I don't want to "read" a movie!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2012, 12:28 AM
RE: I don't want to "read" a movie!
(05-04-2012 10:23 PM)Filox Wrote:  My opinion is that Hollywood can spend money and time on new things, not remakes of remakes, of remakes...

While I agree with you here for the most part, that Hollywood's producers should focus on new ideas and not remakes, there's two problems with this from the investor's point of view.

Firstly, new ideas, Intellectual Property (IP), are very risky. All you have is polling data on the main topics/subjects to point towards if it'll be a financial success or failure and this data may not always be correct. Because of this, it's easier to make a buck on already proven IP. I believe this is why we're seeing movies based in the Marvel universe (The Hulk, Iron Man, Cpt American, The Avengers, etc).

Secondly, it's not always a bad idea to revive dead IP with a movie. While it may not be the best example, let's first use Clerks 2. Your average Joe might have gone to see this in the theaters, enjoyed it, and when he went home he'd look up to see what Clerks 1 was. This would then lead them to other great movies such as Clerks 1, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, and Jay and Silent Bob. A better example might be HBO's recent revival of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" book series with the production of Game of Thrones. Someone watches Game of Thrones, enjoys it, reads more about it, and eventually buys the books. Remakes, if done correctly, can help revive a long forgotten/unknown IP.

(05-04-2012 10:23 PM)Filox Wrote:  Somebody mentioned dubbing movies. Now that is truly a blasphemy and sacrilege. First of all, "a movie" has 2 important parts, VIDEO and AUDIO. If you completely change the AUDIO part, that means you have just changed 50% of the movie, thus making that movie something else. If I were to make a movie, I would protect it by any means necessary, so that if anyone were to change it (like dubbing) I would sue his ass.

Subtitles are the only way to watch original foreign movie, without loosing the 50% of the movie. If someone can not follow that, they have serious attention disorder. Or dyslexia. Unfortunately, people like that give a bad name to the rest of Americans. Making a whole "new" movie, just for that dyslexic part of the audience is stupid and a waste of money.

Again, I partly agree with you here. When dubbing a movie, the writers need to create lines that'll fit the mouth flap of the video. This can change the entire context of what a character is saying, but I don't view this as sacrilege 100% of the time. Since it's late and I can't think of a real movie to make this point, let's pretend a Japanese movie was dubbed into English. Suppose this movie dealt largely with the Shinto kami (gods or spirits). Most westerners have no knowledge of this mythology and thus I can understand if the dubbed version changed the way these kami are explained or talked about. While it wouldn't be exactly the same, a larger audience would be able to enjoy it more than if it was only subbed. And isn't that why artists create their pieces of art? So that the maximum about of people can enjoy it?

From my personal view point, there are some anime (blame Sinner for starting her Manga thread !) series and movies I prefer dubbed and some I prefer subbed . Two quick examples: Fullmetal Alchemist. I can't stand the dubbed version. They English voice actors are terrible. Hellsing. I enjoy the dubbed for the exact opposite reason. I find the English voice actors are better than their Japanese counterparts.

Lastly, solely for the sake of promoting this movie, there are some films that are impossible to dub. My example for this is Sin Noticias de Dios, or as it's known by its English title Don't Tempt Me. This is a movie that is tri-lingual: Spanish, French, and English. The plot depends so much on each of these three languages that to dub this movie isn't to change it, but to destroy it. I highly recommend everyone to add it to their "to watch" list!

Other than those two points I wanted to give my view on, great post! Keep educating us Filox Big Grin

PS. Why do my posts keep turning into walls of text?! >.<

"The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart. The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace." -- Carlos Santana
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zephony's post
06-04-2012, 05:41 AM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2012 06:30 AM by Filox.)
Speaking of remakes, there is one I pray to all Gods that someone will do, and this time do it right.

The Last Airbender

That Shalaylalyman idiot DESTROYED the original (cartoon) with that piece of shit movie he did. I curse him for all eternity for destroying one of the most beautiful stories ever made.

I do not think anyone can do worst than that, so that is the remake of a remake I would like to see.

As for dubbing, can any of you imagine how South Park sounds in any other language, other than English?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Xfb0fbZmM

There is no valid explanation for this, this is just plain WRONG!

Now, if any of you ever saw 'Allo 'Allo tv show, you will know how impossible it is to dub something like that and retain the story and the jokes. For those who haven't seen it, shame on you, that is the biggest humor classic of all classics ever. There are English, French and German people in the show, everybody speaks English, but with different accents (accent represents language), so in the show they do not understand what the other is saying, like they are using other languages. A joke like that can not be dubbed, unless you want to loose the whole idea of the whole show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hfHyDSTX50

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
06-04-2012, 11:23 AM
I can't stand most foreign films because their acting is bad. I hate reading tons of subtitles through a whole movie simply because I read slow and try to absorb the information. I miss a good portion of the actually video.

You have different learning styles that feed into our brain differently. People are Visual, touch, or auditory learners.
When I watch a movie that is loaded with text I tend to miss a whole bunch about what's going on. I prefer the visual stimulants of the movie. I tend to read body language and facial expressions very much so. This leads to my desire for better acting and visuals.

Of course reading a book is going to be better to you than a movie. Your brain structures a world that you would like to see. The movie makers visualize a completely different world than you do. Once you see these aspects you are likely to enjoy the movie more if you just realize its just appreciating someone else's imaginative world and not just your own. Smile

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2012, 11:39 AM
(05-04-2012 10:23 PM)Filox Wrote:  ...don't let my perfect English fool you...

I can't tell if you're trying to be funny with this statement,
but just in case you aren't :

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Laughat
Shocking Huh Clap Smokin Oops Banana_zorro Rolleyes Bowing Big Grin Weeping Sadcryface2 Smartass

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Quidsane's post
08-04-2012, 02:12 AM
You still have much to learn, young padawan... Tongue

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
08-04-2012, 02:27 AM
(08-04-2012 02:12 AM)Filox Wrote:  You still have much to learn, young padawan... Tongue

OK. That's it. I'm going to have to like your post. Shit! Big Grin

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
08-04-2012, 07:38 AM
I've been annoyed at people who give that response. There was an instance nobody would watch the film Nightwatch with my girlfriend because they didn't want to watch it in Russian.

Overall I have a friend I work with who is a elaborate film buff. From silent to horror and he always watches films with subtitles regardless. He got me into that and I enjoy it a lot. I watch TV from time to time with CC. There's some things you just happen ot miss or translations that are different if your watching a dub. The best example of this I have was from the film American Beauty. It was my favorite film at a time and I watched it numerous times. It wasn't until I had subtitles that I noticed this one diner table scene when under his breath, Kevin Spacey whispers "bitch" at his wife which brilliant the whole time; sadly, I had always missed it.

The only legitimate true reason I have to oft frequently enjoying foreign films over American films is because the cliche "Hollywood Endings" is true. Plenty of times foreign films ends are brutal and some styles make them make no sense, but its rare and enjoyable if you watch a remake and the endings do match up similar.
10-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Man, I hear shit like that all the time. I watch A LOT of anime and I usually hate the English dubs, so I watch everything with the subs.

Reading never hurt anyone.