"I do not believe in the existence of any god(s)"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2014, 09:00 AM
RE: "I do not believe in the existence of any god(s)"
I think for the majority of theists I've engaged in this discussion, their misunderstanding that atheism is a disbelief in or a rejection of god really comes from never actively thinking about what atheism is. They just assume that there are two kinds of people in the world - those who believe and those who disbelieve and never give it more thought than that.

It does not help that the English language is ambiguous, at least in common usage, with the phrase the OP used in the title of the thread: "I do not believe in the existence of god" can and usually is used to mean "I disbelieve in the existence of god." While it does not literally mean that, it is commonly used that way. In fact, I might even go so far as to say that MOST people express disbelief (in anything, gods or otherwise) without using the word "disbelief"; they simply say "I don't believe in that" which is technically, literally, incorrect (for expressing disbelief) but commonly used anyway.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
07-08-2014, 09:03 AM
To be honest, I'm past caring what theists think of my atheism....

If they have an issue, they can fuck off...

Got more important things to do than worry about theists getting the wrong end of the stick.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-08-2014, 09:56 AM
(07-08-2014 02:51 AM)Ace Wrote:  why do the faithful keep confusing it for "I believe god(s) doesn't exist" ?

why is it that they can't see the obvious difference ?

the latter is making the claim that god doesn't exist, the former is saying that they lack the belief that god exists

There are different types of the "off position" or "empty glass".
which is what the position "atheist" is.

There is a past, present, and future tense even atheists don't consider.

For me I hold the past as not only "off" but.
absurd and impossible and not worth considering as claims go. I also am "off" on all current claims. I am only strictly and semantically "agnostic" about the future in what we "might" find, although still science is pointing away from the need of a god or gods anyway.

The only place we see cognition is in biological evolution. I have no doubt that life after I die will be the same as it was before I was born. That is my current position and will remain so until convincing evidence otherwise presents itself. I will not hold my breath either.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user