I don't need to believe, I know and think...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2013, 12:05 AM
RE: I don't need to believe, I know and think...
(02-02-2013 11:45 AM)DeathsNotoriousAngel Wrote:  I think atheist should make a an effort to remove the words "I believe" from our vocabulary. To believe something is to accept a presupposition based on evidence lacking assumptions. We should either know or we should think, but never believe in something.
Now maybe you might be saying, "Well whats the big deal with being grammatically correct?" Well, people take inferences by what you say. If someone says they believe something that usually implies that their supporting ideas are based on perception. When you assert that you think something, you are not pushing that you are asserting it as the truth, but that in the thinking process you have come up with your own hypothesis and possibly even formed a theory. While knowing something is based on facts. The problem is people get these three words mixed up when speaking. They'll say "they know" that God is real or 9/11 was a conspiracy by the government based upon assumptions of perception. In reality, "they believe" is more accurate.
Anyway, let me finish this diatribe with a little philosophy. I'd like to outline the difference between believing and knowing or thinking. Racism is a good example. I do not believe in the principle ideology that one race is the chosen people yadda yadda yadda. That doesn't mean that I don't know what racism is and think that it is wrong. So the next time a Christian tells you that you can't have morals without "belief", you tell them "I don't need to believe, I know and think..."

I know I believe I think I agree with you.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Grassy Knoll's post
03-02-2013, 03:24 PM
When I'm interrupted at home, or out in public, I respond to them in a direct way. I say, there is no god, and nothing you say is going to change that. To me, this leave no wiggle room. Then I bask in their shock and disappointment of my statement.

Science investigates, religion interprets.

I got my first like....[Image: weeping.gif] Thank you!
Find all posts by this user
03-02-2013, 03:41 PM
(03-02-2013 12:05 AM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  I know I believe I think I agree with you.

Now you're just trying to hurt my melon. Undecided

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user