I despise Christianity.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2014, 05:41 PM
RE: I despise Christianity.
(27-04-2014 08:38 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  I dislike Christianity or any religion for that matter because it can be used and taken advantage of to make good normal people commit horrid and disgusting things.

And things like this which upset me and should be criminalized. It allows the most ignorant of people to do the most stupid of things.

That is what worries me of religion and many people are fine and alright and just don't know much about religion or even their own in general. It is simply taught like Santa Claus that they all accept. I believe they are fine but those searching for power and will misuse it or have hatred will cause horror among others.

I believe politics are nearly identical of how radical people can become but religion has the excuse of God and that places it on a completely other tier.

Makes me sick that that couple and others like them can do something like that and be so hypocritical.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bible Belt Brawler's post
28-04-2014, 06:10 PM
(27-04-2014 09:10 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 05:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  In fairness, re-read the OP.

The guy spelt his stance out clearly Chas in a different thread.

Well, that's a different thread. He didn't say any such thing here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-04-2014, 10:56 PM
(26-04-2014 05:21 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  
(26-04-2014 04:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  He quite clearly does. Re-read the OP.

In fairness Chas. He kind of doesn't, which is why I went at him in the other thread. Admittedly I went a bit overboard but his general gist was he hated Christians.

An_theist ... I hate religious belief systems but not religious people. Your opening post on this thread states you think that's impossible. Do you REALLY think that or have you just came out swinging? Big Grin ... I suspect it's the latter.

To clarify my position, I have never met one person that I agree on everything with. Yet I don't hate everyone. Ricky Gervais put it well when he said 'saying I hate Christians because I hate Christianity, is like saying I hate people with cancer because I hate cancer!'

Not just religion but any belief system that positions itself against empirical evidence and then tries to make a direct impact on the society or world should be able to defend itself. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence and all that. So lets see mate, are you here to talk, or flame war? Smile

I would like to say that I think that it is fair game to hate Christians if one hates Christianity, although I think the problem exists in the fact that you are now painting all Christians with a single stroke. I personally believe that any religion done right should be one's first defining characteristic. Before I describe myself as anything else, I describe myself as Catholic. Since I see the world in a catholic way. If I believe that my primary purpose in life is to achieve Heaven then how am I supposed to reconcile that with someone who believes that there is only one life, so get the best out of it as you can. This is why I think it is impossible to separate religion and politics (although I still believe the institutions should be separate).

This is also why I stopped bothering to ask the question of what I would do if I was an atheist, since in order for that to happen, I would have to turn into a completely different person. So I think it is perfectly legitimate to hate someone for being part of a certain religion, although I do think you have to narrow it down to something less broad then Christian.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
28-04-2014, 11:04 PM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2014 08:27 AM by Hobbitgirl.)
I personally struggle with "hate the religion not the person".

Because I see it not being that different from "Love the sinner, hate the sin" I dont buy it when christians say that, so I have a hard time justifying the former.

Perhaps you could clarify the difference? But perhaps I'm the only one who doesnt buy into the love the sinner crap.

*edit* I guess I should make it clear what I mean now that I've slept on it.

I have a few friends that are christians, and I do love them. But I dont think its a simple to dismiss their beliefs as "well just ignore it" There is a part of me that will always want to smack some sense into them. Lol.
28-04-2014, 11:13 PM
(28-04-2014 06:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-04-2014 09:10 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  The guy spelt his stance out clearly Chas in a different thread.

Well, that's a different thread. He didn't say any such thing here.

Meh, I'm not that bothered anyway Chas, he seems like a cool guy and it's a minor difference of opinion. He's obviously got more to worry about than helping me down from my high horse. Smile

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!