I don't get the US voting system... Pls explain this to me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2016, 08:55 PM
RE: I don't get the US voting system... Pls explain this to me
(30-10-2016 08:31 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(30-10-2016 05:46 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Our system is a mess because it was designed two hundred years ago in a bygone era of sophistication, and everybody believes that they understand how it should work, and that it is a perfect system that is abused by the dubious minded people.

People are afraid of considering a new system, because they have never been introduced to the considerations of a different system. Those in control are obligated to defend the inadequate system.

What you may have witnessed in this past election cycle is probably the most egregious assault on the legitimacy of the system. Trump is obviously trying to get the people to recognize that the system is easily manipulated - I think he was double crossed by Clinton's promise of a political favor, and so, he is trying to tear it all down.
No it wasnt.. the system of current run was designed on the early 20th century on more components which is still as bad.

I get toy rail on Constituonal stuff being the marker and outdated but the majority of all voting system and election pathways aren't at all connected to those documents or their initial drives. The party's as entities and their systems or voting paths are all things that used to shift evey couple generations but for some reason there's such a idiotic beholding to staying within tradition of things on the post world war America that it's not shifting and remodeling on the new world climate like it typically had prior.

You're just a "dubious minded" person. Yes
(Whatever the hell that is).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2016, 11:16 PM
Quote:So after that, Bernie suddenly dropped out,

Bernie did not "drop out." Bernie stayed in it the whole way and got his ass kicked in the primaries. He did not quit. He lost. And then he did the right thing and united behind the winner so they could keep a piece of shit named Trump from getting his greedy little hands on the nuclear codes.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
31-10-2016, 05:42 AM
President of the Imperial Galactic Government

The President is very much a figurehead - he wields no real power whatsoever. He is apparently chosen by the government, but the qualities he is required to display are not those of leadership but those of finely judged outrage. For this reason the President is always a controversial choice, always an infuriating but fascinating character. His job is not to wield power but to draw attention away from it.

An orange sash is what the President of the Galaxy traditionally wears.

On those criteria Zaphod Beeblebrox is one of the most successful Presidents the Galaxy has ever had. He spent two of his ten Presidential years in prison for fraud. Very very few people realize that the President and the Government have virtually no power at all, and of these very few people only six know whence ultimate political power is wielded. Most of the others secretly believe that the ultimate decision-making process is handled by a computer. They couldn't be more wrong.

-- Douglas Adams

You could probably switch Zaphod Beeblebrox with Donald Trump and get the same results.
Although Donald doesn't have two heads - the hair is a close second.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
31-10-2016, 06:37 AM
First past three post voting forces voters to be strategic and kills third parties. The same applies within the primaries where candidates split the popular vote and a voting for your preferred candidate can effectively be a vote for your least preferred candidate. Without the protection of a preferential voting system democracy will result in these perverse outcomes.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
31-10-2016, 08:36 AM
(30-10-2016 11:16 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:So after that, Bernie suddenly dropped out,

Bernie did not "drop out." Bernie stayed in it the whole way and got his ass kicked in the primaries. He did not quit. He lost. And then he did the right thing and united behind the winner so they could keep a piece of shit named Trump from getting his greedy little hands on the nuclear codes.

He did not get his ass kicked in the primaries. Without super-delegates and other chicanery, Hilary lost to Bernie.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
31-10-2016, 09:20 AM
(30-10-2016 04:37 PM)unfogged Wrote:  There are 2 main political parties in the US plus a bunch of relatively minor parties. Each party puts up one person as candidate for president in the general election. [...]

Thanks for taking the time to clarify a few things. Smile

As an Aussie, I don't understand how the GOP—either its constitutional members, or its supporters—could arrive at making an offensive, loose cannon such as Trump their "best of the best" in the POTUS campaign.

I note the original 16 other candidates, and I find (without knoiwing their political competence or past performances) it difficult to believe that not one of these made the grade:

Bush
Carson
Christie
Cruz

Fiorina
Gilmore
Graham
Huckabee

Jindal
Kasich
Pataki
Paul

Perry
Rubio
Santorum
Walker

In particular, why did the GOP not support their sole female hopeful, Carly Fiorina—with an MBA in marketing from the University of Maryland, and an M.Sc from the MIT Sloan School of Management. Trump has only a single bachelor degree, cf. Fiorina's two masters, so is far less qualified academically.

Wiki tells me "In 2003, Fiorina was named by Fortune Magazine the most powerful woman in business, a position she held for five years. In 2004, she was included in the Time 100 ranking of "most influential people in the world today" and named tenth on the Forbes list of The World's 100 Most Powerful Women. In 2005, the Wall Street Journal described Fiorina as the epitome of "an alluring, controversial new breed of chief executive officers who combine grand visions with charismatic but self-centered and demanding styles."

Both her and Trump have held no public/political appointments, so they both start of as CEOs of private/unlisted companies, with Trump apparently (?) more unskilled, and propped up originally only by daddy's money—hardly a "self-made" man.

So... why was Trump chosen over the others, particularly Fiorina?

Huh

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
31-10-2016, 09:40 AM
(31-10-2016 09:20 AM)SYZ Wrote:  So... why was Trump chosen over the others, particularly Fiorina?

I don't pretend to understand it. The Republican party is an unholy mix of anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-welfare, anti-government, pro-Christian, pro-gun groups that don't seem to really share much except that they are each against something that the Democrats typically promote.

Most of my life I leaned strongly Republican until the pro-Christian groups really started gaining influence and drove the party away from secular values. I don't think I could vote for any Republican ever again unless the party splits.

That said, it looked to me like with more than a dozen candidates that were all minor variations on a theme the bulk of the party was split too many ways allowing the smaller faction that wanted somebody who was not part of the main political establishment to rally behind Trump. Each of the various sub-groups within the party had their preferred candidate and refused to go for anybody else until it was too late.

The sad part is that if the Democrats had gone for almost anybody else Trump would not be a contender but they picked the absolute worst, most divisive choice they could because the Democrats aren't much more organized that the Republicans.

I am beyond disgusted with both parties and the whole process at this point. All I know is that ANYTHING would be better than Trump/Pence. I'd take Bush back over that without hesitation.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 6 users Like unfogged's post
31-10-2016, 01:43 PM
(31-10-2016 08:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-10-2016 11:16 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Bernie did not "drop out." Bernie stayed in it the whole way and got his ass kicked in the primaries. He did not quit. He lost. And then he did the right thing and united behind the winner so they could keep a piece of shit named Trump from getting his greedy little hands on the nuclear codes.

He did not get his ass kicked in the primaries. Without super-delegates and other chicanery, Hilary lost to Bernie.

You're deluding yourself, Chas. In the states that actually had primaries Clinton beat Sanders by nearly 4 million votes. She won 34 to his 23 and many of his were caucus operations.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/...count.html

Face it. Sanders, who was and remains an "independent" got his ass kicked.

Now the country needs to hope that Hillary crushes the Orange Turd by a similar margin.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
31-10-2016, 03:22 PM
(31-10-2016 01:43 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(31-10-2016 08:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  He did not get his ass kicked in the primaries. Without super-delegates and other chicanery, Hilary lost to Bernie.

You're deluding yourself, Chas. In the states that actually had primaries Clinton beat Sanders by nearly 4 million votes. She won 34 to his 23 and many of his were caucus operations.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/...count.html

Face it. Sanders, who was and remains an "independent" got his ass kicked.

Now the country needs to hope that Hillary crushes the Orange Turd by a similar margin.

You have a different definition of ass-kicking than I do. Consider Nearly every state was a close race.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-10-2016, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2016 05:33 PM by TrainWreck.)
(31-10-2016 09:20 AM)SYZ Wrote:  So... why was Trump chosen over the others, particularly Fiorina?
Huh

Because Trump appeals to those who believe that someone who is not in politics is more apt to be able to bust-up the corrupt establishment. Carley Fiorina did not have the vocal corruption busting (bully) personality that Trump has.

It's amazing that atheists cannot explain this to you. It is because atheists have a fucked-up reasoning deficiency that makes them equal to Christians, Jews, and ragheads.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool