I don't get the US voting system... Pls explain this to me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2016, 05:44 PM
RE: I don't get the US voting system... Pls explain this to me
(31-10-2016 05:29 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(31-10-2016 09:20 AM)SYZ Wrote:  So... why was Trump chosen over the others, particularly Fiorina?
Huh

Because Trump appeals to those who believe that someone who is not in politics is more apt to be able to bust-up the corrupt establishment. Carley Fiorina did not have the vocal corruption busting (bully) personality that Trump has.

It's amazing that atheists cannot explain this to you. It is because atheists have a fucked-up reasoning deficiency that makes them equal to Christians, Jews, and ragheads.

[Image: uqgPmPaDx6aVa.gif]

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
31-10-2016, 06:04 PM
(31-10-2016 09:40 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I am beyond disgusted with both parties and the whole process at this point.

You're not at the point of maybe considering the possibility that the system needs to be completely reorganized??? I think black people and women can teach us racist white men a thing or two about how to organize a just government - don't you???

Nothing I would like better than to invite blacks and women to the re-establishment of the great United States that everyone hates - kind of like adolescent rebellion.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
31-10-2016, 06:06 PM
(31-10-2016 06:04 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  
(31-10-2016 09:40 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I am beyond disgusted with both parties and the whole process at this point.

You're not at the point of maybe considering the possibility that the system needs to be completely reorganized??? I think black people and women can teach us racist white men a thing or two about how to organize a just government - don't you???

Nothing I would like better than to invite blacks and women to the re-establishment of the great United States that everyone hates - kind of like adolescent rebellion.

Please do not include me in any "us" that you are a part of.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
31-10-2016, 06:14 PM
Quote:I note the original 16 other candidates, and I find (without knoiwing their political competence or past performances) it difficult to believe that not one of these made the grade:

Those 16 candidates were much of the problem. Turnout tends to be low in the primaries, so it's easy for a radical to steal a nomination, especially if he brings his own support base. Trump brought his own supporters and the other 16 candidates were just variations on each other. They split the vote against one another and Trump won many of the primaries fairly easily. By the time they'd narrowed the field down they had Trump vs. Ted Cruz (the most repellent candidate in the race after Trump) and Marco Rubio (the worst candidate other than Cruz or Trump). Cruz and Rubio continued to split what little vote they could encourage and Trump kept laughing. By the time they got their act together it was all over except for the crying.

If they'd run a single, competent candidate against him then they'd have had a chance. That's pretty much what happened with the Democrats. Bernie gave Hillary a run for her money. Imagine if she'd been competing against 15 other Democrats for her share of the vote. Bernie would have retained most of his core supporters and walked all over them.

Quote:In particular, why did the GOP not support their sole female hopeful, Carly Fiorina

Because much of the GOP views women through an imaginary 1950s stereotype that does not involve a woman with any serious power.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
31-10-2016, 06:29 PM
(31-10-2016 03:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-10-2016 01:43 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  You're deluding yourself, Chas. In the states that actually had primaries Clinton beat Sanders by nearly 4 million votes. She won 34 to his 23 and many of his were caucus operations.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/...count.html

Face it. Sanders, who was and remains an "independent" got his ass kicked.

Now the country needs to hope that Hillary crushes the Orange Turd by a similar margin.

You have a different definition of ass-kicking than I do. Consider Nearly every state was a close race.

Horseshoes and hand grenades.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
31-10-2016, 06:43 PM
Wow thanks everybody for taking the time.
Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I was verrrrry busy.

I do think though, that this idea with the electoral college (?) can be abused so easily. Politicians have been bought for a long time and seeing how politics are going (pretty much everywhere, not only US) I don't feel that politics is still for the people. So it would worry me as a citiizen if my vote doesn't actually count because I vote for an idea rather than who I want for president, and then someone else goes on my behalf and without my conxcent and maybe casts a vote that I don't agree with because it is not what I voted.
Sure you could end up with a very bad president, but then again, there have been bad presidents in the past and the country can then learn from it and vote better next time. We have seen this in relatively recent history.

Would be my main worry in that system to be honest.
All elections are usually rigged in a way. The most recent is the US but I have seen it in Germany and Romania as well, and those three countries are surely (!) not the only three. But it seems that US politicians aren't even pretending to be a democracy at this point. At least that is what it looks like to me.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)