I don't think religion is effective at helping people cope with death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2016, 07:25 PM
RE: I don't think religion is effective at helping people cope with death
(10-01-2016 07:57 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-01-2016 05:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  But you don't know that something other than religion might help even more. Drinking Beverage

What I do know is that religion helped them. And I have a lack of belief in something other than religion that might have helped them even more so to deal with the tragic demise of their loved one, or their anxiety of their own violent death.

You are pharmaceutically naive.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-01-2016, 08:10 PM
(12-01-2016 09:11 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 07:51 AM)Chas Wrote:  Your lack of belief that something else may have been better is not compelling. Drinking Beverage

Nor is your undisclosed "something other than religion". You give too much viability to an alternative that doesn't exist. If you think the mother of Emmet Till could have just as equally drawn hope and comfort from something other than religion when looking at the mauled body of her son, I would like to hear what the alternative belief would have been? The alternative here would likely have been despair, and hopelessness.

It's not a coincidence unbelief is nearly non-existent among the destitute, the poor, and the suffering, and found in abundance among the privileged, and the comfortable.

Shared grief, shared memories, embraces, and hot food are real. Religion offers comfortable lies, not comfort.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
17-01-2016, 04:38 PM
I'm coping with it right now. Two deaths of family members of coworkers who are dear to me within the past week, and just yesterday a very close friend died as a result of a car collision.

Being so long an atheist, I am entirely 'comforted' by knowing their after-death fate is identical to that of a dog, an earthworm, a flea, a head of lettuce, a mushroom. Doesn't make the pain of my coworkers any easier to reckon with, nor my own grief in the loss of my friend. But at least I'm not going through it under the weight of a bunch of nonsensical illusions.
17-01-2016, 05:13 PM
When my sister died at 65 I muttered along with everybody else "She is in Heaven now," but when my brother died nobody was saying that since he was a practicing alcohol until his dementia got him locked up.
18-01-2016, 11:47 AM
(17-01-2016 05:13 PM)DerFish Wrote:  When my sister died at 65 I muttered along with everybody else "She is in Heaven now," but when my brother died nobody was saying that since he was a practicing alcohol until his dementia got him locked up.

I will say a prayer for your brother.

#sigh
18-01-2016, 12:48 PM
(12-01-2016 08:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  Shared grief, shared memories, embraces, and hot food are real.

Sure they are, and none of them would likely of helped the mother of Emmett Till deal with the violent death of her son. Nor MLK's fear of his own violent death. They probably do a lot for folks living in glass houses. Religion may not do anything for you in regards to dealing with tragedy, or whatever else may come your way. To doubt it's ability to provide hope for the hopeless, meaning for the meaningless, only reveals your own ignorance of lives outside of your little box.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
18-01-2016, 02:51 PM
(18-01-2016 12:48 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 08:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  Shared grief, shared memories, embraces, and hot food are real.

Sure they are, and none of them would likely of helped
have helped
Quote:the mother of Emmett Till deal with the violent death of her son.
That is quite a lot of supposition on your part. It is not, however, an argument.
Quote:Nor MLK's fear of his own violent death.
That too.
Quote:They probably do a lot for folks living in glass houses.
Meaning what?
Quote:Religion may not do anything for you in regards to dealing with tragedy, or whatever else may come your way.
Of course not, I am not religious and never have been.
Quote:To doubt it's ability to provide hope for the hopeless, meaning for the meaningless, only reveals your own ignorance of lives outside of your little box.
No, you chucklehead, I never said that. I said that something else might do better.

18-01-2016, 02:58 PM
(18-01-2016 02:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  
Quote:Religion may not do anything for you in regards to dealing with tragedy, or whatever else may come your way.
[quote]

Well no shit?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
18-01-2016, 03:00 PM
(18-01-2016 02:58 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 02:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  
[quote]

Well no shit?

Quote:That is quite a lot of supposition on your part. It is not, however, an argument.

It's all just a matter of knowing their stories, how they dealt with their own predicaments, of their reliance on their faith.

18-01-2016, 03:41 PM
(18-01-2016 03:00 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-01-2016 02:58 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Of course not, I am not religious and never have been.

Well no shit?

Quote:That is quite a lot of supposition on your part. It is not, however, an argument.

It's all just a matter of knowing their stories, how they dealt with their own predicaments, of their reliance on their faith.

No, it isn't. Neither you nor they know that there isn't something better.