"I don't believe in Heaven."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2013, 07:01 PM
"I don't believe in Heaven."
I was reading my son a story from Where the Sidewalk Ends just a little bit ago. It was called "Paul Bunyan." I've mentioned before that I "edit" stories that I read to him by skipping over "God-related" lines and such. Well, not tonight. Here is an excerpt from that poem:

He says, "There ain't no man alive can kill me,
Ain't no woman 'round can thrill me,
And I think heaven just might be a ball" ...says Paul.

So he died...and we cried.

But late one night the trees started shakin',
The dogs started howlin' and the earth started quakin',
And out of the ground with a "Hi, y'all"...come Paul!

He shook the dirt from off of his clothes,
He scratched his butt and wiped his nose.
"y'know, bein' dead wasn't no fun at all" ...says Paul.

He says, "Up in heaven they got harps on their knees,
They got clouds and wings but they got no trees.
I don't think that's much of a heaven at all" ...says Paul

So he jumps on his ox with a fare-thee-well,
He says, "I'll find out if they's trees in hell."
And he rode away, and that was all...we ever seen...of Paul.

I was cringing while reading it. I KNEW he would wonder about heaven and hell. I finished the story and went to turn off the light. As I turned on his nightlight, (we haven't spoken since finishing the poem) he is laying on his back with his hands behind his head. He had a thoughtful look on his face. He says simply, "I don't believe in heaven."

Exclamation

I paused and looked from side to side. (Not sure why I did that...) I said, "Really? Well, why do you say you don't believe?"

"Because I just don't, mom."

Big Grin Smile Heart Thumbsup

"That's interesting. Ya know, mom doesn't believe in heaven either. But that doesn't make me wrong. Just know that since you don't believe either, that doesn't make YOU wrong. But know that LOTS of other people and kids DO believe. Don't let them tell you that you are wrong. And you don't tell THEM they are wrong. Just because someone believes differently from us, doesn't mean anyone is wrong. Besides, we don't know for sure until we die. Nobody has proof, therefore nobody can know for certain."

"I know. If they say mean things, I'm just going to tell on them..."

"Good for you. Don't let people bully you." *Gives a big frickin hug*

Then I sang him a song and tucked him in. I'm am so proud right now. We have NEVER discussed religion in depth. I never told him there was or wasn't a heaven, hell, god or angels. I always just said that that's what many people believe. He didn't even know that I didn't believe. My little precious came up with his own belief. This is awesome.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like Peanut's post
20-03-2013, 07:21 PM
RE: "I don't believe in Heaven."
See? I told you it'd work out. Thumbsup

They are wrong, though. Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Misanthropik's post
20-03-2013, 07:21 PM
(20-03-2013 07:01 PM)Peanut Wrote:  I was reading my son a story from Where the Sidewalk Ends just a little bit ago. It was called "Paul Bunyan." I've mentioned before that I "edit" stories that I read to him by skipping over "God-related" lines and such. Well, not tonight. Here is an excerpt from that poem:

He says, "There ain't no man alive can kill me,
Ain't no woman 'round can thrill me,
And I think heaven just might be a ball" ...says Paul.

So he died...and we cried.

But late one night the trees started shakin',
The dogs started howlin' and the earth started quakin',
And out of the ground with a "Hi, y'all"...come Paul!

He shook the dirt from off of his clothes,
He scratched his butt and wiped his nose.
"y'know, bein' dead wasn't no fun at all" ...says Paul.

He says, "Up in heaven they got harps on their knees,
They got clouds and wings but they got no trees.
I don't think that's much of a heaven at all" ...says Paul

So he jumps on his ox with a fare-thee-well,
He says, "I'll find out if they's trees in hell."
And he rode away, and that was all...we ever seen...of Paul.

I was cringing while reading it. I KNEW he would wonder about heaven and hell. I finished the story and went to turn off the light. As I turned on his nightlight, (we haven't spoken since finishing the poem) he is laying on his back with his hands behind his head. He had a thoughtful look on his face. He says simply, "I don't believe in heaven."

Exclamation

I paused and looked from side to side. (Not sure why I did that...) I said, "Really? Well, why do you say you don't believe?"

"Because I just don't, mom."

Big Grin Smile Heart Thumbsup

"That's interesting. Ya know, mom doesn't believe in heaven either. But that doesn't make me wrong. Just know that since you don't believe either, that doesn't make YOU wrong. But know that LOTS of other people and kids DO believe. Don't let them tell you that you are wrong. And you don't tell THEM they are wrong. Just because someone believes differently from us, doesn't mean anyone is wrong. Besides, we don't know for sure until we die. Nobody has proof, therefore nobody can know for certain."

"I know. If they say mean things, I'm just going to tell on them..."

"Good for you. Don't let people bully you." *Gives a big frickin hug*

Then I sang him a song and tucked him in. I'm am so proud right now. We have NEVER discussed religion in depth. I never told him there was or wasn't a heaven, hell, god or angels. I always just said that that's what many people believe. He didn't even know that I didn't believe. My little precious came up with his own belief. This is awesome.

How old is he?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-03-2013, 07:23 PM
(20-03-2013 07:21 PM)Dom Wrote:  How old is he?
He just turned six two days ago Smile

Look at him: Got an independent mind and junk.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
20-03-2013, 07:25 PM
(20-03-2013 07:21 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  They are wrong, though. Drinking Beverage
Yeah, but my biggest fear is him getting bullied for ANYTHING, especially his or his mom's religious views. So to stop it before it starts, I'm going to make sure he treats others as he wishes to be treated. I'll slowly teach him how to handle himself in specific situations as they come up and he grows older...and stronger Drinking Beverage

20-03-2013, 07:29 PM
(20-03-2013 07:25 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(20-03-2013 07:21 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  They are wrong, though. Drinking Beverage
Yeah, but my biggest fear is him getting bullied for ANYTHING, especially his or his mom's religious views. So to stop it before it starts, I'm going to make sure he treats others as he wishes to be treated. I'll slowly teach him how to handle himself in specific situations as they come up and he grows older...and stronger Drinking Beverage
I'mma teach him how to fight. [Image: fighting0030.gif] Get him curb-stompin' them religious bitch-ass kids. Flex

[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
20-03-2013, 07:36 PM
6 and already thinking for himself. You've got yourself a bonifide skeptic there. That is awesome.

Just an outsider looking inn.
[+] 3 users Like Foxcanine1's post
20-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Beside him learning how to spell and write his own sentences recently, this is one of the proudest moments of my life! I thought I'd share with all my friends on here.

My son is amazing Smile The best part about it is that I DIDN'T TELL HIM WHAT TO THINK.

20-03-2013, 07:41 PM
(20-03-2013 07:29 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I'mma teach him how to fight. [Image: fighting0030.gif] Get him curb-stompin' them religious bitch-ass kids. Flex
Just the bolded part I "liked," Miso... He's going to be a good boy Angel

20-03-2013, 07:56 PM
(20-03-2013 07:41 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(20-03-2013 07:29 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I'mma teach him how to fight. [Image: fighting0030.gif] Get him curb-stompin' them religious bitch-ass kids. Flex
Just the bolded part I "liked," Miso... He's going to be a good boy Angel
That's what I'm saying. Drinking Beverage