"I don't believe in the Bible but..."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2012, 10:58 PM
"I don't believe in the Bible but..."
I suriosly don't get this...

I speak to guite a few Christians everyday (still going to a Christian school until I finish school in two months) and they say the oddest thing.

"I don't believe in the Bible but I believe in God and Jesus."

I didn't think about it too much, but then I thought "WTF?"

I wanted to say "So basicly you believe in God & Jesus, but the only evidence (or proposistion) for their extistence is in the bible, wich you don't believe. W...What?

My guess is that they continue to believe in this for the same reason I did, fear of afterlife. You guys hear similer things?

[Image: hecf-1.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 11:13 PM
RE: "I don't believe in the Bible but..."
The Horus part...sorry I mean the Jesus part I don't fully comprehend as nothing else is retained with his name other than a bible. God is obviously more flexible. The modern age takes much of its very faith from books, rather they're 6,000 years old or they're 12 minutes old. I know many who are devout enough to not stray in pursuit of knowledge, but not gullible to believe in giant fishes that swallow and spit people out and boats smaller than Titanic accompanying billions of species.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
11-09-2012, 11:27 PM
I used to hold a similar position. I think it has something to do with Jesus and God seeming like common knowledge; with the Bible offering context to the characters (as opposed to being the sole source). It was when I realised that the Bible was the only source for these characters that I started looking into atheism.
[+] 1 user Likes caffeinesoul's post
12-09-2012, 02:27 AM
(11-09-2012 10:58 PM)hawkeyecf Wrote:  I suriosly don't get this...

I speak to guite a few Christians everyday (still going to a Christian school until I finish school in two months) and they say the oddest thing.

"I don't believe in the Bible but I believe in God and Jesus."

I didn't think about it too much, but then I thought "WTF?"

I wanted to say "So basicly you believe in God & Jesus, but the only evidence (or proposistion) for their extistence is in the bible, wich you don't believe. W...What?

My guess is that they continue to believe in this for the same reason I did, fear of afterlife. You guys hear similer things?

The only way for me to parse that rationally is if they only mean they don't believe in the literal truth of the Bible.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post