I don't understand Christian views on science as it relates to the Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2016, 10:35 AM
RE: I don't understand Christian views on science as it relates to the Bible
It's because they really don't believe it.
Part of their brain still functions enough to say....
"OK, this part is a metaphor and not to be taken literally."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2016, 10:49 AM
(05-05-2016 05:58 PM)Vosur Wrote:  [...] Why do they try to argue that it was allegorical when their God is allegedly perfectly capable of both accomplishing this feat and making sure that nobody but Matthew would ever write about this massive resurrection of the dead?
It's a common defense of the Christian apologists if you query a specific claim that defies the logic or evidence of science... "Oh that? It's only an allegory". Or "It's only metaphorical" or "a parable"..... ad nauseam.

It's one of their most popular get-out-of-jail cards LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
06-05-2016, 11:10 AM
(06-05-2016 09:32 AM)Vosur Wrote:  That discomfort is exactly what I don't understand. The God you believed in back then was able to do things that defy science, wasn't he? So then why would the mention of something in the Bible that defies science be a discomforting thing? Wouldn't it just confirm that God can do anything? I would imagine that it would be weirder for the Bible to be completely in agreement with science because it would suggest that there are no records of God ever doing anything that can't be explained with science, nothing that defies our fallible human understanding. It would make God a rather unremarkable being.

Well, that that's where it's weird. I didn't have a problem with overt magical, miracles. But any time I thought I could get science and the Bible to reconcile, I thought that just somehow made it more believable.

As you said, it's not like that would even prove anything. It could be as simple as me trying to take my love of science and religious beliefs and merge them.