I'd love to hear your ideas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2010, 07:20 AM

I'd love to hear your ideas
OK again I hope this topic isn't a major retread for you guys, but here goes. As far as the vast majority of the world "religions" go I'm an absolute nonbeliever/atheist. The bible is interesting but not divine, and the same with all the other holy texts. OK so that being said, I'm still formulating what I DO believe. It wouldn't bother me if this was it, if I simply go back to being star stuff when I die, but I admit the human "conciousness" intrigues me. It could be purely chemical, but I admit sometimes I wonder. So what I'm saying is although any God I may believe is there has not given me any rules or instructions, I still sometimes think there may be more to humaness sometimes. These thoughts don't change my daya to day, and I can't rely on any of them when I go, but I do think about it and sometimes I do think there may just be something more to conciouness. Any thoughts??
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2010, 08:34 AM

RE: I'd love to hear your ideas
I think there is, Dregs.

I think our sense of belonging to something greater is what we all feel, regardless of whether we are religious or not.

For the religious, it is their congregation, their church, their denomination. When someone adheres to these entities, they feel fulfilled (at least, that's what I use to think when I was a Christian). The problem is that being part of a congregation, a church, a denomination seems to create a divide among people as well, usually with catastrophic results.

For the non-religious (and I speak from my perspective, which may apply to most Atheists), I think the whole belonging excludes the theist points above, and goes WAY beyond...

What do I mean?

You mentioned 'star stuff' in your OP. Since our bodies, our world is made up of the stuff found in abundance in the universe, I think it goes without saying that most non-theists see themselves as part of the greater universe...I may be wrong on this point, but that's how I reflect on my own existence.

When I look up at the stars on a clear night, I don't think 'hey, god made the stars so beautiful', I think instead 'wow, that's where we came from, and that's where we should be going'...

So, it could very well be chemicals firing off in our heads that give us that feeling of oneness, but it is human conciousness that helps us to reflect on our own existence.

The only rule I ever plan on living by is 'just be'.
03-05-2010, 08:44 AM

No I dont think there is anything more to human consciousness than there is to the consciousness of any other living creature on this planet.

We like to think we are special and that there is more to it, but that is only wishful thinking. As evolved as our intellect may be, in the end it is the same as that of our more primitive ancestors (who we would never consider as being transcendant), just more advanced.
03-05-2010, 09:04 AM
(03-05-2010 08:44 AM)DrNekoDR Wrote:  No I dont think there is anything more to human consciousness than there is to the consciousness of any other living creature on this planet.

We like to think we are special and that there is more to it, but that is only wishful thinking. As evolved as our intellect may be, in the end it is the same as that of our more primitive ancestors (who we would never consider as being transcendant), just more advanced.

DrNeko hit the nail on the head for me.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Personally, I'm with Doc N as well. Its a pleasant fantasy to think we are special, but in reality, I don't think we are. At least no more special than any other form of life in our universe.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
03-05-2010, 01:40 PM

(03-05-2010 09:54 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Personally, I'm with Doc N as well. Its a pleasant fantasy to think we are special, but in reality, I don't think we are. At least no more special than any other form of life in our universe.

OK first of all thanks for the replies. I don't know that I would describe my feeling as feeling we as humans are special, chosen, or the better than other lifeforms. It's more a feeling that there is more to consiouness than what science can explain. I mean could God simply be a superinteligent being performing an experiment in test tube? Sure why not. I mean I definitely think we as "earthlings" are not alone in the universe. Maybe its just that I'm so intrigued by the complexity of our brain. I don't know. I can certainly see it from all your perspective too. I guess the most important thing is that I am in control of me period.
03-05-2010, 02:27 PM
(03-05-2010 01:40 PM)Dregs Wrote:  It's more a feeling that there is more to consiouness than what science can explain.

And why do you think this?

Quote:I guess the most important thing is that I am in control of me period.

Well, no, you're not. Causality's a ***** like that. Tongue

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Learning to love your enemy. Hobbitgirl 9 189 02-07-2014 06:15 AM
Last Post: CiderThinker
  Yet more evidence that God is Love Miss Meng 56 993 18-03-2014 01:29 PM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  Does "Tough Love" work on Creationists and other Theists? rampant.a.i. 20 333 12-03-2014 11:12 AM
Last Post: alpha male
  Do you also hate/love Bill O'Reilly????? netninja 68 1,182 03-03-2014 02:17 PM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  People sacrifice kindness and humanity for ideas donotwant 14 305 27-02-2014 04:28 AM
Last Post: donotwant
  Oh Deus Ex, how I love thee. TSG 8 286 24-02-2014 07:06 AM
Last Post: donotwant
  (Chuckle) Love It When A Preacher Packs It In! Minimalist 6 201 14-02-2014 04:08 AM
Last Post: Mathilda