I don't want to make fun of a sad situation....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2012, 07:30 PM
I don't want to make fun of a sad situation....
I want to comment on this story : http://news.yahoo.com/hospital-says-ind-...51004.html

There was a tornado that killed about 40 people. A baby was found alive amongst the rubble on Friday, after everyone else was found dead. Immediately, the christians started hawking about how this was god looking out for the baby and this is a sign of god. 2 days later the baby died. What are they saying now. Why do you stupid fucking christians always get to have it both ways. the baby lives -its god- the baby dies- i guess now it's gods will. I'm sick of it. I'm sure you idiots were praying for this baby for 2 days and it didn't work!!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like satan69's post
04-03-2012, 07:36 PM
RE: I don't want to make fun of a sad situation....
They're morons but did you expect anything less? Undecided
They're always saying shit like that.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 3 users Like aurora's post
04-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Her grandfather, Jack Brough, says the family is thankful for the thoughts and prayers they have received and is looking to God.

This is a sad situation for that family. The Grandfather's faith will be shaken. He will likely justify that God has a special plan for all of them and one day he will see them again. This may bring him comfort, even if it's no true.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
04-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Im not making fun of a sad situation but Doug Stanhope says exactly how I feel about situations like this one.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 4 users Like bemore's post
04-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Another example.Here is scientific evidence of A=fraud, and people still believe B= what they want to hear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRc4LkBRjIc
05-03-2012, 01:14 AM
(04-03-2012 07:51 PM)bemore Wrote:  Im not making fun of a sad situation but Doug Stanhope says exactly how I feel about situations like this one.

That was awesome! "It's pumped into the brain making a soft spot, right at that point while they're Santa Claus eligible..."

I heard a philosopher put it best. He says that when people die, of course we're sad... even if they're in a better place, we're sad because they've left our lives permanently. But it's not grief. And he illustrated it with a very clever thought experiment.

Imagine that someone you love very much is leaving this planet in a spaceship to go live on a colony on some other planet. There's no chance that you'll ever see them again, but it's what they've always wanted and they're leaving for a better world. So you watch the spaceship lift off, and you know that you'll never see them again... you shed a tear, because you feel sad for yourself and your future without them. And then the spaceship blows up in midair. Feel that change in your emotions? It shouldn't matter --- either way, you were never going to see them again. But that emotional twinge is what we feel about death --- it's grief --- because none of us see it as a transition to a "better place", and we feel genuinely awful for that loved one.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Starcrash's post
05-03-2012, 06:46 AM
(05-03-2012 01:14 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(04-03-2012 07:51 PM)bemore Wrote:  Im not making fun of a sad situation but Doug Stanhope says exactly how I feel about situations like this one.

That was awesome! "It's pumped into the brain making a soft spot, right at that point while they're Santa Claus eligible..."

I heard a philosopher put it best. He says that when people die, of course we're sad... even if they're in a better place, we're sad because they've left our lives permanently. But it's not grief. And he illustrated it with a very clever thought experiment.

Imagine that someone you love very much is leaving this planet in a spaceship to go live on a colony on some other planet. There's no chance that you'll ever see them again, but it's what they've always wanted and they're leaving for a better world. So you watch the spaceship lift off, and you know that you'll never see them again... you shed a tear, because you feel sad for yourself and your future without them. And then the spaceship blows up in midair. Feel that change in your emotions? It shouldn't matter --- either way, you were never going to see them again. But that emotional twinge is what we feel about death --- it's grief --- because none of us see it as a transition to a "better place", and we feel genuinely awful for that loved one.

You could easily argue that the person is not grieving at first because he knows there is still a chance that he will meet them again. As long as they are not dead, that possibility will always remain.
05-03-2012, 08:10 AM
(05-03-2012 06:46 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(05-03-2012 01:14 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  

You could easily argue that the person is not grieving at first because he knows there is still a chance that he will meet them again. As long as they are not dead, that possibility will always remain.

Grief is a very strange thing, it is irrational to the core, and it is physical.

This is something I have researched and talked to many about as of late, since I am caught in a cycle of major grief since my husband died 2 months ago.

There are many levels. When your parents die, it hurts, but it is a bearable, healthy pain. It is normal for your parents to pass while you live. It is part of your growth. It is part of life that is normal and we have evolved to make the best of it.(in most cases. Not if tere was a violent death, for instance.)

When a child dies, it is a whole other type of pain, and it is harder to bear emotionally. But, you have not been in the physical presence of this child for all that long, and healing (although never complete when you are talking about grief) is faster.

When someone dies in whose company you have lived for decades, day and night, it becomes a very physical thing. Every morning when you wake up, you have forgotten that the person has died and you start grieving all over again. Every scent, every sound, every daily activity, music, food, etc etc, everything this person has been a part of for decades triggers grief. And there is no controlling it, it is a physical process.

Grief is not about the person who died at all. It is all about the person who lives, and whose daily activities, thoughts and reactions have been partially based on the dead person. Every action and thought triggers a grief reaction in the brain, the old way of reacting is obsolete, habits have to be changed, there is a physical withdrawal much like a drug withdrawal.

And yes, as long as there is a chance of meeting again in this life, the withdrawal becomes different. It's missing someone who just might walk in that door again. The main difference being the strength of the triggered reactions, and the ability to rationalize them away.

So, if you firmly believe (no doubts allowed here) that you WILL see this person again in an afterlife, it does mellow the grief somewhat. But you are still going through a physical withdrawal. It just allows for some more thought control.

Just like any withdrawal, grief has a physical basis as well as an emotional one. Neither of them are rational.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
05-03-2012, 11:16 AM
The baby died after family members pulled the life-support plug.

Fuck you and your alleged help, Jesus.

http://news.yahoo.com/baby-angel-babcock...-news.html

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
05-03-2012, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2012 12:38 PM by Starcrash.)
(05-03-2012 06:46 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  You could easily argue that the person is not grieving at first because he knows there is still a chance that he will meet them again. As long as they are not dead, that possibility will always remain.

It's just a thought experiment... the person not returning is a given, as part of the premise. But nevertheless, it doesn't really matter... it's just to illustrate to the reader the difference between sadness and grief.
(05-03-2012 08:10 AM)Dom Wrote:  Just like any withdrawal, grief has a physical basis as well as an emotional one. Neither of them are rational.

Isn't that kind of selfish? I've had friends that I've lost contact with, and I hardly feel sad when I think about them... they're doing fine, but they're just not a part of my life. It's a different feeling than the consideration of people that are dead... and I do think about people who have died. Your post was all about the person going through the withdrawal symptoms, but it's a little different when we talk about people, because of course no one cares about how their drug is doing without them. Most of us care about the happiness and well-being of people we've lost touch with. It's part of the consolation.

Nonetheless, like I expressed to mysticjbyrd, the point of the thought experiment was to make the reader personally feel each emotion so that the reader could personally sort out the difference between sadness and grief. If you didn't feel anything different, then I can't help further because I don't know how to clarify the difference in words. It's like anger and fury... the only way you'd know the degrees of difference between two similar emotions is to have felt each.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user