I don't believe the surveys!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2014, 12:55 PM
I don't believe the surveys!
I just don't believe the survey's that say atheists make up only 2% of the population (20% tops). Maybe it's the crowd I run with but everyone I know is either an atheist, agnostic or very tolerant of the atheist view. The free thinkers are by no means a majority in this country but lets face it, you get no brownie points for coming out of the closet. That's changing. But if I'd been surveyed 20 years ago I probably would have lied through my teeth and said I was a born again Christian.

I think the actual number of atheists, agnostics and don't-really-care-one-way-or-the-other is north of 20% and growing.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
18-07-2014, 01:04 PM
RE: I don't believe the surveys!
20% and growing sounds accurate.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
18-07-2014, 01:26 PM
The thing is that you cannot account for the number of atheists who are int he closet or unsure. I was like this for years.

When I was a Christian I hated discussions on god, disbelieved in prayer and was very militant with Christianity to some extent. Even after that along with Islam I spent years trying to be a theists and had developed some form of philosophical deism and tried meshing this with Satanism, Paganism and Hinduism.
I finally accepted being an atheist this year. Lots of people are atheists and unaware of it or not concerned. My sister is no different and is truly just an apatheist

Crazy you say?
Wouldn't a crazy man ask another man if he was crazy?! Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Slave's post
19-07-2014, 08:43 AM
There's something called the halo effect that comes up in polls. People want to give socially desirable answers. This skews the data. In terms of this particular poll, there is some social stigma attached with being an atheist. As such, the socially desirable answer is to say that you were a Christian.
[+] 2 users Like natachan's post
21-07-2014, 08:17 AM
(19-07-2014 08:43 AM)natachan Wrote:  There's something called the halo effect that comes up in polls. People want to give socially desirable answers. This skews the data. In terms of this particular poll, there is some social stigma attached with being an atheist. As such, the socially desirable answer is to say that you were a Christian.

Exactly. Plus, a lot of these surveys show two to three times the number of agnostics as atheists, and most of those "agnostics" would likely fit the definition of atheist used on this forum.

On a related note: you'll see people invoke the tiny number of atheists from surveys when they want to marginalize the view as some fringe group, and they'll lump all atheists, agnostics, and non-affiliated together when talking about "the rise of atheism". Go, intellectual honesty!

(18-07-2014 01:26 PM)Mr. Slave Wrote:  The thing is that you cannot account for the number of atheists who are int he closet or unsure. I was like this for years.

Very true. There was a point in my life (that happened to fall during the 2010 census, no less) when I still identified as Christian, despite knowing I didn't believe it. I just hadn't gotten to that point where I accepted my lack of belief. My stock answer at that point was "I don't know what I believe, anymore", but I still identified as Christian.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
21-07-2014, 08:19 AM
I wonder, which state do you live in? Because the south is still VERY religious in my experience. (I'm assuming you're talking about the US)

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
21-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Why is this is the conspiracy theories section?

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
21-07-2014, 03:43 PM
(18-07-2014 12:55 PM)f stop Wrote:  I just don't believe the survey's that say atheists make up only 2% of the population (20% tops). Maybe it's the crowd I run with but everyone I know is either an atheist, agnostic or very tolerant of the atheist view. The free thinkers are by no means a majority in this country but lets face it, you get no brownie points for coming out of the closet. That's changing. But if I'd been surveyed 20 years ago I probably would have lied through my teeth and said I was a born again Christian.

I think the actual number of atheists, agnostics and don't-really-care-one-way-or-the-other is north of 20% and growing.

Religions are losing members - "The number of Americans who do not identify with any religion continues to grow at a rapid pace. One-fifth of the U.S. public – and a third of adults under 30 – are religiously unaffiliated today, the highest percentages ever in Pew Research Center polling. The challenge to Christianity in the U.S. does not come from other religions but rather from a rejection of all forms of organized religion. The “Nones” (no stated religious preference, atheist, or agnostic) continue to grow, from 8.2% in 1990, to 14.1% in 2001, to 15.0% in 2008, to over 21% in 2012. 34% off all US adults under 30 are unaffiliated."

University of Arizona and Northwestern University recent study projects the extinction of religion in Australia, Austria, the Czech Republic, Canada, Finland, Ireland, New Zealand, the Netherlands and Switzerland. They will be entirely comprised of non-believers. The study also found that "Americans without affiliation comprise the only religious group growing in all 50 states." Religions is declining because of the increase in choice, education, information, bad press, the idea that it is useless or counterproductive and the idea that its fundamental principles are illogical."

Is religion dying? By Diana Butler Bass - “In the last dozen years, American religious institutions have undergone a myriad of crises--abuse scandals, conflicts, schism, and partisan political entanglement, to name a few--resulting in a great religious recession. Poll after poll reveals that organized religions --mainline Protestant, evangelical, Roman Catholic, and Jewish --are in varying states of disarray and decline. Sadness, even doom, has gripped many congregations, as the formerly faithful disaffiliate, and those who remain struggle to pay clergy and fix leaky roofs. The unaffiliated and atheists have been rising for thirty years.”

Atheism on the rise around the globe - "According to a new poll, religiosity worldwide is declining while more people say they are atheists. In the United States, a growing number consider themselves non-believers.
Atheism is on the rise in the United States and elsewhere while religiosity is declining, according to a new worldwide poll. “The Global Index of Religiosity and Atheism,” conducted by WIN-Gallup International headquartered in Switzerland, found that the number of Americans who say they are “religious” dropped from 73 percent in 2005 – when the poll was last conducted – to 60 percent. And 33 percent of the people polled said that they don’t consider themselves as a “religious person."

Drooling

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
21-07-2014, 05:19 PM
(21-07-2014 02:41 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Why is this is the conspiracy theories section?

Because he doesn't believe the data,
THEREFORE, the data are false,
THEREFORE, the data are fake,
THEREFORE, reptiloids.

QED.

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
21-07-2014, 05:32 PM
(21-07-2014 02:41 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Why is this is the conspiracy theories section?

Because aliens are most likely involved in this matter.
[Image: image.jpg?w=553&c=1]

Crazy you say?
Wouldn't a crazy man ask another man if he was crazy?! Hobo