I don't give a fuck why you believe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2017, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2017 08:08 AM by Thoreauvian.)
RE: I don't give a fuck why you believe
(13-10-2017 07:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-10-2017 06:16 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Relgions are social structures. Looking at them from a naturalistic point of view, they show how little factual accuracy is really required for successful social groupings. Myth and social conditioning are enough.

The myth and social conditioning are the cause of the delusional thinking. They are not right in the head.

They are behaving like primitive people do worldwide. Calling it delusional is inaccurate in a clinical sense, and is even questionable in a more general sense because not all religious people have strong convictions.

"A delusion is a belief that is held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary. As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, confabulation, dogma, illusion, or other effects of perception. Delusions typically occur in the context of neurological or psychiatric disease, although they are not tied to any particular disorder and have been found to occur in the context of many pathological states (both physical and mental). However, they are of particular diagnostic importance in psychotic disorders including schizophrenia, paraphrenia, manic episodes of bipolar disorder, and psychotic depression."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusion

I think religious people are wrong. They are largely misled, with only some being delusional or liars. I think calling them all delusional is therefore inaccurate.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
13-10-2017, 08:06 AM
(13-10-2017 07:38 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(13-10-2017 06:22 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Or maybe cause atheists shows them that not everyone needs sky daddy? Or because they're taught too?

Long story short - I won't stop calling religion on it's idiocy because of sheep feelings.

I wonder how many religious people take their religions as seriously as atheists do. I would guess most people are involved for the social benefits.
I don't care how serious they take their own nonsensical myths. What concerns me is religious opposition to same sex marriage, sex education or abortion.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
13-10-2017, 08:08 AM
It's boring.
Both sides.
It's a giant buzz kill.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
13-10-2017, 08:39 AM
(13-10-2017 07:52 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(13-10-2017 07:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  The myth and social conditioning are the cause of the delusional thinking. They are not right in the head.

They are behaving like primitive people do worldwide. Calling it delusional is inaccurate in a clinical sense, and is even questionable in a more general sense because not all religious people have strong convictions.

"A delusion is a belief that is held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary. As a pathology, it is distinct from a belief based on false or incomplete information, confabulation, dogma, illusion, or other effects of perception. Delusions typically occur in the context of neurological or psychiatric disease, although they are not tied to any particular disorder and have been found to occur in the context of many pathological states (both physical and mental). However, they are of particular diagnostic importance in psychotic disorders including schizophrenia, paraphrenia, manic episodes of bipolar disorder, and psychotic depression."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusion

I think religious people are wrong. They are largely misled, with only some being delusional or liars. I think calling them all delusional is therefore inaccurate.

What part of "A delusion is a belief that is held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary." is not applicable? Consider

We're talking about believers, not those who just go through the motions.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-10-2017, 10:39 AM
(13-10-2017 06:15 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
(13-10-2017 06:00 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Yet many do find their way out I did many here have including the founder of TTA himself.

Well if they were old enough to not believe in Santa Claus they shouldn't have found their way in.

That's harsh if I didn't know better I'd say you were trolling, I'm always a little dubious of people who see the world in only black and white when in fact there are many shades of grey. Most people have at some point had a period where they are perhaps more vulnerable that could be an illness or a bereavement financial problems unemployment the end of a relationship depression the permutations are broad and encompassing all of those things can lead to a person taking comfort in religion and the religious taking advantage of this to push their brand of woo based salvation the ability to become indoctrinated doesn't come with an age limit.
13-10-2017, 10:43 AM
If people are sad enough will they believe that Santa is going to bring them a shiny new bicycle?
13-10-2017, 10:48 AM
(13-10-2017 06:12 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
(13-10-2017 05:43 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  People hate atheists for over-stating their case against religion.

2) Haters gonna hate. I don't care.

So true. So, so, so true.
13-10-2017, 10:49 AM
False equivalence Fred.
13-10-2017, 11:03 AM
(13-10-2017 10:49 AM)adey67 Wrote:  False equivalence Fred.

They're both obvious bullshit.
14-10-2017, 05:22 AM
(13-10-2017 08:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  What part of "A delusion is a belief that is held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary." is not applicable? Consider

We're talking about believers, not those who just go through the motions.

The word "strong." Many believers will say "I believe" rather than "It can only be the way I see it."