"I don't believe in Heaven."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2013, 03:42 PM
RE: "I don't believe in Heaven."
(21-03-2013 03:35 PM)f stop Wrote:  
(20-03-2013 07:01 PM)Peanut Wrote:  He didn't even know that I didn't believe. My little precious came up with his own belief. This is awesome.
I hate to rain on your parade but I doubt many child psychologists would agree with you. A six year old is probably incapable of critical thinking but they soak up information like a sponge. He probably did know you didn't believe. Somehow he learned his catechism and you've reinforced it with the reward of your approval.

I bet you're a hoot at parties.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
21-03-2013, 03:44 PM
(20-03-2013 07:01 PM)Peanut Wrote:  He didn't even know that I didn't believe. My little precious came up with his own belief. This is awesome.
I hate to rain on your parade but I doubt many child psychologists would agree with you. A six year old is probably incapable of critical thinking but they soak up information like a sponge. He probably did know you didn't believe. Somehow he learned his catechism and you've reinforced it with the reward of your approval.
Your premise is faulty, because it is not set upon stable ground.

You've lost before you began.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-03-2013, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2013 04:08 PM by Peanut.)
Mommy never said anything about religion to him. I'm aware of the things children can pick up and understand. Adults don't give them enough credit as to how intelligent they really are...

I don't feel as though my "parade has been rained upon." I'm still proud.

I also didn't "reward" him. If you read my first question after he told me, I IMMEDIATELY asked him why he thought that way. I have studied psychology, actually. I know how much a parent can influence a child's way of thinking. I kept a neutral face. I've raised the kid. I know how to hide my emotions from him so I can get an accurate answer:

Earlier, I unplugged the toaster to stick a utensil in it so I can get a yellow balloon that was melted on the bottom. As I was doing that, he came into the kitchen. I said never to copy what "mom's doing right now. We should never stick stuff in a toaster..." *didn't even make eye-contact. I continued to do what I was doing.*

"I didn't put that balloon in there!"

I didn't accuse and I didn't imply that I would be mad. I made no mention of what I would do if I found out it was him or if he would be punished. (opposite of "reward.")

EDIT: No mention of a balloon was made known before the "confession."

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
21-03-2013, 04:15 PM

Bah humbug. Little fuckers are all around us. ... and they scare the shit outta me. Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
21-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Oh yeah. My son woke me up today by exclaiming, "Mom! My tooth is loose!" He wiggled one of the front bottom ones.

My first thought was, "Aww..." And THEN I thought about whether the Tooth Fairy is going to make an appearance. I didn't even want to claim some fat dude brought him toys every Christmas Eve. But I caved: There's something amazing about a little boy getting super excited about some "magic." Besides, he'll learn like all the other kids one day at recess that Santa isn't real.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
21-03-2013, 05:56 PM
You have a cute looking Kid there Peanut. I especially like this part of your post......
(20-03-2013 07:01 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
"That's interesting. Ya know, mom doesn't believe in heaven either. But that doesn't make me wrong. Just know that since you don't believe either, that doesn't make YOU wrong. But know that LOTS of other people and kids DO believe. Don't let them tell you that you are wrong. And you don't tell THEM they are wrong. Just because someone believes differently from us, doesn't mean anyone is wrong. Besides, we don't know for sure until we die. Nobody has proof, therefore nobody can know for certain."

Which (in my eyes) is much more morally superior to religious people telling their kids that the atheist may go to hell and trying to get them to convert.

Live and let live.

Kudos Cool

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
21-03-2013, 05:58 PM
(21-03-2013 05:36 PM)Peanut Wrote:  Besides, he'll learn like all the other kids one day at recess that Santa isn't real.
Do it yourself. It'll be more fun that way.

Or I'll do it, just pay my fare and I will gladly do the deed.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
21-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Thanks, Bemore Smile

I also want to make it known that I did not jump up and yell, "Yes! That makes mama proud." I also didn't sit and say, "Good. Now, remember that. You are an ATHEIST. Spell it! Now repeat, 'there is no God' every night before bed. I want to make sure you know what I NEED you to be..." (Something like that.)

*giggle*

[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post