I dont understand

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2012, 10:34 AM
RE: I dont understand
(07-04-2012 12:49 AM)sixsix98506@yahoo.com Wrote:  I just started here and I am disappointed in in all I see.

Then spin 'em.

Moralizing about not moralizing; yeah, that's original.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
07-04-2012, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2012 07:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
(07-04-2012 09:40 AM)reverendjeremiah Wrote:  
(07-04-2012 01:37 AM)sixsix98506@yahoo.com Wrote:  lets not start picking everything apart. - Logisch; I feel we should be standing tall and proud. I dont feel that pushing back is the answer.-procyon
Wait...so we should not respond to their pushing? Even if you claim we should stand our ground we still have to push back with equal force to be able to stand our ground. If we dont then we arent standing our ground are we? We are just being pushed back until we are pushed complaetely into the closet...or worse...Jail.

Aikido is the answer. Defend yourself without injuring your attacker. Jesus was a master of Aikido. "And all they in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath. And rose up, and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong. But he passing through the midst of them went his way." (Luke 4:28-30, KJV) Praise Sweet Baby Jebus. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
07-04-2012, 05:34 PM
There is no point attacking when not prompted. I want people to get along. I see no reason going after people solely based upon their religion. However. If people are harmed or mistreated then I do not care what belief system you have. I will stop it.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 3 users Like Hamata k's post
08-04-2012, 01:31 AM
I guess I was wrong. I just wanted to start a conversation. So far I've been miss-quoted, and attacked by the people I thought I'd have a real connection with. I may not be the best writer, or speller, or choose the proper word. However I am on the Atheists' side. I have been there, I just mentioned to a co-worker the other day. That I was an Atheist and he went into this whole "brilliant design", thing. As I kept telling him please stop, and what did he do? You know what he did. I did not attack him back. I listened to his story, and said,"we had a difference of opinion". I will say jokingly say, The headache is finally going away.... lol

Sorry if I was miss-understood, and I will be more careful of how I word things in the future.
08-04-2012, 02:06 AM
(08-04-2012 01:31 AM)sixsix98506@yahoo.com Wrote:  I guess I was wrong. I just wanted to start a conversation. So far I've been miss-quoted, and attacked by the people I thought I'd have a real connection with. I may not be the best writer, or speller, or choose the proper word. However I am on the Atheists' side. I have been there, I just mentioned to a co-worker the other day. That I was an Atheist and he went into this whole "brilliant design", thing. As I kept telling him please stop, and what did he do? You know what he did. I did not attack him back. I listened to his story, and said,"we had a difference of opinion". I will say jokingly say, The headache is finally going away.... lol

Sorry if I was miss-understood, and I will be more careful of how I word things in the future.

I hope you enjoy your stay here. I've only been here a couple of months and I've learned a lot. One lesson that is quickly learned is regarding careful use of words (unless you are just being flippant (which often proves popular)) because there are some sharp cookies here who can pick your thoughts apart and tear your soul to shreds (metaphorically speaking, that is). It certainly helps to hone one's debating skills.

btw, did your co-worker really say "brilliant design"? I'm aware of intelligent design but that's a new one on me. I'd love to hear what his/her augument was.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-04-2012, 02:20 AM
(07-04-2012 05:34 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  There is no point attacking when not prompted. I want people to get along. I see no reason going after people solely based upon their religion.

Each to his own.
I prefer the Dawkins model, which is the opposite of what you've stated:

So when I meet somebody who claims to be religious, my first impulse is: “I don’t believe you. I don’t believe you until you tell me do you really believe — for example, if they say they are Catholic — do you really believe that when a priest blesses a wafer it turns into the body of Christ? Are you seriously telling me you believe that? Are you seriously saying that wine turns into blood?” Mock them! Ridicule them! In public!
Don’t fall for the convention that we’re all too polite to talk about religion. Religion is not off the table. Religion is not off limits.

Religion makes specific claims about the universe which need to be substantiated and need to be challenged and, if necessary, need to be ridiculed with contempt.

--excerpt from Richard Dawkins' Reason Rally speech, 24 March 2012

[Image: 0832984001338019225.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Quidsane's post
08-04-2012, 06:25 AM
I don't see the point of just getting along, of not attacking beliefs in bronze-age bs. How in the name of Darwin are we supposed to make any progress that way?

[Image: s1hlsk.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2012, 07:12 AM
Perhaps it would help to speak less in terms of generalities and instead debate the pros and cons of a specific event, a specific post, or a specific video in order to reach out and see whether other board members see it in an equally negative or equally positive light?
We all like to think that we are reasonable and rational and that others are extreme by comparison. If we only speak in generalities we can each perceive one another as being irrational when actually there may be plenty of common ground to occupy between us.
If you are going to side with a reduced aggression standpoint, what do you see as a specific example of over the top aggression? If you are going to side with an increased or same level aggression standpoint, what do you see as a specific example of insufficient action?