I don't get this.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2016, 12:45 AM
RE: I don't get this.
(06-01-2016 12:29 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  ...
What's special about those things? What is it about them that makes it preference and not discrimination?

Answer: Ethics.

It's the same difference between a 'discrimination' against a certain flavour of ice cream and a 'preference' for or against slavery.

Triggering another <400 post Morality Thread ... and ... GO!

Angel

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
06-01-2016, 12:47 AM
(06-01-2016 12:29 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Now you're seeing what I'm getting at. You have certain criteria for which you interchange preference for prejudice. You even gave an example....fucking. So when you decide to fuck someone, you can chose or eliminate them based on race, belief, eye colour, weight, gender, and etc. I agree with you (well, gender maybe not, I'm one of those weirdos that likes innies and outies), and my question (for you AND me) is why do certain things, like sex or living with someone, get the "preference" title? What's special about those things? What is it about them that makes it preference and not discrimination?

If I could jump in here, I think when people are actively trying to discriminate, it's usually "against you", preferring a certain thing is closer to "for me". I don't want a redhead because I dislike blondes, I just like redheads. Proofreading that, that sounds like a really simple argument, and I think you're asking something deeper than that. However, the dynamics of relationships/sexuality and how humans choose mates (which I'm pretty sure studies on that exist that I'm far too lazy to find) adds a ton of layers to the blanket term "preference"... On the other hand, discrimination is rather simple.

Acceptance is a hell of a drug.
06-01-2016, 01:53 AM
(06-01-2016 12:47 AM)Noric Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 12:29 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Now you're seeing what I'm getting at. You have certain criteria for which you interchange preference for prejudice. You even gave an example....fucking. So when you decide to fuck someone, you can chose or eliminate them based on race, belief, eye colour, weight, gender, and etc. I agree with you (well, gender maybe not, I'm one of those weirdos that likes innies and outies), and my question (for you AND me) is why do certain things, like sex or living with someone, get the "preference" title? What's special about those things? What is it about them that makes it preference and not discrimination?

If I could jump in here, I think when people are actively trying to discriminate, it's usually "against you", preferring a certain thing is closer to "for me". I don't want a redhead because I dislike blondes, I just like redheads. Proofreading that, that sounds like a really simple argument, and I think you're asking something deeper than that. However, the dynamics of relationships/sexuality and how humans choose mates (which I'm pretty sure studies on that exist that I'm far too lazy to find) adds a ton of layers to the blanket term "preference"... On the other hand, discrimination is rather simple.

Ok, see now that's what I'm after. That distinction between 'against you/for me' is what I mean. That's one of probably thousands of nuances of course, but that's the crux of what I'm asking.

I think I'm struggling to make myself clear because I'm not that clear myself. I've never before considered that perhaps my preference for large breasted women or for rugged, soft spoken men is actually discrimination. But I feel like it's an idea worth exploring. Cool

So many cats, so few good recipes.
06-01-2016, 05:43 AM
(05-01-2016 07:25 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 05:34 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Black Academy Awards. BET (Black Entertainment Television). NAACP. Black Grammys.

Hmmmm...

And SOMEHOW -- only the KKK and Aryan Nation are "racist".......

Odd, huh???

Back in the day there was the White musicians union and the Black musicians union. One guess who held the most power and got the better paying gigs?

That was "back in the day".

I'm not responsible for it - are you??

Responsibility for and the injury caused by discrimination in the past is just that - past. Keep dredging it up, and it will never go away.

That's my point.

If you have a group for the "betterment" (NAACP for instance) of one race - or for the oppression of another (KKK) --- the outcome is the same ------

Division...

An "Us Vs Them" mentality.

You can claim you've got "the high moral ground" by being on the "betterment" side -- but you're still endorsing discrimination.

And - "some of my best friends are black" shit is about as fucking lame as it gets.

I've said it many times... We're all African Americans.... (at least in the USA).

Choosing ones (or another's) color is simply picking a point in time, and saying that that's the beginning of "your" (or their) race......

We all bleed red.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
06-01-2016, 06:06 AM
(05-01-2016 07:00 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 05:11 PM)Dom Wrote:  It's been on the news. I'm kinda with Muffs, except for the holding open doors bit. Tongue

Some women like doors opened for them because it makes them feel good. It's not a hard thing to do, so if you want her to feel good you do it, and if you don't care you don't. And many women resent having doors opened for them. They see it as condescending. So the analogy doesn't fly.

I like the door being opened for me, why is it limited to just females?
The point is not necessarily the door, it refers to all that 'chivalry' shit. I'm not against doing things like for people, I think it's a nice gesture and all that stuff. But I have a problem with women expecting guys to do that sort of thing for them just because they're a women. Why shouldn't she do it for him just because he has a dick and not a lady tunnel? Equality means equality.

Did I say anything about just females? It has nothing to do with male or female, it has to do with making another person feel good, or helping them when they have both hands full or whatever. It started when women were wearing extremely restrictive clothing and moving was troublesome. A courteous man would help her to avoid having to bend at the waist, and if such a thing was necessary (like getting out of a coach) they would assist by opening the door and lending a hand. It had a purpose back then.

Now it's just an old cultural thing - the male/female aspect that is.

The aspect of helping another hasn't changed. I always open doors for people with packages, or little kids, or older people who look frail, or anyone who seems flustered by the door.

You are dragging out a custom that is hundreds of years old and trying to apply it to the present to make a point. Fail.

The original custom has lost it's validity, but the concept still applies.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
06-01-2016, 07:19 AM
(05-01-2016 05:02 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/756131...ght-people

So a website in the states (of course it's in the states) is called "wherewhitepeoplemeet.com" is a dating site for white people. It has billboards and everything.

What I don't get is the issue with it. I'm with the owners on this, there's dating sites for many different groups based on religion, skin colour, ethnicity, sexuality etc..
You're black and want to meet other black people? There's dating sites out there for you. Christian and wanna meet other Christians? There's dating sites for you. Etc..

How is this any different??

The article says that it's different because the states has a history of white supremacy. And yea it does, a really bad one, but this is 2016. The key word is 'history'. And yes it still happens but how many black people hate white people? How many Christians hate Atheists? Atheists hate Christians?

Everyone speaks of equality but nobody wants it. Women want to be treated equally but than they turn around and expect you to hold the door open for them just because they're a women. Black people want to be treated equally but suddenly it's ok for them to have their own dating sites and not okay for whites to have their own in response. Equality means equality and it applies to everyone.

Always used to be that on a dating site one used codes such as looking for SJF being single Jewish female. But I have noticed that such disappeared a while back. But have noticed even more recently on people's profile specifically being even more direct: "No white guys need contact me" I saw recently.
06-01-2016, 07:22 AM
(06-01-2016 05:43 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 07:25 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Back in the day there was the White musicians union and the Black musicians union. One guess who held the most power and got the better paying gigs?

Responsibility for and the injury caused by discrimination in the past is just that - past. Keep dredging it up, and it will never go away.

That's my point.

If you have a group for the "betterment" (NAACP for instance) of one race - or for the oppression of another (KKK) --- the outcome is the same ------

Division...

You can claim you've got "the high moral ground" by being on the "betterment" side -- but you're still endorsing discrimination.

And - "some of my best friends are black" shit is about as fucking lame as it gets.

I've said it many times... We're all African Americans.... (at least in the USA).

Choosing ones (or another's) color is simply picking a point in time, and saying that that's the beginning of "your" (or their) race......

We all bleed red.

I am white living with an African featured lady here in the Dominican Republic, and her brother told me he prefers white women. I assured him they are all pink on the inside!
06-01-2016, 07:44 AM
(06-01-2016 05:43 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 07:25 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Back in the day there was the White musicians union and the Black musicians union. One guess who held the most power and got the better paying gigs?

That's my point.

Division...

We all bleed red.

Back in the day was not long ago. And nothing has really changed.

I was not disagreeing with you. Just pointing something out.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
06-01-2016, 07:51 AM
(05-01-2016 07:00 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(05-01-2016 05:11 PM)Dom Wrote:  It's been on the news. I'm kinda with Muffs, except for the holding open doors bit. Tongue

Some women like doors opened for them because it makes them feel good. It's not a hard thing to do, so if you want her to feel good you do it, and if you don't care you don't. And many women resent having doors opened for them. They see it as condescending. So the analogy doesn't fly.

I like the door being opened for me, why is it limited to just females?
The point is not necessarily the door, it refers to all that 'chivalry' shit. I'm not against doing things like for people, I think it's a nice gesture and all that stuff. But I have a problem with women expecting guys to do that sort of thing for them just because they're a women. Why shouldn't she do it for him just because he has a dick and not a lady tunnel? Equality means equality.

Quote:I personally always hold the door for the next person and gender or age is not part of the equation... courtesy is. Smile

As it should be.

Quote:People of color, women and gays have been oppressed for so long that even though the laws may state they are equal, until society see and treats them as equal, they are still culturally oppressed.

And "society" wont see and treat them as equal when they're isolating themselves with black only this or gay only this and than having a fucking cry when whites or straights do the same thing.

You don't reach equality by fighting inequality with inequality, all that does is create more inequality. And I don't just mean like white people resenting black people for having black only this or that. It's two sided. If you create say a black radio station and a white radio station starts up and as the black radio station you have a cry and scream "racism" you make the white people resent you creating inequality but you also make your black listeners start believing that it's not ok for white people to have their own radio station but it is for black people. So you create inequality on your side of the fence also. That goes for black/white, theist/atheist, women/man, gay/straight etc..

You either let anyone have anything or noone have anything. What I mean is, you either let anyone have their own dating site, black, white, theist, atheist etc.. or you let noone have their own and only allow generic dating sites for everyone.
Some things are better suited to one way or the other. ie: dating sites are better suited to let anyone have one, whereas government and public things (such as government positions or religious statues on public buildings (so if theists can't have their statues we should be allowed our toilet statue) should be completely neutral.

That's how you get equality, not by crying this "whites are so privileged so blacks should get special treatment" shit.

40 years ago I worked for a company pumping out septic tanks. On the competitions truck one fine day sprouted signs that said "All Black Owned and Operated." SO my boss put "All White Owned and Operated." on our trucks, and the black guy sued our boss. Somehow the judge decided that the one was as bad as the other and he ordered the black guy to hire a white person within the next 30 days and also my boss was required to hire a black guy! When the cmpetitor advertised I applied and was hired and that is how I came to work for a company and was "The token white man!"
[+] 3 users Like DerFish's post
06-01-2016, 08:20 AM
I would think that saying this dating site is stupid would be if they said there was no point because 77% of the population here is white.

This whole oppression argument, is getting old, especially when it has changed.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post