I don't agree with the anti-bullying movement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2015, 12:09 PM
RE: I don't agree with the anti-bullying movement
Whaddya guys think: I think if a thread doesn't receive a reply for a year (or some agreed time period) that thread should be locked automatically. Pretty sure the Deep Thoughtenator could implement that without too much effort? If someone really does want to re-discuss an old topic they can make a new thread, link the old discussion if relevant, or just copy paste the bits they want to respond to.

Threads like this one should never be resurrected IMO. They're prime examples of dog-return-to-vomit-itis for trolls.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2015, 01:56 PM
I think it's only natural for kids to form a pecking order, weed out the "weirdos," and attempt to enforce the social norms of their group and encourage conformity. It may not be "nice" to make fun of the 8th grade boy who doesn't realize he's supposed to wear deodorant, for example; but it's also potentially useful as kids start to figure out what elements of manner and appearance make them more or less attractive to each other, etc. There will always be followers who endeavor to follow the pack, and there will always be outsiders who either refuse to tow the line or are just unable to pick-up the cues. How many creative, artistic, visionary people might have turned out very differently had they been more well-liked, worn the right clothes, had the right hairstyle, etc? I don't know if I'd be as self-confident as I am at 36 if I hadn't been called a "freak" in high school, etc. I think the goal for parents, teachers, and authority figures ought to be to give kids the emotional tools they need to avoid having their self-esteem ruined by being teased or being the outsider; rather than the unrealistic and ill-advised quest of attempting to eradicate name-calling, bullying, hazing, etc.

But I also think there's a line we should try to keep children from crossing, where they veer too far from a natural impulse to ostracize and get into cruelty, harassment, etc. No child should have to suffer through online "smear campaigns" on Facebook designed to make the feel worthless and miserable to the point of contemplating suicide. That goes well beyond the "character-building" experience of sticking up for one's preferences and serves no purpose other than to hurt people. In cases like that though, I think the perpetrators need some kind of counseling or other efforts to get them to understand why their actions are cruel; not expulsion from school, or criminal charges, or some other consequence that will ruin their lives too.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
04-05-2015, 03:10 PM
(04-05-2015 12:09 PM)morondog Wrote:  Whaddya guys think:

Necroposters should be kilt. Unless it's a Gwynnies thread. Thumbsup

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
04-05-2015, 03:43 PM
(04-05-2015 01:56 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  ...There will always be followers who endeavor to follow the pack, and there will always be outsiders who either refuse to tow the line or are just unable to pick-up the cues. ...

*Toe the line

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2015, 03:51 PM
Mr Boston,you my friend have restored a lot of my faith in common sense in today's world,thank you
10-05-2015, 12:44 AM
(04-05-2015 08:35 AM)thatiowaperson Wrote:  ...social Darwinism...

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! Bad, BAD outdated social theory that has been used as a means of justifying racism and class oppression rather than actually bettering society.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
12-05-2015, 10:55 PM
(04-05-2015 08:35 AM)thatiowaperson Wrote:  I believe that as bad as it can be bullying can be its all part of social Darwinism, it strengthens the weaker ones of the whole and making them better off for the future if they choose to learn to fight back and not play victim when bullied. I was bullied when younger,but instead of playing victim I did something about it fought back worked even harder at things and in turn I ended befriending former bully's eventually. Its all about how you handle it and anti bullying isn't handling it its playing victim

This is like having sex with a 400 pound person in an elevator, it's wrong on so many levels.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post