I despise Christianity.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2014, 12:46 PM
RE: I despise Christianity.
(26-04-2014 12:00 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  
(24-04-2014 07:01 PM)Banjo Wrote:  As seen elsewhere, you may have noted I am less than patient with Christianity. Actually, I despise it.

You must be very lonely. If you despise the philosophy you despise the man, and if you despise the Christians you despise most of the civilized world.

[Image: tolerance%20bumper.jpg]

You may believe that - not everyone does. Try separating the person and the belief.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2014, 12:50 PM
(26-04-2014 12:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-04-2014 12:00 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  You must be very lonely. If you despise the philosophy you despise the man, and if you despise the Christians you despise most of the civilized world.

[Image: tolerance%20bumper.jpg]

You may believe that - not everyone does. Try separating the person and the belief.

Why doesn't the OP try that out?
Find all posts by this user
26-04-2014, 02:21 PM
(26-04-2014 12:20 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  
(26-04-2014 12:15 PM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  Perhaps so. But what about a philosophy that inspires somebody to hurt others?

If Christianity inspired everyone who was Christian to violence then the West would've gone to the dogs long, long ago. The mainstream Christian sects are, surprisingly, not Hitler.

I admit, that is a decent counterpoint. I am actually quite fond of Unitarian Universalists and the very most progressive philosophies, seeing as the focus there is often on kindness and improving the here and now based on current knowledge. What I meant to say, however, is there are certain teachings in the bible that literalists and fundementalists use to bully minorities and that hurt children. I have some sympathy for them, as I know many of them do what they do with good intentions, but I cannot approve of what some of their actions do to innocent bystanders.
26-04-2014, 04:23 PM
(26-04-2014 12:50 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  
(26-04-2014 12:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  You may believe that - not everyone does. Try separating the person and the belief.

Why doesn't the OP try that out?

He quite clearly does. Re-read the OP.

26-04-2014, 05:21 PM
(26-04-2014 04:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-04-2014 12:50 PM)An_Theist Wrote:  Why doesn't the OP try that out?

He quite clearly does. Re-read the OP.

In fairness Chas. He kind of doesn't, which is why I went at him in the other thread. Admittedly I went a bit overboard but his general gist was he hated Christians.

An_theist ... I hate religious belief systems but not religious people. Your opening post on this thread states you think that's impossible. Do you REALLY think that or have you just came out swinging? Big Grin ... I suspect it's the latter.

To clarify my position, I have never met one person that I agree on everything with. Yet I don't hate everyone. Ricky Gervais put it well when he said 'saying I hate Christians because I hate Christianity, is like saying I hate people with cancer because I hate cancer!'

Not just religion but any belief system that positions itself against empirical evidence and then tries to make a direct impact on the society or world should be able to defend itself. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence and all that. So lets see mate, are you here to talk, or flame war? Smile

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 2 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
26-04-2014, 09:19 PM
(26-04-2014 05:21 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  
(26-04-2014 04:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  He quite clearly does. Re-read the OP.

In fairness Chas. He kind of doesn't, which is why I went at him in the other thread. Admittedly I went a bit overboard but his general gist was he hated Christians.

An_theist ... I hate religious belief systems but not religious people. Your opening post on this thread states you think that's impossible. Do you REALLY think that or have you just came out swinging? Big Grin ... I suspect it's the latter.

To clarify my position, I have never met one person that I agree on everything with. Yet I don't hate everyone. Ricky Gervais put it well when he said 'saying I hate Christians because I hate Christianity, is like saying I hate people with cancer because I hate cancer!'

Not just religion but any belief system that positions itself against empirical evidence and then tries to make a direct impact on the society or world should be able to defend itself. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence and all that. So lets see mate, are you here to talk, or flame war? Smile

You said it right.
[+] 2 users Like Bible Belt Brawler's post
27-04-2014, 05:39 PM

I have to admit yes, because i realized I hold distaste for atheism yet hold patience with atheists. (In today's world, it's just as bad to hate all atheists then it is to hate all Christians)
[+] 2 users Like An_Theist's post
27-04-2014, 05:47 PM

In fairness, re-read the OP.

27-04-2014, 08:38 PM
I dislike Christianity or any religion for that matter because it can be used and taken advantage of to make good normal people commit horrid and disgusting things.

And things like this which upset me and should be criminalized. It allows the most ignorant of people to do the most stupid of things.

That is what worries me of religion and many people are fine and alright and just don't know much about religion or even their own in general. It is simply taught like Santa Claus that they all accept. I believe they are fine but those searching for power and will misuse it or have hatred will cause horror among others.

I believe politics are nearly identical of how radical people can become but religion has the excuse of God and that places it on a completely other tier.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 1 user Likes ShirubaDangan's post
27-04-2014, 09:10 PM
(27-04-2014 05:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-04-2014 05:21 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  In fairness Chas. He kind of doesn't, which is why I went at him in the other thread. Admittedly I went a bit overboard but his general gist was he hated Christians.

In fairness, re-read the OP.

The guy spelt his stance out clearly Chas in a different thread.

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post