"I don't know"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2016, 11:14 AM
"I don't know"
So since the new school year started I've been... busy. It's my last year and in addition to looking for jobs (apparently engineers look for jobs starting in September) I also have to take a number of grad electives. I'm tired. On the plus side it means I'm on campus a lot and so I get the fun time of talking to a few theists and preachers who show up.

Well I talked to one group of theists regularly. They are sweet people and I like them. I disagree with them, but they are genuinely good people. Well one day they had with them a student from one of the campus ministries. He and I started talking.

We went over the cosmological argument, which I said wasn't compelling due to several problems he could not counter. He went over the fine tuning argument, which I said wasn't compelling and seemed like a huge argument from ignorance.

What seemed to stun him was when he asked "well if god didn't do it, how can you explain it?" My answer was "I don't know." He was visibly stunned. He took a few seconds to move on, but I could tell this was new to him.

Interestingly enough this gathered a group of about 20 student onlookers, many of whom stayed after he had to go to class asked me questions. What did I think of the idea of this universe being a simulation? Did I think that naturalism was all there is? Though they didn't like when I said "I don't know" I want to think I helped.

I know on another occasion it did with one of the hate pastors. So this is an interesting new tactic: being honest.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like natachan's post
08-10-2016, 11:29 AM
RE: "I don't know"
I used to work for a guy who told me there were three possible answers to questions he asked me...yes, no, and I don't know.

There seems to be a lot of areas where that should work. 'I don't know' is better than making stuff up.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
08-10-2016, 11:55 AM
The best rebuilt I've hear to explain this to some one was.

We have a jar of marbles. We can agree they're ether an odd or even amount. You may say there is an odd number. but I say "I don't know." It's the honest answer. I can't make a finalized judgement on whether or not there is not an odd or even amount. Yes it 50/50 and you could be right, for all I know. But until we can count the marbles we can't know for sure. And Just because I don't think there are odd number doesn't mean I think there is an even number.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post
08-10-2016, 05:09 PM
(08-10-2016 11:55 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  The best rebuilt I've hear to explain this to some one was.

We have a jar of marbles. We can agree they're ether an odd or even amount. You may say there is an odd number. but I say "I don't know." It's the honest answer. I can't make a finalized judgement on whether or not there is not an odd or even amount. Yes it 50/50 and you could be right, for all I know. But until we can count the marbles we can't know for sure. And Just because I don't think there are odd number doesn't mean I think there is an even number.

Also, we can be pretty darn sure the count is more than 3, less than 3 trillion, and not a complex number. Just because we don't know what it is, doesn't stop us from knowing a few things it isn't.
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
18-10-2016, 02:21 PM
I have never understood why people are so afraid to say "I don't know" or the other one, "I made a mistake". We're human, we don't know everything and we all make mistakes. We'd have to be perfect otherwise and we'd each be a god. And we all know none of us are that.

Yup, honesty is best.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
18-10-2016, 02:23 PM
(18-10-2016 02:21 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I have never understood why people are so afraid to say "I don't know" or the other one, "I made a mistake". Yup, honesty is best.

Because they're not as good as "beats the shit outta me" and "oops".

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-10-2016, 02:31 PM
(18-10-2016 02:21 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I have never understood why people are so afraid to say "I don't know" or the other one, "I made a mistake". We're human, we don't know everything and we all make mistakes. We'd have to be perfect otherwise and we'd each be a god. And we all know none of us are that.

Yup, honesty is best.
Yes, strangely I often feel relaxed after genuinely admitting that I don't know something.

Back when had more contact with kids it often led to a suggestion that we both investigate.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
18-10-2016, 02:38 PM
(18-10-2016 02:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-10-2016 02:21 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I have never understood why people are so afraid to say "I don't know" or the other one, "I made a mistake". Yup, honesty is best.

Because they're not as good as "beats the shit outta me" and "oops".
Oops, you're right. Tongue

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
21-10-2016, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2016 10:46 AM by theBorg.)
(08-10-2016 11:14 AM)natachan Wrote:  .... He was visibly stunned. He took a few seconds to move on, but I could tell this was new to him. ......

I hope, what he will learn all the needed about the atheism. If he loves the Truth, he will find the knowledge. I hope, he will stay the theist forever.
21-10-2016, 04:13 PM
(21-10-2016 10:29 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(08-10-2016 11:14 AM)natachan Wrote:  .... He was visibly stunned. He took a few seconds to move on, but I could tell this was new to him. ......

I hope, what he will learn all the needed about the atheism. If he loves the Truth, he will find the knowledge. I hope, he will stay the theist forever.

That's not the way it works. With effort we can find evidence and thus knowlegde.
Loving the truth is insufficient.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user