I don't like argueing we with people have a lot of.misconceptions...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-11-2015, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2015 09:10 AM by hiddenmagic.)
I don't like argueing we with people have a lot of.misconceptions...
My pastor tried to debate me recently. I didn't really feel like hearing out his arguments. He didn't know basic science terminology. Such as: theory, hypothesis,. He said there was to much evidence for God. (It was just intelligent design, and certain archeological evidence for the bible.)

Edit: punctuation
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-11-2015, 09:07 AM
RE: I don't like argueing we with people have a lot of.misconceptions...
(23-11-2015 09:04 AM)hiddenmagic Wrote:  My pastor tried to debarwdebarw e recently. I didn't really feel like, hearing out his arguments. He didn't know basic science terminology. Such as: theory, hypothesis,. He said there was to much evidence for God. (It was just intelligent design, and certain archeological evidence for the bible.

Well try debarwdebarw e here and see what result you get!
[+] 2 users Like DerFish's post
23-11-2015, 09:43 AM
You have a pastor?
[+] 1 user Likes Iñigo's post
23-11-2015, 10:52 AM
(23-11-2015 09:04 AM)hiddenmagic Wrote:  My pastor tried to debate me recently. I didn't really feel like hearing out his arguments. He didn't know basic science terminology. Such as: theory, hypothesis,. He said there was to much evidence for God. (It was just intelligent design, and certain archeological evidence for the bible.)

Thank your pastor for sharing his views with you, and tell him that you respect his opinion because you're sure it "comes from the heart," or some such touchy-feely statement that will be well received. Then tell him that you follow the science on subjects like this and that you believe he's mistaken. If you wish, you can provide a very brief overview of the evidence that supports your view, and then simply stop communicating with him.

If he doesn't like your beliefs, then it's too bad.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
23-11-2015, 11:33 AM
(23-11-2015 09:43 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  You have a pastor?

I do. I am still living with my parents.
23-11-2015, 01:25 PM
(23-11-2015 11:33 AM)hiddenmagic Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 09:43 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  You have a pastor?

I do. I am still living with my parents.

So you are out to your family. Did they tell your pastor? Are they forcing you to still go to church?
23-11-2015, 02:30 PM
Hi there hiddenmagic. Welcome to the forum. I hope your situation is resolved sooner than later.

Good luck! D.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
24-11-2015, 03:01 AM
I'm not a fan of that, but I generally in that case revert to asking loose questions on the manner to hopefully help them retract on making so many misconceptions without seeing it is being done.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
24-11-2015, 05:45 AM
Quote:So you are out to your family. Did they tell your pastor? Are they forcing you to still go to church?

So many questions? You should have some interesting discussions with them.

Drinking Beverage

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
24-11-2015, 09:05 AM
(23-11-2015 09:04 AM)hiddenmagic Wrote:  My pastor tried to debate me recently. I didn't really feel like hearing out his arguments. He didn't know basic science terminology. Such as: theory, hypothesis,. He said there was to much evidence for God. (It was just intelligent design, and certain archeological evidence for the bible.)

It gets tedious yes, but unfortunately if you do not challenge bad claims, these people can get into public office and affect laws regarding education and science.

Imagine if Ben Carson became president how much more damage he could do to science textbooks via stacking the Supreme Court. We already have a fundy Texas school board that unfortunately makes repeated attempts to twist science or dumb it down and that board acts as the template for schoolbooks nationwide.

I get it, but there has to be those who take the time to combat these absurdities.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post