I don't Know What Career Path to Take

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2018, 03:55 PM
RE: I don't Know What Career Path to Take
I agree with yak that a break can be hard to come back from.

Take the courses you have to have no matter what you end up as a degree goal. Fill in a class here or there trying out some things you have an interest in. You might find a whole other educational path that way. This is the time to try things out; before you are locked in on one thing.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. -JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
09-03-2018, 04:12 AM
Unless you have a specific career in mind, and then follow the relevent paths to get that career, I think most people would say that they ended up doing something that probably wasn't their first choice.

For example, I always wanted to be a firefighter. I went to cadets thing and everything, but as I grew older I wanted it less and less, and ended up studying computers (how to build/software stuff etc) at college. Straight out of college, I had to get any job so did all sorts of shit (bar work/peeling potatoes in a kitchen/factory work etc) before I managed to blag my way into an office at 18. It was Sales, but it was in the environment I wanted. I didn't go to university so my options were limited, IE I didn't have the qualificaitons, but most employers train their staff and I've picked up A) experience and B) other qualification through working. After a few years in the sales place, I managed to get in at an entry level posistion for an IT support company. After putting in the work and learning on the job, I moved up an eventually out to where I am now.

I now earn "good" money, despite never attending university or having any "real" qualifications. I got a basic certificate from college, but it wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. I've learnt over the years a lot of what gets you hired is your attitude to working and your experience. If you're willing to learn and show people that you can/will do what they ask you, then you'll go far. Having friends doesn't hurt either, but at the end of the day you still have to back up what you say in a working environment.

In terms of "career" , I personally found something I'm half decent at/could learn more of because I'm interested and started at the bottom. At 29, I'm earning a decent wage and have options in terms of earning more money/moving up if I need to. Eventually you start looking at work as "What is the company like/do they have progression routes".

All the best, don't worry so much about it now though. Focus on your studies and then when you get into the open world, go from there.

I'm training for a 10K run, read about it in my blog :
Lost In Pace - A Running Blog
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
09-03-2018, 07:25 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2018 07:29 AM by jennybee.)
(08-03-2018 12:23 PM)goldenarm Wrote:  I know that this isn't a career forum. If anyone feels that this needs to be removed that is okay with me. I need some advice though.
I'm currently a freshmen in college just taking my basics. Next week I have an appointment with my advisor to schedule classes for next semester. I don't know what I want to major in though. I go to a community college and my main two options for now are associates in science or associates in arts. I've really thought about being a teacher, but that's mainly because I want to coach basketball. I've heard so much negativity about going into education these days though. I don't know of anything else I would enjoy. Maybe physical training because I like to eat right and lift weights?

Does anybody know of a good quiz I could take to figure out some major ideas? Any advice for me? Thanks!

Edit:
I'm almost starting to think that I'm wasting my time in college. I'm expected to go though. I had a 3.9 GPA in high school. I've seen no other option for me besides college. I've always worked really hard in school so I can handle the work, but I change my mind all the time. Sometimes I change my mind in the same day. I'm just really confused right now. I've had people tell me to join the peace corps, take a year off and travel, take a year off and get a manufacturing job, etc. I'm pretty lost.

What do you wake up in the morning wanting to do? If it's play basketball, I know Dom suggested a Physical Therapist and you were possibly thinking about that as well...so maybe something in Sports Medicine?

Re: Physical Therapist/Occupational Therapist: There is a huge boom in the aging population with people living longer, in addition to people of all ages needing rehabilitation due to a variety of circumstances. The career outlook for this kind of field is very good. You could still coach basketball on the side and probably enhance your game as you learn more about how to maximize the physical body and reduce sports-related injury. So just something to think about in terms of those types of fields. Job stability is always a good thing to look at in terms of figuring out a career path.

If you are just starting out on your college journey (and I'm assuming you are in the U.S.), you need core classes (Science, Math, English, History)--so these won't really impact your major as it's something everyone, regardless of major, needs to take. So those courses are not wasted if you decide to change your major at some point.

Additionally, if you are going to a two-year college, and let's say you choose Education as your major and then you graduate and think "Ugh, I don't want to do that." No worries, when you transfer to a 4 year university, you are typically required to take electives. So all of those education courses are not wasted either, they're put in the Elective section and put toward your credits needed for graduation from a 4 year university.

If you don't think college is for you, which for some people it isn't, you need some sort of skill to survive in the world, imo. So maybe a trade school or starting at the ground floor in a company with a specialized niche who trains you--allowing you to work your way up into a management position.

Anyway, hope some of this helps Smile
09-03-2018, 08:13 AM
Whatever you do - avoid the herd.

Everybody who goes in for the mainstream later finds out that the jobs are limited there. You have to be outstanding just to score a mediocre job.

Develop a wide range of skills and try to excell.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
11-03-2018, 08:26 AM
A little late to the party but let me pile on a bit - don't worry about what you want to be when you grow up. Things have a way of working themselves out. My advice is stay in school and get an education. Between science and the arts, I'd recommend science but you can major in one and minor in the others. Get a 4 year degree and see where your interests are. Or, if you're interested in the trades, that is a good area to pursue. As someone else mentioned, there is soon going to be a shortage of skilled tradesmen. Electricians, plumbers, etc. make good money and they are in demand. If you have an aptitude for that kind of work (I don't, I would have starved if i had gone into that type of thing) you can make a good living. And, while it can be physically tougher on your body, it's a lot less stress in general than most white collar jobs.

But, you don't have to have it all figured out right now. So don't worry about it. When in doubt, stay in school and keep learning. There is no downside to that.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
11-03-2018, 09:38 AM
So, I wouldn't be giving this advice unless it had worked for both myself and my wife.
Find a recruiter. Join the military.
Yes, there's a lot of bullshit to put up with. A whole fucking LOT. But it sounds like on top of not figuring out what you want with your life, in the meantime, you're upset with what is expected of you. Fuck what's expected of you, put it on hold. Going into the military will give you the opportunity to work a decent paying job in a field that will give you good skills to work in the civilian world if you decide to get out, and if you decide to stay in, you get great retirement benefits at 20 years. Pretty much any other industry you work for will only give you a reserved parking space at 20 years. While you are working that decent paying job, with full health and dental benefits, and with travel opportunities, and with tuition assistance for FREE college courses, you can figure out what it is you really want to do with your life.
No, I'm not a recruiter. It just worked for me. I was spinning my wheels, figuring out what I wanted to do with myself. Joined up, reenlisted once, suddenly figured out I wanted to open a gun store, and now I'll be getting out at my 8 year mark. Worked for my wife too; she was attending college and it got too expensive, so she left, then in the middle of a 6 year enlistment not only paid off her student debt but figured out she wanted to be a marriage and family counselor. Now we're both working toward our goals- and, when we're both out, we'll be able to use the GI bill for more free college.
Look into it.

A Catholic, an Atheist, a Muslim, a Jew, a Hindu, a Baptist, and a Pastafarian all walk into a bar. They chat, drink, laugh, and have a good time. There's no joke to be had. It's what happens when you're not a dick.
[+] 3 users Like Sexy_Jesus's post