I emailed conservative radio host John Walton this morning.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2012, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2012 09:26 AM by germanyt.)
I emailed conservative radio host John Walton this morning.
The talk show is called Walton & Johnson.

They had a caller this morning and I felt compelled to email them regarding her.

germanyt Wrote:I was on my way to work right around 8:20 and you took a call from a woman in Texas, from Lafayette, who claimed to have ‘called-out’ a supposed Mexican. I’m a little shocked that you didn’t condemn her on the air. She is a RACIST. First of all, without actually speaking to one of them there was no way for her to know they were Mexican. Second, as if that actually happened. How many strangers in McDonalds do you see just call out someone they’ve never met? No one! Finally, and the reason I call her a racist, is because had the person in line at McDonalds been a white guy speaking French or an Asian guy speaking Thai she would never have said anything (not that this really happened in the first place). This had nothing to do with not speaking English. She had no grounds for assuming that he was here illegally. It has everything to do with being ‘brown’.

Guys, I’m a long time listener and more often than not I disagree with you. But this woman should have been embarrassed on the radio this morning. I’d have called her a liar and a racist and dropped the call.

Walton Wrote:shock time....a Mexican IS NOT a race....you be drinking the LULAC Kool Aid...Mexican is a nationality

germanyt Wrote:Let’s not argue semantics here. You know what I mean. And I had to look up LULAC. I had never heard of them before.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
16-05-2012, 09:14 AM
RE: I emailed conservative radio host John Walton this morning.
This post needs more info.
What is the situation the woman described? Why did she call someone a Mexican in the first place.
Not that I disagree that she's likely a racist... I mean she is republican but... Uh oh, I think I've developed a bias towards republicans and I'm not even American. I blame your Republicans that manage to get on tv.

Also I've also never heard the term LULAC. I will have to look it up.

EDIT: Looked it up, and see that it appears that Walton is assuming you are becoming a bleeding heart liberal who listens to the concerns of dirty filthy immigrants. Which would also imply that he thinks you need to get back onto the fear mongering hate festering republican band wagon.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
16-05-2012, 09:22 AM
The woman claimed to have overheard a 'Mexican' in line at McDonalds speaking in Spanish to the cashier. She said she interrupted them and told him he needed to speak English because 'this is America'. She told the story making it seem as though she was very confrontational about it. She claims he replied telling her that it's one country, Meximerica.

I'm thinking the whole time she's talking 'this is a totally fabricated story'.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
16-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Meximerica is pretty funny.

I would have laughed if that had happened and I were in line.

Also just because someone speaks spanish in America it doesn't necessitate them being mexican. I mean... doesn't everyone there know some spanish?

Honestly I could see someone doing that though. There are so many self important people who think they know something and have the power to tell people what to do and how to live. I doubt she did it though, because I've found most people who are racist are generally afraid of those they are racist about.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
16-05-2012, 10:00 AM
It would be correct to say someone is Latino, or Hispanic. But you should not assume someone is Mexican, Puerto Rican, Spanish, etc. Those are nationalities. Your talk show hosts are morons for arguing that point because what she said on the radio was racist. It is incredibly rude and useless to confront someone for speaking in another language when they are not talking to you. And it is racist and ignorant to assume they are from one nationality or another based on skin color and/or language.

My mother-in-law is racist, but denies it. She probably wouldn't confront them, but she might say something snide just audible enough for them to hear- or she might say something to someone else about it. That kind of thing pisses me off.

Angry

Good on you GT for calling them and pointing that out.
16-05-2012, 10:08 AM
I can't believe that juveline response is actually from the radio host.

It does sound to me like she made up the story to make herself sound self-righteous and important. Suddenly speaking a second language is grounds for "calling out"? She could benefit from learning something besides English, and educate herself a little.

Also "He needs to speak English because this is America" is a non-sequitur. It's like me saying: "I need to eat eggs because it's raining outside."

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 2 users Like Smooshmonster's post
16-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Now I am confused... Do we not actually have to eat eggs when it's raining? That would be a great relief to me as I live in a place where rain is very common.

Thank you Smoosh!

16-05-2012, 11:19 AM
I was hoping to get another reply but I guess it's not gonna happen.

-Mark Twain
16-05-2012, 11:24 AM
(16-05-2012 11:19 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I was hoping to get another reply but I guess it's not gonna happen.
Another reply from the radio show or here?
16-05-2012, 11:55 AM
(16-05-2012 11:24 AM)kineo Wrote:  
(16-05-2012 11:19 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I was hoping to get another reply but I guess it's not gonna happen.
Another reply from the radio show or here?
The radio show.

-Mark Twain