I'd like everyone to take this political quiz if you don't mind.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2012, 07:58 AM
RE: I'd like everyone to take this political quiz if you don't mind.
Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.87

So... I'm confused about economics, mainly because I don't pay attention to it, and I hate authority Tongue Sounds about right Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2012, 09:28 AM
(20-01-2012 05:10 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  As for why, there's a lot of arguments for an against. I do believe that people should be encouraged to be ambitious, but I don't believe in greed. I don't believe some people should be able to buy cars the prices of which could feed a village for a fortnight, while others have to wait 6 months to see a doctor because they can't afford insurance.

If they earned their money who are you to say what they can do with. What a pretentious, lazy, tit-suckling attitude.

It doesn't matter if someone makes money by working hard or manipulating the system as long as they did it legally (morally I'm against manipulation for money, but my morals don't dictate laws). You have just as much right to demand people give money away as a hobo demanding you give him all your money. It's their money... no one should have a say so in how they use it.

I still can't believe people think like this and expect to function in the world.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
23-01-2012, 09:31 AM
(21-01-2012 02:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-01-2012 02:08 PM)germanyt Wrote:  That is the worst political post I've ever read. Who the fuck are you to control what others do with the money they worked hard for? And who cares if people are greedy. Sounds like you might just be too lazy to earn your own keep so you try and take what rightfull belongs to others. If you were elected president I'd assasinate you. And I'm dead fucking serious.

Back on the Juice I see. Wink

Not til I get my tax return. Big Grin

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
23-01-2012, 09:36 AM
(23-01-2012 09:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(20-01-2012 05:10 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  As for why, there's a lot of arguments for an against. I do believe that people should be encouraged to be ambitious, but I don't believe in greed. I don't believe some people should be able to buy cars the prices of which could feed a village for a fortnight, while others have to wait 6 months to see a doctor because they can't afford insurance.

If they earned their money who are you to say what they can do with. What a pretentious, lazy, tit-suckling attitude.

It doesn't matter if someone makes money by working hard or manipulating the system as long as they did it legally (morally I'm against manipulation for money, but my morals don't dictate laws). You have just as much right to demand people give money away as a hobo demanding you give him all your money. It's their money... no one should have a say so in how they use it.

I still can't believe people think like this and expect to function in the world.

Don't be an ass. He said it wasn't right for people to make money manipulating the system, he didn't say it wasn't legal. He is saying that it does matter how they made their money - you are saying it doesn't matter as long as it was legal. Don't be such an amoral twit.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-01-2012, 09:45 AM
(23-01-2012 09:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Don't be an ass. He said it wasn't right for people to make money manipulating the system, he didn't say it wasn't legal. He is saying that it does matter how they made their money - you are saying it doesn't matter as long as it was legal. Don't be such an amoral twit.

Please. Don't give me that crap. Laws are laws. They are in place to prevent injustice. Morals are relative. If someone wishes to be immoral and doesn't break the law then they have every right to do it. As long as they are not breaking the law, then they are only held accountable to themselves or their god. That's it. They are not obligated to anyone else.

If you start trying to base corporate, business, or government decisions based on relative morality, then you might as well open the door for a theocracy; as it's no different than letting religion decide government.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
23-01-2012, 10:09 AM
(21-01-2012 02:08 PM)germanyt Wrote:  That is the worst political post I've ever read. Who the fuck are you to control what others do with the money they worked hard for? And who cares if people are greedy. Sounds like you might just be too lazy to earn your own keep so you try and take what rightfull belongs to others. If you were elected president I'd assasinate you. And I'm dead fucking serious.

And this is the worst post I've read here, period. Who the fuck are YOU to imply that the way to disagree with someone politically is to kill them?

Is that any better than the Ayatollah Khomeini issuing a fatwa against Salman Rushdie because he insulted Mohammad? Or maybe you have a picture of Lee Harvey Oswald on your wall?

If that was supposed to be a joke, it's not funny. Oh, but you were "dead fucking serious," so it wasn't a joke.

You owe Smooshmonster--and everyone else on this board--an apology.

And a little piece of advice: GROW THE FUCK UP.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
23-01-2012, 10:58 AM
(23-01-2012 09:45 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Please. Don't give me that crap. Laws are laws. They are in place to prevent injustice. Morals are relative. If someone wishes to be immoral and doesn't break the law then they have every right to do it. As long as they are not breaking the law, then they are only held accountable to themselves or their god. That's it. They are not obligated to anyone else.

If you start trying to base corporate, business, or government decisions based on relative morality, then you might as well open the door for a theocracy; as it's no different than letting religion decide government.

It's about the social contract. Laws are the embodiment of the social contract. The social contract is the prevailing zeitgeist, so it embodies the prevailing morality.

Your answer was judgmental and insulting - just thought I'd give you a taste of your own medicine.

23-01-2012, 11:26 AM
(23-01-2012 10:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  

It's about the social contract. Laws are the embodiment of the social contract. The social contract is the prevailing zeitgeist, so it embodies the prevailing morality.

Your answer was judgmental and insulting - just thought I'd give you a taste of your own medicine.

He just has little tolerance for a proud Marxist. Kinda like you and a proud theist.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
23-01-2012, 12:40 PM
(23-01-2012 11:26 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(23-01-2012 09:28 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  If they earned their money who are you to say what they can do with. What a pretentious, lazy, tit-suckling attitude.

He just has little tolerance for a proud Marxist. Kinda like you and a proud theist.

I don't see how you get Marxist out of what he said.
And while Marxists are certainly unrealistic, they're not delusional.

The laws typically lag the zeitgeist by some years, so the law currently allows things that will likely become illegal,
and disallows other things that will likely become legal.
Also, the zeitgeist at one time had business being less malevolent; people who ran businesses more often had a social conscience and, more pointedly, a loyalty to their employees; government was in the business of protecting people, not corporations. The excesses of the 19th century brought about labor laws, anti-trust laws; the excesses of the first half of 20th century brought about the FDA, the EPA, etc. We can see the pendulum starting to swing in reaction to the excesses of the latter part of the 20th century. Legal and moral are not the same thing.

23-01-2012, 12:48 PM
(23-01-2012 12:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-01-2012 11:26 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(23-01-2012 09:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  Don't be an ass. He said it wasn't right for people to make money manipulating the system, he didn't say it wasn't legal. He is saying that it does matter how they made their money - you are saying it doesn't matter as long as it was legal. Don't be such an amoral twit.

I don't see how you get Marxist out of what he said.
And while Marxists are certainly unrealistic, they're not delusional.

The laws typically lag the zeitgeist by some years, so the law currently allows things that will likely become illegal,
and disallows other things that will likely become legal.
Also, the zeitgeist at one time had business being less malevolent; people who ran businesses more often had a social conscience and, more pointedly, a loyalty to their employees; government was in the business of protecting people, not corporations. The excesses of the 19th century brought about labor laws, anti-trust laws; the excesses of the first half of 20th century brought about the FDA, the EPA, etc. We can see the pendulum starting to swing in reaction to the excesses of the latter part of the 20th century. Legal and moral are not the same thing.

He's a self proclaimed Marxist. Hence his comment/viewpoint. And IMO it is delusional, unrealistic, and ass-backwards.

-Mark Twain