I don't know what to do...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2016, 03:22 PM
RE: I don't know what to do...
You could point out any "good works" you do:
For example: my teenage son got my devout parents to give him a "get-out-of-going-to-church-free card" because he was hired to take care of some very physically and mentally handicapped individuals on Sundays so that their mother could take a break (albeit he was paid, but it wasn't pleasant or easy work). These "good works" easily made up for his lack of attendance or belief, in their eyes.
You could also create and show them your "statement of values"; state what your morals and beliefs are, and how you intend to live by them. This should assuage their fears that you now "have no morals" because you're an atheist.
By combining the two, they will realize that you're (still) a good person; that should help reassure them. No parent should expect more than that from their offspring.
If they keep bothering you after that, well the ball's in their court: they will have to deal with their own cognitive dissonance.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.”
― Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
27-06-2016, 03:54 PM
(26-06-2016 06:25 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Usually, this stuff doesn't bother me, but it hurts when I realize that I'm hurting my parents.

You aren't hurting your parents. They're hurting themselves. The fact that their religion cannot cope with who you are is not your fault. Keep repeating the bit in bold.

You're a good person with a lot of empathy so that means that you're going to feel their pain but it is very important to remind yourself that it's religion that's to blame for it. Not you. You can no more be what they want you to be than you can sprout wings and fly. You could read the Bible until scripture started dribbling out your ears and all it would do is reinforce your contempt for it.

As for the anxiety, find something to take your mind off of it. I reccommend something humorous and very sacrilegious.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 6 users Like Paleophyte's post
27-06-2016, 04:00 PM
[Image: fd0d1d4480868c065d69c867fef9758d.jpg]

Hang in there. Just two more months until college starts.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
27-06-2016, 06:29 PM
What Paleophyte said, you're not hurting your parents. Your parents are the delusional ones. Tongue

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
27-06-2016, 06:36 PM
(26-06-2016 06:25 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  My mum is really worried because I'm not really passionate about the whole god thing anymore. I can understand if they're worried, but I really need something to help me relax. My parents were bringing up how prophecy on the bible is being fulfilled or whatever. They also talked about how God has helped them or whatever. I dunno. Usually, this stuff doesn't bother me, but it hurts when I realize that I'm hurting my parents. My mum told me to pray and read my bible every day. She also said that God will do great things through me or whatever. My mum really wants me to be a good Christian. What should I do to keep myself calm? Is there anything else I should do?

Fuck them.

What should you do? Be the best you, you can be. Everyone else can take a flying jump.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
01-07-2016, 03:53 AM
In my elder years I have realized that there are few things in life that are really important. Family is one of those things, no matter how many times I would disappoint my folks they still loved me. Always my biggest supporters, even when I did some very stupid things. It might take some time, but honesty is always best. Any parent would be proud of the articulate and kind person you are. Isn't that what matters?

I wish more people cared about the earth as much as they care about who they believe created it
[+] 1 user Likes Kiatlyn0611's post
01-07-2016, 04:51 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2016 04:56 AM by LadyDay.)
You could put the bible on your night stand. Then when your mother sees it she'll assume you're reading it before bedtime (All mothers look into their childs room I think. They worry).
Otherwise I'd also take the "smile and wave route". Nod, say yes and make "mhmm" sounds when they're preaching.
A few more months and you'll be out of the house. Smile

Hug

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
01-07-2016, 05:21 AM
(26-06-2016 06:25 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  My mum is really worried because I'm not really passionate about the whole god thing anymore. I can understand if they're worried, but I really need something to help me relax. My parents were bringing up how prophecy on the bible is being fulfilled or whatever. They also talked about how God has helped them or whatever. I dunno. Usually, this stuff doesn't bother me, but it hurts when I realize that I'm hurting my parents. My mum told me to pray and read my bible every day. She also said that God will do great things through me or whatever. My mum really wants me to be a good Christian. What should I do to keep myself calm? Is there anything else I should do?

There are several books, I cannot remember the name of any one right now, that go over the several hundred times people have written and tried to prove that the end times have arrived and yet a year later Jesus hadn't rappelled down the clouds to kill 1/3 of human kind as the prediction had stated. Find one of these books and offer to sit down with Mom and study it. "Studying this type of thing is what you wanted to do, right Mom?"
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post