I don't believe the surveys!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2014, 05:35 PM
RE: I don't believe the surveys!
Seems to me that a lot of people that say they are religious are more culturally religious than really involved in the following of the teachings of the faith they claim. Doing it because it's what their family did and what their friends and neighbors do instead of a conscious decision. I don't think that showing up for church every Sunday makes anyone truly religious. Saying it doesn't make it so.

Just my 2 cents.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
21-07-2014, 05:42 PM
The funny thing is. I don't know a single person who has ever taken part in one of these surveys. I know I haven't!

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
21-07-2014, 07:03 PM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2014 03:17 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I think a lot (obviously) has to do with the situation in which the survey is done.
If it's totally anonymous, and on paper, the results will be different than if it's face-to-face, or over the phone. People might have a hard time saying to a nice person's face "I don't have any religious beliefs", (or be able to think fast enough to say it in a way they would find polite and acceptable). It also depends on the answer choices offered. If none of the possible answers reflects their real views, the poll is skewed, unless the possible answers are read to them, and they get to pick a number, or range.

I was also surprised this weekend reading a Catholic's response to a newspaper's question concerning the sex-abuse scandal. He said he "believed that Jesus was about helping the poor". Well THAT'S all nice and fuzzy, but it sure is not "religion" in the strict Catholic sense. So I suspect the meaning of "religion" is also changing even for those who remain in it, and without some very specific questions, there would be no way of knowing what they are even talking about when they say they "belong to a religious community".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
22-07-2014, 06:26 AM
Re: I don't believe the surveys!
I recall seeing results of a british survey done that relates to peoples queries on label choice.

It actually asked people, if they chose labels what they meant Christian... Plenty said they were because, "they thought they were a good person" yet some of these people also said they didn't believe in God.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
24-07-2014, 10:06 AM
(21-07-2014 02:41 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Why is this is the conspiracy theories section?
Because I was at a loss as to where it should go.Unsure

Sapere aude
24-07-2014, 10:17 AM
(21-07-2014 05:35 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Seems to me that a lot of people that say they are religious are more culturally religious than really involved in the following of the teachings of the faith they claim. Doing it because it's what their family did and what their friends and neighbors do instead of a conscious decision. I don't think that showing up for church every Sunday makes anyone truly religious. Saying it doesn't make it so.

Just my 2 cents.
That kind of describes my mother. I think she saw going to church as a social requirement. My father never went to church. I think he was an atheist but he never really said so. So I really don't come from a religious family. I wonder if I would be an atheist today if I'd had the proper indoctrination.

Sapere aude