I dont understand

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2012, 12:49 AM
I dont understand
I have been an Atheist for a long time and I dont even bother or waste my time slandering religious people. All I see is fight, fight, fight. I feel it is important to relax and not act like they do. We are only as strong as our weakest link. So who is gonna be first to stop acting like a retarded Christian? I spent most of my younger days being beat-up by the bible thumpers. I just started here and I am disappointed in in all I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes sixsix98506@yahoo.com's post
07-04-2012, 01:09 AM
RE: I dont understand
If we just let ourselves be pushed around all the time, what good does it make?

[Image: s1hlsk.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes le_procyon's post
07-04-2012, 01:13 AM
There's a good bit of difference between debate, discussion, difficult discussion, insults and slander.

If you come into a forum and all you want to see is the negative posts, that is all you will see. With that said, there are plenty of good posts on the forum, good discussions and often time very deep discussion.

You say you don't want to come in and slander religious people and then sentences later you called christians retarded... This is post #2 from you. Are we to assume you're a troll, a hypocrite or someone who only wishes to see the negative in people?
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
07-04-2012, 01:37 AM
lets not start picking everything apart. - Logisch; I feel we should be standing tall and proud. I dont feel that pushing back is the answer.-procyon
07-04-2012, 01:48 AM
Not trying to pick it apart... just saying it seems a bit off to come in and say we're all a bunch of negative nancies who slander religion and then turn around and call christians retarded.

If people do not stand up for themselves and are unwilling to speak up on their behalf when the religious majority think we should have no voice and no say, you'll end up with none. I know of christians who don't care if i'm an Atheist or not, and that's great. They may not agree, they don't have to, nor do I have to agree with them. But that's a small number of people, the majority I've ran into aren't accepting of it. At least where I live.

Everyone should have a fair say, regardless of world view. I don't care if you're an Atheist, Christian, Muslim or even a Scientologist. What you wish to believe in your own home is entirely your freedom. As long as you don't try to impose and cause harm to me, my family or others, that freedom is just that, freedom. But the moment my opinion becomes negated because of my world view, the moment someone says... "You're opinion isn't worth shit because you're an Atheist." well, I've got a problem with that.

So if I just shut up, if I say nothing, do nothing and don't express that I have just as much say as the next guy, if I let people walk all over me then what will I have? I'm not going to dress up like a sheep and be a sheep my whole life because I was too afraid to "push back" or "speak up".

For some people being passive and pretending to be just like everyone else and never really having a voice might be great and all, maybe that's the easy way out. But don't you think being a free human being is a far greater thing to have?

Don't you think in generations to come it would be far greater to have it for the next generations? To have that kind of neutrality? No fear of being who you are? There's many places where being an atheist is not a big deal. There are a lot of places where some people could care less if you are or aren't religious. Those places in the world do exist. But they don't exist where I live. So until that time comes, I'm more than happy to push back, because if I don't, nothing will change.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
07-04-2012, 02:06 AM
(07-04-2012 12:49 AM)sixsix98506@yahoo.com Wrote:  I have been an Atheist for a long time and I dont even bother or waste my time slandering religious people. All I see is fight, fight, fight. I feel it is important to relax and not act like they do. We are only as strong as our weakest link. So who is gonna be first to stop acting like a retarded Christian? I spent most of my younger days being beat-up by the bible thumpers. I just started here and I am disappointed in in all I see.

In all you see?

We have no saving graces?

I take your point about not acting as they do... it is a matter of dignity.

As Hitch once wrote:

"Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the "transcendant" and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others."

And then, he added:

"Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
07-04-2012, 08:56 AM
The forum is here for all sorts of people, not just the "we just all want to get along" hippie types.
Debate is the main attraction to a place full of people who like to think out loud. This place attracts mostly those types of people, but hell I rarely participate in anything more serious than the game threads. Unless I have to.

This place will be what you make of it. If you don't want to debate, stay out of the debate threads, which are pretty obvious. If you just want to joke around and be pleasant then you'll find threads for that too. More actually.
Maybe we should categorize the threads better, so that there is less confusion.

You've only been here for a short time so it's unlikely you are yet capable of judging the entire forum. Peruse, take part. Or go silently into the night.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
07-04-2012, 09:40 AM
(07-04-2012 01:37 AM)sixsix98506@yahoo.com Wrote:  lets not start picking everything apart. - Logisch; I feel we should be standing tall and proud. I dont feel that pushing back is the answer.-procyon
Wait...so we should not respond to their pushing? Even if you claim we should stand our ground we still have to push back with equal force to be able to stand our ground. If we dont then we arent standing our ground are we? We are just being pushed back until we are pushed complaetely into the closet...or worse...Jail.

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
07-04-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm not into theological stuff so I stand my ground in the realms of science. It all depends where your stronghold is. Some people are good in philosophy, while some people use logic. I've seen enough damage caused by lack of understanding of science, and I wish to minimise the damage caused by learning and guiding.

After all, the journey of learning is unlimited. Look at the positive side, from each debate and discussion you learn something new, or that you learn not to repeat the same mistake. Don't worry if you are defeated, just understand what went wrong, stand up, and stand for what you think is true.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
07-04-2012, 10:02 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2012 07:15 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(07-04-2012 01:37 AM)sixsix98506@yahoo.com Wrote:  lets not start picking everything apart. I feel we should be standing tall and proud.

So is "picking everything apart" code for : "no critical thinking allowed" ? No need to be insecure about your reasoning abilities.
As for the "standing" thing .. if you think posturing is the answer to anything .. go for it.

Meanwhile, if I need any advice, I'll be sure and ask.
Einstein

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche