I don't understand closet atheism.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2012, 09:57 AM
I don't understand closet atheism.
Just tell everyone already. Wouldn't you want to know if the people you love would hate you for not believing in god? I would and likely wouldn't be upset if they chose to not associate with me anymore. Family or not. Same thing if you're gay.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2012, 10:04 AM
RE: I don't understand closet atheism.
(23-04-2012 09:57 AM)germanyt Wrote:  Just tell everyone already. Wouldn't you want to know if the people you love would hate you for not believing in god? I would and likely wouldn't be upset if they chose to not associate with me anymore. Family or not. Same thing if you're gay.

It's easy to say that people should risk losing their families and people they care about when you have nothing on the line. You might feel differently if you were in that situation.

It's one of the things I'm most thankful for that I don't have to go through all that.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 3 users Like Hughsie's post
23-04-2012, 10:05 AM
I kind of agree with you. I would want to know how my parents would react. They would have that one chance to show whether they are good people or not. It they hate you for it then cast them aside. I have absolutely no time for intolerance.

It is nice that I am not in that situation though. Smile

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
23-04-2012, 10:07 AM
I guess it depends on the family situation.

It's kind of the same premise as not telling your family members that you have cancer. You want to find the right time, and you know the news may upset them.

...and you know that being an atheist can upset more devout family members.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
I have a rather large family. 6 aunts and uncles and ~30 cousins and 2nd cousins. Most of them highly religious. I gave 2 fucks about what they would think. I'd rather be banished from my family than pretend to be something I detest just so a bunch of people who don't really care about me anyway will continue to tolerate me.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
(23-04-2012 10:05 AM)frankiej Wrote:  I kind of agree with you. I would want to know how my parents would react. They would have that one chance to show whether they are good people or not. It they hate you for it then cast them aside. I have absolutely no time for intolerance.

It is nice that I am not in that situation though. Smile

Quote of the day that is Frankie.

Such a brilliant way to promote a tolerant attitude Big Grin.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
23-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Yes, I am aware that I am intolerant is intolerance. Tongue

I think it is because I lived with my racist, homophobic step dad for so long. I hate him for such things.

[Image: opforum1.png]
23-04-2012, 10:12 AM
(23-04-2012 10:07 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I have a rather large family. 6 aunts and uncles and ~30 cousins and 2nd cousins. Most of them highly religious. I gave 2 fucks about what they would think. I'd rather be banished from my family than pretend to be something I detest just so a bunch of people who don't really care about me anyway will continue to tolerate me.
Yeah, but not everyone has that same attitude.

Some people have small families to which they are extremely close.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
23-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Some of it for me is I just don't want the hassle. If I came totally out, I'd have to deal with more than just my family. I'd have 100 people emailing and calling me to try to point out how foolish I am. It's not that I can't stand up to them, it's that I don't want to.
And I have no fear of my family hating me. That would never happen. But I'm a bit of a mama's boy in that I don't want to break my 77 year old mom's heart, which would happen.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 6 users Like Erxomai's post
23-04-2012, 10:28 AM
(23-04-2012 10:12 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(23-04-2012 10:07 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I have a rather large family. 6 aunts and uncles and ~30 cousins and 2nd cousins. Most of them highly religious. I gave 2 fucks about what they would think. I'd rather be banished from my family than pretend to be something I detest just so a bunch of people who don't really care about me anyway will continue to tolerate me.
Yeah, but not everyone has that same attitude.

Some people have small families to which they are extremely close.
I think they are just afraid of change. Think about it like this. If you were straight in a family full of gays would you fuck men to fit in?

-Mark Twain