I don't want my mom to become an atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2012, 11:57 PM
There wasn't a Positive Theism section, so I thought I'd slip it in here anyway.

I was pondering a bit tonight. Perhaps inspired by the leftover turkey dinner from American Thanksgiving, I was thinking about my 77 year old mother who has suffered physical pain throughout her body for large chunks of her life and especially the past 4 or 5 years her pains have really beaten her down. She is unable to do so many of the things she loves. I remember my mom being a fun and festive hostess for Thanksgiving dinner. She enjoyed decorating the house and having all the right pre-feasting snacks. For several years she would buy silly toys for all the family members. The best year was the marshmallow guns she bought for my nephews and for my brother and me. We had to stop that practice because the Pug was eating all the marshmallows and getting Puggier. Big Grin

In all the years of my mom's physical suffering, I've rarely ever heard her complain. I've heard her scream out in pain and had an anxiety attack because of it, but she doesn't complain. She thinks that she is meant to go through this suffering to help her identify more closely to Zombie Jesus. She thinks that her faith is going to lead her into an eternal life where she will have a new body with no more pain ever again and she will have such absolute gratitude to The Lord for all he has done for her. I don't know how much longer she'll be here. Maybe another 20 years. Maybe much sooner. I like that my mom is able to find comfort in thinking that she'll soon be in the loving and healing arms of Jesus, and she'll see my dad again, and oh, how is she going to explain being married to StepBob for 20 some years and hm...

If I were to challenge my mom to a theological debate and could by the end of it convince her without a doubt it's all been a lie, I wouldn't go through with it. If she were to become an atheist today, it would ruin her. She'd say, "You mean I went through all that fucking pain shit and there's no reward waiting for me in a non-existent heaven?"

Now, do I wish my mom had become an atheist at a much younger age, or was always an atheist? Sure thing. It would have made my life better! I think in her case she would have relied on science more instead of faith in god to get better treatment at different times in her life.

Anyway. That's just my little two-cents for the night. Maybe should have filed this under the What Did I Learn Today Thread. Or maybe this will open a little more of the discussion we often have on coming out to families.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Erxomai's post
23-11-2012, 12:10 AM
RE: I don't want my mom to become an atheist.
As (viciously) opposed to religious irrationality though I may be; I can actually agree with this sentiment. At that point in someone's life, and in that condition, there's no real reason to take their crutch away. Dr. House would totally kick me in the cunt for saying that (with his good leg, anyway), but really, it's not gonna be much of a benefit to have them lose their faith - and in fact, may even be a detriment.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
23-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Erxie, despite all the dumbfuckery, you truly are a gem.

This is similar to why I'm careful about my replies to my grandmother's come-to-Jesus letters.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
23-11-2012, 02:50 AM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2012 02:54 AM by Atothetheist.)
I have a different opinion. If it was my mother I would convince her because then she can finally look at how the universe really is, and how much damage religion can cause.Just because it makes her feel better doesn't mean that we should let her keep a lie.

A good example of this would be like a Jew who thinks the Nazi gas chambers were portals to Yahweh and they would be totally fine. It MAY give them comfort and hope, but retrospectively it is still a lie, and while however comforting it maybe, imagine how much more devastated your decendants will be when they know you died believing in that extremely stupid proposition.

There may be nothing better than hope, Erxy, but there may be nothing worse than FALSE hope.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
23-11-2012, 04:45 AM
A person does not become an atheist through the will of another person. They make the conscious decision themselves. If your mother decides to become an atheist with her full knowledge and consent, who are you to tell her not to?

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
23-11-2012, 07:21 AM
I feel the same about my aunt, who is religious to the point of total delusion. She is 83 and frail and it helps her cope.

Ato, if you try to take that away from her, I'm going to have to take steps to shut you up.

Deconversion at such an age and fragile time of life equals killing someone. Their entire frame of reference would be gone and there would be no reason to live another day. Their whole life would have been wrong.

This would be a very cruel thing to do. I wouldn't stand for it.

Now, if you are thinking of your 40 year old mother, that's different. But to do it to someone who is nearing the end of their life is just cold.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
23-11-2012, 08:19 AM
(23-11-2012 04:45 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  A person does not become an atheist through the will of another person. They make the conscious decision themselves. If your mother decides to become an atheist with her full knowledge and consent, who are you to tell her not to?

I don't think he's saying he'd stop her if she came to atheism herself--I think he means that Mom's comfort and hope are more important to him imposing his views on her. (IheartErxie)

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
23-11-2012, 08:31 AM
(23-11-2012 04:45 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  A person does not become an atheist through the will of another person. They make the conscious decision themselves. If your mother decides to become an atheist with her full knowledge and consent, who are you to tell her not to?

She would never come to that place on her own.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
23-11-2012, 09:44 AM
I personally believe that people should believe whatever makes them happy so long as it isn't hurting anyone else. I didn't used to believe that, but times change and they change people too.

If it makes your mother able to get through her days then why should it matter what she believes? It's not like she is telling you to fuck off because you're a dirty atheist piece of scum, which some theists will do especially when they get older.

I'm with you man.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
23-11-2012, 01:04 PM
(23-11-2012 07:21 AM)Dom Wrote:  I feel the same about my aunt, who is religious to the point of total delusion. She is 83 and frail and it helps her cope.

Ato, if you try to take that away from her, I'm going to have to take steps to shut you up.

Deconversion at such an age and fragile time of life equals killing someone. Their entire frame of reference would be gone and there would be no reason to live another day. Their whole life would have been wrong.

This would be a very cruel thing to do. I wouldn't stand for it.

Now, if you are thinking of your 40 year old mother, that's different. But to do it to someone who is nearing the end of their life is just cold.
So converting somebody at an old age EQUALS death? In what way would that be true for nearly all old people? You are assuming that almost all old people think religion as everything in there life, which is wholely untrue seeing as there is still love and family. Was their love wrong, Dom? Was their choice to marry wrong? What about having a child?Was that wrong? No, Dom, their whole life wouldn't be wrong as religion may INFLUENCE, but rarely does it ever become the persons life.

Let's take your post and dissect it for realz Dom.

I can only talk to my mother about God, becoming an atheist or antitheist or agnostic or apathetic to it all is HER choice. It is not my CHOICE to force her into something like that.

If I talk to somebody about Murder, and they commit a murder... Is it my fault that they committed a terrible and disgusting crime, just because I talked to them? Nope, because if so movies and other shit would get in trouble.

Are you really that pessimistic about old people that you think that they can't function without religion?

Now, I am curious, what type of steps are you going to take to stop me from talking about God to my mother, or even any family member at all?

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.