I don't know why I even try.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2012, 01:10 PM
I don't know why I even try.
I'm about this close to giving up and saying fuck it all. My new career attempt is turning out to be complete failure. I can't seem to get a single job offer for anything but sales or marketing. On top of that my wife has a job now that needs her from 6am to 6pm. Which means I have to be off work by 5 to pick up my daughter from day care and my wife from work. So going back to selling cars is out. Another problem is that I just borrowed 1500 bucks from my mom to keep me from losing my apartment and car while I continue to fail as an insurance agent. Anything less than 3 grand a month and I'll wind up losing my apartment anyway in January.

Should I just pull my daughter out of day care and start selling weed?

FML! Should have stayed on the government teet in the Navy.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 01:14 PM
RE: I don't know why I even try.
What field are you trying to break into? Where do you live? What kind of unemployment rate, etc is there where you are?
10-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Man, that really sucks. Finding a good job with the economy the way it is (almost anywhere in the West) can be near impossible and damn frustrating. I have friends who haven't managed to get a job ever since graduating.

I've been through such a period and it was one of the lowest in my life (and I didn't have a family to take care of).

I take it you don't want to go into sales or marketing?

On a more positive note, sometimes it just takes a bit longer for the right opportunity to come along. But the waiting is horrible, I know.

Hope somethings shows up.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
10-12-2012, 01:19 PM
(10-12-2012 01:14 PM)pianodwarf Wrote:  What field are you trying to break into? Where do you live? What kind of unemployment rate, etc is there where you are?
I don't really have a preference. I keep an eye out for just about anything. I guess I do prefer slacks and a tie. I live in Baton Rouge. Unemployment here is lower than the national average but it's hard to find anything but retail jobs for 7 or 8 dollars an hour. I could install floors for 12/hour with room to grow but I'd never be of in time to get my daughter from day care.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
10-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Ain't much money to be made selling weed my friend.

Not that I'd know.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
10-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Are you cold calling on the door or over the phone?
What sort of insurance is it?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
10-12-2012, 01:23 PM
(10-12-2012 01:17 PM)Vera Wrote:  Man, that really sucks. Finding a good job with the economy the way it is (almost anywhere in the West) can be near impossible and damn frustrating. I have friends who haven't managed to get a job ever since graduating.

I've been through such a period and it was one of the lowest in my life (and I didn't have a family to take care of).

I take it you don't want to go into sales or marketing?

On a more positive note, sometimes it just takes a bit longer for the right opportunity to come along. But the waiting is horrible, I know.

Hope somethings shows up.

I dont really mind sales so much but working on just commission is frustrating sometimes. This new job with NYLife would be fine if I had the customer base to start. I've been busting my ass for over a month and haven't even filled out a single insurance application. I can't even move back into my moms house. Her whole downstairs is gutted from the Isaac flood and my dad lives in a 1 bedroom. I'm just getting deeper and deeper into an already deep hole.

-Mark Twain
10-12-2012, 01:24 PM
(10-12-2012 01:22 PM)bemore Wrote:  Are you cold calling on the door or over the phone?
What sort of insurance is it?
It's New York Life. I guess if you have a large enough natural market (people you already know) then you can make it through the first several months but I don't. And the people I do know aren't interested. I have family members that won't even answer the phone when I call now.

-Mark Twain
10-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Well, in that case, I think it might be a good idea first for you to figure out what you might be interested in doing. As the saying goes, if you don't know where you're going, you're never going to get there.
10-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Yeah, working on commission doesn't sound too promising, esp. if you're new and don't have a client base or whatever it is...

Anything else you're good at? Even something really obscure (sometimes those are the best skills)?

Or can you get someone else to help with getting your daughter home and take the other job? At least temporarily?

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."