I don't get this.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2016, 07:25 PM
RE: I don't get this.
(05-01-2016 07:00 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 05:11 PM)Dom Wrote:  It's been on the news. I'm kinda with Muffs, except for the holding open doors bit. Tongue

Some women like doors opened for them because it makes them feel good. It's not a hard thing to do, so if you want her to feel good you do it, and if you don't care you don't. And many women resent having doors opened for them. They see it as condescending. So the analogy doesn't fly.

I like the door being opened for me, why is it limited to just females?
The point is not necessarily the door, it refers to all that 'chivalry' shit. I'm not against doing things like for people, I think it's a nice gesture and all that stuff. But I have a problem with women expecting guys to do that sort of thing for them just because they're a women. Why shouldn't she do it for him just because he has a dick and not a lady tunnel? Equality means equality.

Quote:I personally always hold the door for the next person and gender or age is not part of the equation... courtesy is. Smile

As it should be.

Quote:People of color, women and gays have been oppressed for so long that even though the laws may state they are equal, until society see and treats them as equal, they are still culturally oppressed.

And "society" wont see and treat them as equal when they're isolating themselves with black only this or gay only this and than having a fucking cry when whites or straights do the same thing.

You don't reach equality by fighting inequality with inequality, all that does is create more inequality. And I don't just mean like white people resenting black people for having black only this or that. It's two sided. If you create say a black radio station and a white radio station starts up and as the black radio station you have a cry and scream "racism" you make the white people resent you creating inequality but you also make your black listeners start believing that it's not ok for white people to have their own radio station but it is for black people. So you create inequality on your side of the fence also. That goes for black/white, theist/atheist, women/man, gay/straight etc..

You either let anyone have anything or noone have anything. What I mean is, you either let anyone have their own dating site, black, white, theist, atheist etc.. or you let noone have their own and only allow generic dating sites for everyone.
Some things are better suited to one way or the other. ie: dating sites are better suited to let anyone have one, whereas government and public things (such as government positions or religious statues on public buildings (so if theists can't have their statues we should be allowed our toilet statue) should be completely neutral.

That's how you get equality, not by crying this "whites are so privileged so blacks should get special treatment" shit.

Yes, just as I stated. Smile

Quote:I agree. Personal preferences top all when selecting a mate. They have to or what's the point. If people are bitching it's because they got nothing better to do.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2016, 07:31 PM
They should call it Crackr and steal some of Grindr's hookup tech. "Looking for a quick hookup that God can't see? We got you."

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-01-2016, 08:33 PM
It really does seem that dating is one of the few remaining ways society accepts discrimination. "If someone chooses to only date within their race, that's their choice." I can't think of anyone, including me, who doesn't agree with this. Consider

So many cats, so few good recipes.
05-01-2016, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2016 08:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
(05-01-2016 08:33 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  It really does seem that dating is one of the few remaining ways society accepts discrimination. "If someone chooses to only date within their race, that's their choice." I can't think of anyone, including me, who doesn't agree with this. Consider

What is this "dating" business of which you speak? Is it like going into Home Depot and going through the nuts and bolts bins to find the right nut to fit your screw?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-01-2016, 08:46 PM
(05-01-2016 08:33 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  It really does seem that dating is one of the few remaining ways society accepts discrimination. "If someone chooses to only date within their race, that's their choice." I can't think of anyone, including me, who doesn't agree with this. Consider

Discrimination or preference?

I prefer dating atheists, so does that mean I'm discriminating against Xtians and Muslims and Hindu's? I don't think having a preference is the same as discrimination.

05-01-2016, 09:14 PM
(05-01-2016 07:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  They should call it Crackr and steal some of Grindr's hookup tech. "Looking for a quick hookup that God can't see? We got you."

I feel like that tag line should be for a tinfoil company.
"Looking to have an ungodly hookup you don't want the big man to see? We got you covered."
Tinfoil Inc: Foiling god's vision one lined roof at a time since 1874.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
05-01-2016, 10:23 PM
(05-01-2016 08:46 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  

Discrimination or preference?

I prefer dating atheists, so does that mean I'm discriminating against Xtians and Muslims and Hindu's? I don't think having a preference is the same as discrimination.

I certainly used the word "discrimination" to be provocative. In your example, what happens when the variable changes? Instead of the group, change the activity. Then what happens? If you change dating to bowling, I'd say you're discriminating in both cases (race and religion). You'd probably agree too. So why do we both (remember I'm challenging something we both feel the same about) give that one aspect a pass? Why is it preference when you date exclusively <insert race/gender/belief> but discrimination when you apply the same criteria to the people you invite to your book club?

05-01-2016, 11:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2016 11:43 PM by DLJ.)

Weeeeeelllll....

How to end racism with a generation?

A global decree that anyone who wants to breed has to do so with someone from a different ethnicity.

Job done.

Next?

(I have a solution for world peace, if you're interested)

Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
05-01-2016, 11:29 PM
(05-01-2016 10:23 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 08:46 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Discrimination or preference?

I certainly used the word "discrimination" to be provocative. In your example, what happens when the variable changes? Instead of the group, change the activity. Then what happens? If you change dating to bowling, I'd say you're discriminating in both cases (race and religion). You'd probably agree too. So why do we both (remember I'm challenging something we both feel the same about) give that one aspect a pass? Why is it preference when you date exclusively <insert race/gender/belief> but discrimination when you apply the same criteria to the people you invite to your book club?

Because you not asking me to spend my life with or fuck the book club. It's not a preference of company but of desire. Replace race/belief with fat/skinny. Is it discrimination or preference to desire a thin person over a fat person or vice versa? What about blondes over brunets or blue eyed over brown eyed? Humans are visual beings and desire for your mate is much more complex than simple friendship or acquaintance.

And putting gender in the equation is another level of complexity. There are people who have no preference and will date either gender but most have a strong preference for one or the other. Is that a discrimination? Nature or nurture?

06-01-2016, 12:29 AM
(05-01-2016 11:29 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 10:23 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I certainly used the word "discrimination" to be provocative. In your example, what happens when the variable changes? Instead of the group, change the activity. Then what happens? If you change dating to bowling, I'd say you're discriminating in both cases (race and religion). You'd probably agree too. So why do we both (remember I'm challenging something we both feel the same about) give that one aspect a pass? Why is it preference when you date exclusively <insert race/gender/belief> but discrimination when you apply the same criteria to the people you invite to your book club?

Because you not asking me to spend my life with or fuck the book club. It's not a preference of company but of desire. Replace race/belief with fat/skinny. Is it discrimination or preference to desire a thin person over a fat person or vice versa? What about blondes over brunets or blue eyed over brown eyed? Humans are visual beings and desire for your mate is much more complex than simple friendship or acquaintance.

And putting gender in the equation is another level of complexity. There are people who have no preference and will date either gender but most have a strong preference for one or the other. Is that a discrimination? Nature or nurture?

Now you're seeing what I'm getting at. You have certain criteria for which you interchange preference for prejudice. You even gave an example....fucking. So when you decide to fuck someone, you can chose or eliminate them based on race, belief, eye colour, weight, gender, and etc. I agree with you (well, gender maybe not, I'm one of those weirdos that likes innies and outies), and my question (for you AND me) is why do certain things, like sex or living with someone, get the "preference" title? What's special about those things? What is it about them that makes it preference and not discrimination?