I don't get this.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2016, 04:21 PM
RE: I don't get this.
(06-01-2016 04:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Something that would be interesting to do a study on would be the relationship (lolpun) between attraction and racist attitudes. ie: Are people not attracted to black people more likely to be racist towards black people.
And than, are they not attracted to black people because they're racist or racist because they're not attracted.

I bet you'd also find a significant number who were attracted to other races BECAUSE they're racist...it's naughty!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
06-01-2016, 05:19 PM
#whiteguilt

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
06-01-2016, 06:53 PM
(06-01-2016 04:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 06:06 AM)Dom Wrote:  Did I say anything about just females? It has nothing to do with male or female, it has to do with making another person feel good, or helping them when they have both hands full or whatever. It started when women were wearing extremely restrictive clothing and moving was troublesome. A courteous man would help her to avoid having to bend at the waist, and if such a thing was necessary (like getting out of a coach) they would assist by opening the door and lending a hand. It had a purpose back then.

Now it's just an old cultural thing - the male/female aspect that is.

The aspect of helping another hasn't changed. I always open doors for people with packages, or little kids, or older people who look frail, or anyone who seems flustered by the door.

You are dragging out a custom that is hundreds of years old and trying to apply it to the present to make a point. Fail.

The original custom has lost it's validity, but the concept still applies.

That's interesting actually, I never thought about it as a "purpose" back in the day but that makes sense.

My post wasn't directed at you personally by the way, I just mean people in general that hold the view that men should do those things for women simply because they are women. It's mostly held by women but there are a lot of men that hold that view too. Whereas my view is the same as yours that you should do it regardless of gender because it's courteous.

Quote:40 years ago I worked for a company pumping out septic tanks. On the competitions truck one fine day sprouted signs that said "All Black Owned and Operated." SO my boss put "All White Owned and Operated." on our trucks, and the black guy sued our boss. Somehow the judge decided that the one was as bad as the other and he ordered the black guy to hire a white person within the next 30 days and also my boss was required to hire a black guy! When the cmpetitor advertised I applied and was hired and that is how I came to work for a company and was "The token white man!"

Lol

Quote:I think the problem with any group or organization so blazingly catering to "whites", is that they can't rid themselves of the stench of white supremacy, it comes as a means of white people to separate themselves as better, purer, etc than other races. None of this need to be true of course, but perception is plagued by the history here. The site seems more like a marketing ploy, because I fail to see what sort of potential match you'd expect to find on a site like this, as opposed to Match, or eHarmony, in which most participants are white already. So it's becomes easy to see it as a way for white racist to find other white racist.

So there's BET, Indian Matrimonial sites, etc.. but they lack the same association or similar history, which they all may be in celebration or the exclusivity of a particular culture, it tends not to be about the superiority of one race over the other. BET being less like the White Powers groups, and more like CMT.

But is it their fault that people have that perception of their site?
Is that bowing out to "reverse" racism if they were to shut down because of it?

Quote:I certainly used the word "discrimination" to be provocative. In your example, what happens when the variable changes? Instead of the group, change the activity. Then what happens? If you change dating to bowling, I'd say you're discriminating in both cases (race and religion). You'd probably agree too. So why do we both (remember I'm challenging something we both feel the same about) give that one aspect a pass? Why is it preference when you date exclusively <insert race/gender/belief> but discrimination when you apply the same criteria to the people you invite to your book club?

I get what you're saying. Why is favoring one person over another, ie: black or white. when it comes to dating not considered racist but if you wanna bowl with whites only that's racist.

I think the answer is simply that 'we can't help who we're attracted too'. And so it's accepted for people to be discriminating as hell when it comes to dating but not things that we have an actual choice over such as bowling buddies.

Something that would be racist maybe is as a white person only dating white people because you hate black people, even though you still find black people attractive.

Something that would be interesting to do a study on would be the relationship (lolpun) between attraction and racist attitudes. ie: Are people not attracted to black people more likely to be racist towards black people.
And than, are they not attracted to black people because they're racist or racist because they're not attracted.

Is it racist if you use a white ball against black pins?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
06-01-2016, 06:56 PM
(06-01-2016 06:53 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(06-01-2016 04:19 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  That's interesting actually, I never thought about it as a "purpose" back in the day but that makes sense.

My post wasn't directed at you personally by the way, I just mean people in general that hold the view that men should do those things for women simply because they are women. It's mostly held by women but there are a lot of men that hold that view too. Whereas my view is the same as yours that you should do it regardless of gender because it's courteous.

Lol

But is it their fault that people have that perception of their site?
Is that bowing out to "reverse" racism if they were to shut down because of it?

I get what you're saying. Why is favoring one person over another, ie: black or white. when it comes to dating not considered racist but if you wanna bowl with whites only that's racist.

I think the answer is simply that 'we can't help who we're attracted too'. And so it's accepted for people to be discriminating as hell when it comes to dating but not things that we have an actual choice over such as bowling buddies.

Something that would be racist maybe is as a white person only dating white people because you hate black people, even though you still find black people attractive.

Something that would be interesting to do a study on would be the relationship (lolpun) between attraction and racist attitudes. ie: Are people not attracted to black people more likely to be racist towards black people.

Is it racist if you use a white ball against black pins?

Some would call it a microaggresionBig Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post