I did it! I came out!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2012, 07:32 AM
RE: I did it! I came out!
Glad to hear it. I've never had to deal with "coming out" myself (lifelong atheist, always open about it), but I've heard that it can be pretty frightening. I hope everything goes well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2012, 10:42 AM
(14-11-2012 06:07 PM)kpax Wrote:  I just came out on Facebook about 5 minutes ago on in private message to several of my most religious and closest friends and family. It was a small group but I know if I could get it out and tell the ones I was most in anxiety about it would make everyone else easier.

I'm not sure how I'm feeling just yet all I know is I sat there for about 30 minutes trying to get the courage to press the send button. Now I'm shaking like a leaf waiting for the responses!!

I will let you know how it goes.....
Congratulations, that took courage! Smile Thumbsup

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
15-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Everyone responded except for two people. Everyone basically said they still love me. Smile

Went better than expected. *whew* I'm just glad nobody wanted to drag me into church to perform an exorcism or wanted to cut me out of their life. I guess time will tell how well they eventually take things.

I'm freeeeeeeeeeee!

Thanks for the support everyone. Smile
[+] 6 users Like kpax's post
15-11-2012, 06:47 PM
(15-11-2012 06:34 PM)kpax Wrote:  Everyone responded except for two people. Everyone basically said they still love me. Smile

Went better than expected. *whew* I'm just glad nobody wanted to drag me into church to perform an exorcism or wanted to cut me out of their life. I guess time will tell how well they eventually take things.

I'm freeeeeeeeeeee!

Too bad, ya gotta like a good exorcism. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-11-2012, 07:08 PM
I did it! I came out!
(15-11-2012 06:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-11-2012 06:34 PM)kpax Wrote:  Everyone responded except for two people. Everyone basically said they still love me. Smile

I'm freeeeeeeeeeee!

Too bad, ya gotta like a good exorcism. Yes

I always found them rather tedious.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
15-11-2012, 11:10 PM

I'm freeeeeeeeeeee!

Careful now, the 2 that haven't responded yet might just be rounding up a mob with pitchforks and torches to drag you off to church for the exorcism they are planning. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
16-11-2012, 12:07 AM
I did it! I came out!
How did your daughter respond? Or have you still not told her yet?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
16-11-2012, 01:01 AM
I haven't told her yet but I have been testing the waters. She's only 12 so I'm not sure how to bring it up.

We were watching Mythbusters so I said:

"Hey, did you know they are all atheists?"
She says "What's that?"
"Someone who doesn't believe in God."
"Oh, okay."

No freak outs or anything.

I also asked her once if people believed in something different from her such as multiple Gods, etc, what would she think? She said it would be fine as long as they allowed her to believe what she wanted to believe in.

I think she will be okay with it but she pretty much grew up in church. I'm really not sure how to bring it up just yet but I know I better do it soon before she hears it from someone else.
[+] 3 users Like kpax's post
16-11-2012, 07:58 AM
(15-11-2012 07:08 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(15-11-2012 06:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  Too bad, ya gotta like a good exorcism. Yes

I always found them rather tedious.

Well, duh, you were doing the Baptist ones. Angry

I'm talkin' about the full-on Catholic ones, or the Santaria ones.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
16-11-2012, 09:33 AM
(16-11-2012 07:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-11-2012 07:08 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I always found them rather tedious.

Well, duh, you were doing the Baptist ones. Angry

I'm talkin' about the full-on Catholic ones, or the Santaria ones.
Yeah, that stuff scared the Hell out of me... Confused