I don't get it... where do you heathens find these people?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2013, 10:02 AM
RE: I don't get it... where do you heathens find these people?
It's actually a matter of who you hang out with, and where you hang out.
That's the nonsense you get on the internet, where any nut job can get in, Like PleasyJebus, and Childeye. We've actually had not one serious liberal Christian scholar come by here. (except for Maklelan, and he wasn't a liberal, and he ran when Chas questioned his Mormonism).
As Bart Ehrman says, "If they only knew" (what went on in serious centers and schools).
Most of these people KC is complaining about are not really representative, at all.
As I have said before, people like PleasyJebus are a tiny minority, that exists in left field.
Most of the ones I know in real life are scholars, and serious intellectuals.
The nut jobs are not representative of the communities of faith I know about, and have contact with. There is in the US, a fairly large camp of literalist Fundies. That's not really true of Europeans, as much, (although it's there too, but to a lesser extent).
(Look who's defending whom ? ) Actually I'm not defending them, just saying, what is seen here is not at all representative, except if you prick any believer till they bleed, you get the same junk out .. even from the smart ones.
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2013, 10:11 AM
(10-09-2013 10:02 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ...
except if you prick any believer till they bleed, you get the same junk out .. even from the smart ones.
Weeping

Was that a dig at KC?

Bucky also haz scalpelz.

Big Grin

10-09-2013, 10:18 AM
(10-09-2013 08:32 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Nutso, whacko, judgmental, fundie Christians?

Everyone seems to have a story of at least one... most of y'all have been saturated by them. I was just reading Thomas' topic in Real Life Debates and saw amyb's response about her roommate.

My first thought was "lolwtf". But then I started thinking about all the other times over the past two years that I've read about people's experiences with crazy Christians.

I know I've asked before, but the question still stands.

I mean... I've been surrounded by Christians my whole life, and I've maybe experience the caliber of crazy that y'all do twice... and I live deep in Christian country... although, the Baton Rouge-New Orleans metro area isn't as fundie influenced as the rest of the Bible Belt but still...

I don't know how these Christians that y'all experience seemingly on a daily basis can function in society. They seem to be so out of touch with realiy that it's scary... and definitely not a representation of Christ or Christian behavior. Yes, we're to be set apart... but not in a way that frightens the crap out of a person because you're so weird.

Just tell me where to find these people... because... I can't. I would love to have a word with them.

Yes, but you're sane Thumbsup . I'm assuming here that you don't spend much time deliberately associating with the insane.

And, frankly, a fellow Christian is a little less likely to trip the crazy alarm.

For what it's worth, I have never encountered such craziness in person. Even in a forum like this it still only feels like maybe one in a thousand - and that's after the crazy-magnifying effects inherent to the medium!

That such stories are the ones shared and related is probably just the usual effect with outlying experiences: those are the ones that get remembered.

... this is my signature!
10-09-2013, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2013 02:16 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(10-09-2013 10:11 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(10-09-2013 10:02 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  ...
except if you prick any believer till they bleed, you get the same junk out .. even from the smart ones.
Weeping

Was that a dig at KC?

Bucky also haz scalpelz.

Big Grin

Not exactly. (Although at some level he knows predestination is nonsense).

I've said before, as I see it. the positions of :
1. Eastern mystical Taoism/Buddhism
2. Western Christian "mystical contemplation", ((as represented by Merton or the (medieval) "Cloud of the Unknowing"))
3. Agnostic atheism

are all, on a practical level, the same thing.
And I feel perfectly comfortable with anyway, any of them, care to express it.
Fundamentalism, is however, ignorance of everything to do with cultures, history and ancient languages and literature.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Unfortunately many of the worst experiences you have with "crazy" Christians are the ones you don't have a lot of choice about - because they are family. I would love for a nice understanding Christian like yourself to talk some sense into my fundie sister.... Want her number? Haha.

Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're an incredible slouch.

Martin Luther was the "father" of two movements - The Reformation and Nazism.
10-09-2013, 11:07 AM
I think KC is sending them out...so that he then looks less crazy. Tongue

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
10-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Except for an odd conversation with a co-worker (he was an engineer and a competent one) which I actually initiated my experience with the very whack job christians is limited to seeing their wackiness on the net.

kingschosen, move to the San Francisco Bay Area you will leave very much of that wackiness behind. And, if you currently live near New Orleans you will not be terribly offended by the wackiness here.
10-09-2013, 02:19 PM
(10-09-2013 08:32 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Nutso, whacko, judgmental, fundie Christians?

Everyone seems to have a story of at least one... most of y'all have been saturated by them. I was just reading Thomas' topic in Real Life Debates and saw amyb's response about her roommate.

My first thought was "lolwtf". But then I started thinking about all the other times over the past two years that I've read about people's experiences with crazy Christians.

I know I've asked before, but the question still stands.

I mean... I've been surrounded by Christians my whole life, and I've maybe experience the caliber of crazy that y'all do twice... and I live deep in Christian country... although, the Baton Rouge-New Orleans metro area isn't as fundie influenced as the rest of the Bible Belt but still...

I don't know how these Christians that y'all experience seemingly on a daily basis can function in society. They seem to be so out of touch with realiy that it's scary... and definitely not a representation of Christ or Christian behavior. Yes, we're to be set apart... but not in a way that frightens the crap out of a person because you're so weird.

Just tell me where to find these people... because... I can't. I would love to have a word with them.

Alabama.
[+] 4 users Like Ferdinand's post
10-09-2013, 03:08 PM
(10-09-2013 02:19 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Alabama.

Probably second only to Mississippi for fundie whackness.

All information in the above post is my own opinion and will not
necessarily be logically sound or conform to reality as we know it.

You have been warned. Tongue
10-09-2013, 03:11 PM
(10-09-2013 03:08 PM)darv Wrote:  
(10-09-2013 02:19 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Alabama.

Probably second only to Mississippi for fundie whackness.

Everyone here is awful, close-minded, and downright cruel to the non-religious, and even the out-of-the-norm.

I think laying my head down on a powered chainsaw would be more delightful than having to hear the things I do daily. There are even teachers that shove beliefs down the throats of their students.