I don't understand.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2011, 03:21 PM
RE: I don't understand.
(12-11-2011 01:59 PM)The_observer Wrote:  
(11-11-2011 11:47 PM)PeterK Wrote:  What are your most convincing reasons that God does NOT exist? Without a shadow of a doubt what do people believe that convinces them this?.
God does not exist because non existence is the default position. If you don't know whether there is a cat in your cupboard, there IS no cat in your cupboard unless you can prove there is. (especially since no one but you seem to actually know the cat)

If you claim there is a god, you prove it. not the other way around. To me the default position is no god.

And by the way...
Before you start proving Him, be so kind to define Him first.

It boils down to this:
I don't worship deities for the same reason I don't regard to an invisible infinite ham in my fridge as being lunch. It’s a waste of time and again I’ll eat something else anyway this evening. Big Grin
What do I mean by this? You can pray, call and worship God all you like but if you’re ill you go to a doctor and when your house is on fire you call other humans to extinguish it. God is useless...

It is all a matter of definition.

If I claim god is ineffable then I am really saying nothing.
If I claim that god is not ineffable, unless I extend this statement, I am also saying nothing.

Consider the Christian notion of god being omniscient.
For a being to Know past and future ad infinitum is beyond human comprehension.
I would argue that from a secular position, given our present limitations, that such a god is impossible.

From a cosmic perspective, assuming perpetual flux, it is also extremely difficult to posit a stagnant omniscience within flux[/i] as this seems to come across as an oxymoron.

[i]When in trouble
When in doubt
Laugh and cry
Jump and shout
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
12-11-2011, 03:24 PM
(12-11-2011 03:21 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  .

From a cosmic perspective, assuming perpetual flux, it is also extremely difficult to posit a stagnant omniscience within flux as this seems to come across as an oxymoron.

...and I come across as incomprehensible. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-11-2011, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2011 04:23 PM by kim.)
(12-11-2011 03:21 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  When in trouble
When in doubt
Laugh and cry
Jump and shout

I like this.
I just might put it into practice it the next time I have to sit through a meeting with 3 idiot managers.
Big Grin
(12-11-2011 01:50 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  Kim, thanks for the video, I loved it -- but I usually love everything about Feynman.
I have read 2 of his biographies, most of his books and, of course his Lectures on Physics.
Isn't it wonderful how he embraces doubt? (Have you read John Ralston Saul's "The Doubter's Companion"?)
One of my favourites of his books is "The Meaning of it All".
I have heard of John Ralston Saul but not read him... The Field Trilogy has been on my reading list forever -I seriously need to get to that.

I consider Feynman a national treasure.
I have not read much about him biographically, until recently -mostly anecdotes from friends and co-workers.
Years ago, I read something in Omni magazine (yes-I'm that old) which stuck in my head. I recently found the quote and it seems quite simple now, but to a very young person, this was one of those moments when I thought I might grow up to know something one day. He said, "As long as it looks like the way things are built [is] with wheels within wheels, then you are looking for the innermost wheel -but it might not be that way, in which case you are looking for whatever the hell it is you find!"
Exclamation

Smile I just keep smiling.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Omni!
Wasn't that just the best damn thing ever to hit the magazine racks?

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
12-11-2011, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2011 05:23 PM by Mr Woof.)
(12-11-2011 05:12 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Omni!

Thanks Kim.
I like humour and belong to a laugh club.
Do a little bit of public speaking, and too
much seriousness can destroy you.
We all need to loosen up at times.Big Grin Ooops sorry Peterkin, may have repled to wrong post. Must be an aged thing!
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
12-11-2011, 06:23 PM
(12-11-2011 05:12 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Omni!
Depending on yer level of geekiness... I had a sub to Scientific American...

Omni was a good rag, from what I remember. Now, there's net, and Science 2.0, among others. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post