Poll: Would you not shop/eat at a company if their beliefs aren't in line with yours?
I would definitely stop giving my business.
No. It wouldn't make a difference if I stopped giving my business anyway.
[Show Results]

"I don't like what you believe..."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2013, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2013 02:10 PM by Peanut.)
"I don't like what you believe..."
I can understand SOME stuff that people say about [my place of employment], but sometimes, I scratch my head as to how they can make grand assumptions on a corporation as a whole.

Would you REALLY never shop/eat at a company just because their beliefs are different than your own? If so, why?

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2013, 02:39 PM
RE: "I don't like what you believe..."
It would all depend on how important that difference in morality was and how strong I felt about it.

Would I stop going somewhere because they didn't like the color orange and felt that whole wheat was evil? Probably not. Tongue Would I stop going to Mom and Pops Bake shoppe if they started a policy of not serving gay people? Then yeah I would stop going there.
[+] 4 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
03-03-2013, 02:42 PM
(03-03-2013 02:39 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  It would all depend on how important that difference in morality was and how strong I felt about it.

Would I stop going somewhere because they didn't like the color orange and felt that whole wheat was evil? Probably not. Tongue Would I stop going to Mom and Pops Bake shoppe if they started a policy of not serving gay people? Then yeah I would stop going there.
This post was inspired by your post Smile

It seems some people have a lot to say about this subject.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
03-03-2013, 02:57 PM
I haven't been to McDonalds since the mid 80s and I haven't been to WalMart since the late 90s. So yes, I probably would stop doing business at a place who's practices I think are fucked.

I usually don't care what someone believes but if it effects the way they run business, then that's something they can control. Doing business with them - or not - is the one thing I can control.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
03-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Yah, could do it if the crime was something I cared about. Like HG said, not gonna bat an eyelid if they don't serve people who bat their eyelids, but if they're gonna be all grumpy about stuff like being gay or Muslim or whatever then fuck them - for at least as long as they're not the closest convenient store and I remember...
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
03-03-2013, 03:03 PM
(03-03-2013 02:57 PM)kim Wrote:  I haven't been to McDonalds since the mid 80s and I haven't been to WalMart since the late 90s. So yes, I probably would stop doing business at a place who's practices I think are fucked.

I usually don't care what someone believes but if it effects the way they run business, then that's something they can control. Doing business with them - or not - is the one thing I can control.
Exactly kim.

If the owner of (insert business here) doesnt LIKE something and it doesnt affect their business thats one thing. You're allowed to think what ever you want. Its your actions that matter.
03-03-2013, 04:37 PM
I don't care what they believe, it's their actions that count. So Chick Fil 'A's financial support of anti-homosexual organizations and bills and their "don't ask, don't tell" policy is enough for me to say "fuck you" and I haven't eaten there in months and don't plan to. Although I do miss the chicken, it is delicious.

But if I found out the CEO of Coke or something was a fundie douchebag, I wouldn't care. It would only bother me if he used company resources to pursue agendas contrary to my own beliefs.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
03-03-2013, 04:42 PM
I chose the invisible option that says
"Yes, I would stop giving my business when possible. (unless all available grocery stores are owned by those with differing views, as I will not starve, or the offending stores are offering a better price by more than 10% and I can't get a price match anywhere else)"
03-03-2013, 04:49 PM
I did stop doing business at a privately owned hardware store when the owner made some nasty racist remarks.

As far as corporate goes, I agree Phad. Somewhere in most companies of any size there are going to people you don't agree with...it sure would limit where you could shop/eat/etc. if you went that far.

It pissed me off that Hobby Lobby is closed on Sunday (a la Chic-Fil-A) because I can usually only get there on a weekend if I need something. They also have tons of religiously inspired products but that not what I go there for.

Kim mentioned WalMart...I seldom go there because it has become a complete freak show. Now and then I go...when freakin Hobby Lobby is closed and I need something for a sewing project.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-03-2013, 04:56 PM
(03-03-2013 04:42 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I chose the invisible option that says
"Yes, I would stop giving my business when possible. (unless all available grocery stores are owned by those with differing views, as I will not starve, or the offending stores are offering a better price by more than 10% and I can't get a price match anywhere else)"
I considered a "neither" option, but I forgot to put it Smile

And I never even heard of Chick fil A (however it's spelled) before that controversy! It's. A stupid name, in my opinion.