16-02-2014, 05:21 PM
RE: I don't hate theists anymore

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
16-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Today I pooped. It was awesome. I'm glad I could give this thread some fibrous substance.

But seriously man... if you're going to make a thread, FFS, at least post some content. There's no conversation here. There's literally a "Cool story bro" moment. "Guys I went to the store today and bought water." What? Seriously? Sweet! Changed my life.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
16-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Well I watched video of Neil Tyson talking about that some scientists who can't be atheists maybe because there is something in their brains which prevents them from doing so and they just can't help it. And I was like oh well maybe they actually can't help it. And I stopped hating them. I feel compassion for them now.
16-02-2014, 06:20 PM
(16-02-2014 05:28 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Well I watched video of Neil Tyson talking about that some scientists who can't be atheists maybe because there is something in their brains which prevents them from doing so and they just can't help it. And I was like oh well maybe they actually can't help it. And I stopped hating them. I feel compassion for them now.

So, would that mean religion is sometimes literally a mental disorder?

The idea just makes them more creepy to me.
16-02-2014, 06:30 PM
(16-02-2014 06:20 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(16-02-2014 05:28 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Well I watched video of Neil Tyson talking about that some scientists who can't be atheists maybe because there is something in their brains which prevents them from doing so and they just can't help it. And I was like oh well maybe they actually can't help it. And I stopped hating them. I feel compassion for them now.

I mean that some people are genetically more predisposed to drugs, some people more predisposed to alcohol. That's why some people can stop drinking while others can't. Some people are not afraid of hell while others have nightmares all the time which they can't get rid of cause they are more genetically predisposed to fear and threats. So I see that some people are more predisposed to religion and therefore can't get rid of it no matter what they do.
Like this guy who can't get rid of fear of hell for some reason.
http://articles.exchristian.net/2006/06/...ancer.html

William lane craig for instance said that he would be a christian no matter where evidence points to because of "inner witness of a holy spirit" or whatever he calls it. The source of the experience he had can vary but the experience itself which he felt was real. And because of it he can't drop this belief. So can't really blame em if they are wired this way. Besides if there is no free will like described in Sam Harris book then they have no choice but to believe.
16-02-2014, 07:07 PM
(16-02-2014 06:20 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  

As much proof as anyone needs... And they wonder why we laugh.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-02-2014, 09:03 PM

Interesting.

My approach was from the other side.

I know of some racist, sexist, abusive, or downright genocidal atheists. It was stupid to act if it was unique to one "group". So the "atheist" and "theist" labels don't carry such a powerful distinction as they once did.

I do cringe at theists though, but there's no hate in it.
16-02-2014, 09:17 PM
Why would you ever hate them in the first place, you must not have been a theist in the first place.
If you were, its like your an escaped slave, and the theists are still slaves in captivity needing our help.
I do hate the self appointed leader slaves who know of the falsehoods yet take advantage of their sheep.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
16-02-2014, 09:26 PM
(16-02-2014 06:30 PM)donotwant Wrote:  William lane craig for instance said that he would be a christian no matter where evidence points to because of "inner witness of a holy spirit" or whatever he calls it. The source of the experience he had can vary but the experience itself which he felt was real. And because of it he can't drop this belief.

That isn't a matter of being "wired". It's a matter of being a charlatan and a snake oil salesman and a willfully, belligerently ignorant twat.

Can you give a link to the NDT vid you are talking about?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop