I don't give a fuck why you believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2017, 12:39 AM
RE: I don't give a fuck why you believe
(10-10-2017 04:00 PM)Miscellaniac Wrote:  If their reason for believing doesn't harm you, or anyone else, why allow their reasons to believe piss you off? Why not just listen, nod and say "That's nice" and change the subject?

Their reason for believing is irrelevant but actions caused by said belief often can piss one off - i.e. religious opposition to abortion, same sex marriages and euthanasia.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
11-10-2017, 01:04 AM
The problem with irrational beliefs is that they can often infect other modes of thinking. The faulty structures holding up the bad ideas must be treated as workable, so this means that any similar issues might be handled with the same dodgy framework. Of course, some people are able to compartmentalise very well, and aren't aware that they are using an entirely different framework for everything except this one special idea (or group of ideas). But I find it hard to believe it can have no effect whatsoever.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
11-10-2017, 03:17 AM
(09-10-2017 02:00 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Fuck Christianity.

Thank you.

Was there really any need to resurrect this thread of yours after 6 months—particularly with such an inconsequential comment? Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
11-10-2017, 04:23 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2017 05:43 AM by adey67.)
(09-04-2017 03:44 PM)Shirina Wrote:  Well, okay then ... I'll lamely re-enter it.

And say that I have to agree about AA. I hate the fact that they tacitly ascribe far too much credit for member's recovery to some imaginary "higher power." Yeah, they say it can be any kind of higher power (deity) you want it to be, but c'mon. If you live in America, who is fooled by that. We all know they're obliquely referring to the Christian God of the Bible.

I mean, for shit's sake, can't there be anything in this country not tainted by primitive deity worship? Cub/Boy Scouts, AA, 90% of the charities, the entire right-wing propaganda apparatus ... religion has way too much influence.

I used to attend Alateen since my father was a raving drunk -- and I had to go, it wasn't a choice. I wasn't an atheist then, per se, but I was moving in that direction. I was already acquiring a healthy disdain for religious authoritarianism which was prevalent in the town where I lived.

I honestly don't remember much from the meetings -- I used it to meet cute guys, flirt, goof off around the huge Catholic church it was held in, and suchlike. But I do remember the sometimes subtle, sometimes not-so-subtle nudges and pushes to believe in a deity because, uh huh, without a deity to pull you up, you can't do shit yourself. You'll fail if you don't grab that God-crutch and wrap yourself in that security religioblanket because therein is where you'll find your strength.

Bullshit. I found all the strength I needed within the borders of my own body, my own will, my own desire, my own tenacity, my own persistence, and my own refusal to accept even the mildest defeat. Where was God? Oh, I don't know. Probably off helping some moron reverend find his car keys or helping some meaningless Iowan small town football team to score a touchdown. He certainly wasn't anywhere in my life -- ever.

Of course, we know why that was.

And zebras are cool and all, but this thread wouldn't be worth the bandwidth without a duckbilled platypus.

[Image: Duckbilled_platypus.jpg]

Quite right the recidivism rate in AA is epic, there was a great article about it by some Australian researchers but sadly I have lost the link. Also if you read the big book of AA while it says it doesn't demand you believe in a god and its steps are but suggestions it goes on to contradict itself massively, mmm kinda reminds me of another certain book Wink
However it does help some people and while I have issues with it I don't decry it or want to rubbish it for those who do find it helpful.
11-10-2017, 05:45 AM
(11-10-2017 03:17 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 02:00 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Fuck Christianity.

Thank you.

Was there really any need to resurrect this thread of yours after 6 months—particularly with such an inconsequential comment? Dodgy

Yes. People were engaging some dipshit Christian for some 40 pages of extremely stupid discussion so I thought I'd offer up my sane alternative. No discussion just ridicule.
11-10-2017, 12:55 PM
(11-10-2017 12:39 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Their reason for believing is irrelevant but actions caused by said belief often can piss one off - i.e. religious opposition to abortion, same sex marriages and euthanasia.

Oh I agree Actions are everything...my husband says "Your religious rights end at the tip of my nose", basically believe whatever the hell you want...just don't let it affect my right to live the life I want to live.

I would say there's one reason for believing not tied to actions that should piss any rational person off, and that's the belief in an afterlife punishment.

Like if someone said "I just believe because I'm going to go to hell if I don't", that should rightfully piss anyone off just because it means that individual has been psychologically traumatized to believe in eternal torment.

If you weep at the loss of the sun, then your tears will prevent you from seeing the stars.
[+] 1 user Likes Miscellaniac's post
11-10-2017, 01:39 PM
(11-10-2017 12:55 PM)Miscellaniac Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 12:39 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Their reason for believing is irrelevant but actions caused by said belief often can piss one off - i.e. religious opposition to abortion, same sex marriages and euthanasia.

Oh I agree Actions are everything...my husband says "Your religious rights end at the tip of my nose", basically believe whatever the hell you want...just don't let it affect my right to live the life I want to live.

World would be beautiful place if religious nuts would keep their ancient superstitions to themselves.

Quote:I would say there's one reason for believing not tied to actions that should piss any rational person off, and that's the belief in an afterlife punishment.

Like if someone said "I just believe because I'm going to go to hell if I don't", that should rightfully piss anyone off just because it means that individual has been psychologically traumatized to believe in eternal torment.

Idea of hell is horrible, just like childhood indoctrination but most of the time I too much pissed at actions of believers too pity them or to be angry at ideas they were brainwashed to believe in.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
13-10-2017, 02:44 AM
religion is a mental illness
13-10-2017, 03:25 AM
(13-10-2017 02:44 AM)MuntyJay Wrote:  religion is a mental illness

I'm not sure I agree with this, certainly as a blanket statement anyway. Shai and Aliza are certainly pretty well adjusted and they're theists, I think they're wrong but then very clever people are usually brilliant at compartmentalization. Some fundamentalists and charismatic evangelicals could be described as in the grip of a group psychosis though.
13-10-2017, 04:58 AM
(13-10-2017 02:44 AM)MuntyJay Wrote:  religion is a mental illness

Nah, just delusional thinking. Being a footy fan, now that's an illness. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post