012, 02:40 PM
(21-01-2012 02:08 PM)germanyt Wrote:  That is the worst political post I've ever read. Who the fuck are you to control what others do with the money they worked hard for? And who cares if people are greedy. Sounds like you might just be too lazy to earn your own keep so you try and take what rightfull belongs to others. If you were elected president I'd assasinate you. And I'm dead fucking serious.

Back on the Juice I see. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
21-01-2012, 03:34 PM
[Image: pcgraphpng.php?ec=-5.75&soc=-2.67]

Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.67
21-01-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm not trying to piss anyone off. I'm sure you've heard all these arguments before.

But the reality of the situation isn't that hardworking people get ahead and lazy people get what they deserve. People who manipulate money and others get far more than they deserve, and really hardworking people are stuck being working class. I don't think it so wrong to work towards a society where this distinction between rich and poor is not so pronounced. Or to want everyone to have the most basic healthcare and security. What about disabled people? The very old, or the very young? We don't live in a vacuum.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 4 users Like Smooshmonster's post
22-01-2012, 09:24 AM
I came in Libertarian Left. Not quite what I expected.
22-01-2012, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2012 11:10 PM by ShirubaDangan.)
[attachment=393]

I'm not surprise where I ended. I'm not Gandhi but I'm glad I'm on the left.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?