I don't Know What Career Path to Take

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2018, 12:23 PM
I don't Know What Career Path to Take
I know that this isn't a career forum. If anyone feels that this needs to be removed that is okay with me. I need some advice though.
I'm currently a freshmen in college just taking my basics. Next week I have an appointment with my advisor to schedule classes for next semester. I don't know what I want to major in though. I go to a community college and my main two options for now are associates in science or associates in arts. I've really thought about being a teacher, but that's mainly because I want to coach basketball. I've heard so much negativity about going into education these days though. I don't know of anything else I would enjoy. Maybe physical training because I like to eat right and lift weights?

Does anybody know of a good quiz I could take to figure out some major ideas? Any advice for me? Thanks!

Edit:
I'm almost starting to think that I'm wasting my time in college. I'm expected to go though. I had a 3.9 GPA in high school. I've seen no other option for me besides college. I've always worked really hard in school so I can handle the work, but I change my mind all the time. Sometimes I change my mind in the same day. I'm just really confused right now. I've had people tell me to join the peace corps, take a year off and travel, take a year off and get a manufacturing job, etc. I'm pretty lost.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes goldenarm's post
08-03-2018, 12:35 PM
RE: I don't Know What Career Path to Take
(08-03-2018 12:23 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  I know that this isn't a career forum. If anyone feels that this needs to be removed that is okay with me. I need some advice though.
I'm currently a freshmen in college just taking my basics. Next week I have an appointment with my advisor to schedule classes for next semester. I don't know what I want to major in though. I go to a community college and my main two options for now are associates in science or associates in arts. I've really thought about being a teacher, but that's mainly because I want to coach basketball. I've heard so much negativity about going into education these days though. I don't know of anything else I would enjoy. Maybe physical training because I like to eat right and lift weights?

Does anybody know of a good quiz I could take to figure out some major ideas? Any advice for me? Thanks!

Edit:
I'm almost starting to think that I'm wasting my time in college. I'm expected to go though. I had a 3.9 GPA in high school. I've seen no other option for me besides college. I've always worked really hard in school so I can handle the work, but I change my mind all the time. Sometimes I change my mind in the same day. I'm just really confused right now. I've had people tell me to join the peace corps, take a year off and travel, take a year off and get a manufacturing job, etc. I'm pretty lost.

Maybe look into physical therapy?

Involves helping others, coaching, often quite rewarding because it tends to produce nice progress, in the health field....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
08-03-2018, 12:36 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2018 12:42 PM by goldenarm.)
(08-03-2018 12:35 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(08-03-2018 12:23 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  I know that this isn't a career forum. If anyone feels that this needs to be removed that is okay with me. I need some advice though.

Edit:

Maybe look into physical therapy?

Involves helping others, coaching, often quite rewarding because it tends to produce nice progress, in the health field....

I've actually thought about physical therapy and I planned on going into that for a while. I changed my mind of course as I wasn't sure if I would enjoy doing it. I think a lot of it has to do with my lack of confidence in my ability to learn that kind of content. Also, 7 years in school is a long time. I could, however, be a PTA I would probably have to go straight to a PT school I assume.
08-03-2018, 01:05 PM
Not everyone your age has a laser focus on a career path, and it's quite okay and expected not to be sure about what you want to do.

My advice would be to stay in school and get whatever degree reflects your area of interest, regardless of how applicable you think it may be in the "real world." Employers like college degrees, including from community college, because they show you can stick to a plan, are focused, and can absorb instructions and complete assignments. The exact focus of the degree is often less important, unless you're heading for a technical field like accounting or engineering, etc.

Judging from some of your other posts, you seem to be especially interested in ideas around justice, law, and social issues. Maybe an associates in criminal justice or political science would position you for an entry level job on one of those fields and you can go on from there. Or maybe you can get an associates in business/management and pivot your athletic knowledge into sports management or recreation program development.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
08-03-2018, 01:15 PM
(08-03-2018 01:05 PM)julep Wrote:  Not everyone your age has a laser focus on a career path, and it's quite okay and expected not to be sure about what you want to do.

My advice would be to stay in school and get whatever degree reflects your area of interest, regardless of how applicable you think it may be in the "real world." Employers like college degrees, including from community college, because they show you can stick to a plan, are focused, and can absorb instructions and complete assignments. The exact focus of the degree is often less important, unless you're heading for a technical field like accounting or engineering, etc.

Judging from some of your other posts, you seem to be especially interested in ideas around justice, law, and social issues. Maybe an associates in criminal justice or political science would position you for an entry level job on one of those fields and you can go on from there. Or maybe you can get an associates in business/management and pivot your athletic knowledge into sports management or recreation program development.

Thank you! Those are some great ideas. I do like social issues. Regarding sports management and that sort of thing I have considered that as well. Finally, recreation program development sounds interesting. I'm not sure if I've heard much about that field. I will have to check it out.
08-03-2018, 01:27 PM
Aim for something that makes you happy. Dreading work every day and living only just to get to the next weekend sucks.

Take any test results that say what career path you should follow with a grain of salt. The answers to mine in high school did a lot for making me say "well fuck that, I have NO desire to do that---why even bother to go to college?"

Do what YOU want to do.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
08-03-2018, 01:35 PM
You're gonna find negativity in every field. Ask some trainers and they'll tell you they're just glorified steroid salesmen. Up to you to make something more of it than the complainers that make up the majority of every profession.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
08-03-2018, 01:49 PM

Edit:

At least you can know that you are not unusual in not knowing what you want to do at your age. I was the same way, but first going to college thinking I knew exactly what I wanted to do only to find that I changed my mind.

There are lots of options without college, but what you want for income and what sort of work you are willing to do will weigh in on what your options really are.

Do you like physical jobs? I myself hate that sort of work, but the skilled trades (electrician, plumber, carpenter, etc) are woefully understaffed with no real pipeline of new talent to replace those in high positions that are retiring. A lot of smart people who used to go into these jobs just don't anymore because they are "supposed" to go to college. Yes, the low end peon makes a basic, but livable income. However smart, hard working people typically progress to advanced positions, where making more than the average person with a college degree is quite doable.

If you're more the desk worker type of person, with a community college degree you could work towards some sort of position as a manager. Pick any industry you want to try out, and then apply for an office type job...but go to work with the idea that you are not going to be satisfied staying put. Make it clear you are looking to get ahead and put in the work and learn everything you can to prove it. Bachelors and masters degrees in business didn't used to exist until just a few decades ago, and yet, we got by just fine. Once you are in an job, nobody gives a crap about your college degree--performance matters. Don't get me wrong, learning skills matters, but the dirty secret is you can learn anything in the business world all on your own. There are lots of free college content (like MIT's open courseware) where you could look up a few courses and see what their reading list is. If you progress to the point where you need an actual MBA, that is just the sort of degree that has lots of options to complete for people who are already in a career. Some businesses will even offer tuition assistance to help on those costs while you work for them if you agree to stick around for a few years after you get your degree.

If you don't care about income, then really you can do whatever you want Smile
08-03-2018, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2018 02:53 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(08-03-2018 12:23 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  Does anybody know of a good quiz I could take to figure out some major ideas? Any advice for me? Thanks!

Edit:
I'm almost starting to think that I'm wasting my time in college.

I'm still trying to figure out my profession, and I retired recently.
Hobo

Seriously, I agree with Julep. Get your degree. I dropped out of college and regretted it, plus you need a degree for almost anything interesting these days. A college degree shows you're trainable for something more specific. The "more specific" will likely come after you get your degree.

My general suggestion is to write out all the occupations you would hate, then choose among whatever are left. And remember, your opportunities are just as likely to pick something for you as you are. Your best strategy is to make yourself available to the widest range of opportunities you might actually be interested in.

That you don't know exactly what you want to do can work in your favor. It means you are adaptable and may be happy in a number of occupations.
08-03-2018, 02:43 PM
I'd slightly modify the overall degree theory by saying that some type of education is important. I make that distinction because we're reaching a point where many relatively short term vocational programs are starting to exceed the demand for traditional degrees. In any case, especially with the way automation is going, you don't wanna be unskilled labor in the not so distant future. Heck, even with non traditional options like coursera.org alone you can learn everything you need, perhaps with the addition of a couple inexpensive certification exams, to begin a lucrative career.

It's okay to change your mind, but I'd recommend not going the "I'm just taking a break route". It's statistically risky, meaning the vast majority of people who take a break find themselves still off course and undecided years later, but with less to show for their work performed without specific objectives. You're better off always staying on some sort of target, even that target changes from time to time or every other day.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post