I exist so I must be saved!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2011, 08:23 PM
I exist so I must be saved!
I don't understand this concept: "You're not saved!"
What exactly am I not saved from? My sin? I need to be forgiven of my sin? What is sin? Existing? So I need to be saved because I exist?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2011, 09:02 PM
RE: I exist so I must be saved!
From going to hell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_sin

Be polite.
Be efficient.
Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
20-03-2011, 09:11 PM
You'd think that a god, of all entities, could just, you know, not send people to hell.. He is god, isn't he? How can such a powerful being not forgive without a loophole that a moron would facepalm at?

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
20-03-2011, 09:16 PM
(20-03-2011 08:23 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  What is sin? Existing?

Bingo.

I play CityVille, and I need you as my neighbor!
I need a job too, so that I can play CityVille less.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-03-2011, 09:34 PM
(20-03-2011 09:11 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  You'd think that a god, of all entities, could just, you know, not send people to hell.. He is god, isn't he? How can such a powerful being not forgive without a loophole that a moron would facepalm at?

"God" has an ego problem.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
20-03-2011, 09:43 PM
(20-03-2011 09:02 PM)ConditionYellow Wrote:  From going to hell.

And as a human you go to hell because you exist.
20-03-2011, 10:05 PM
(20-03-2011 09:43 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  
(20-03-2011 09:02 PM)ConditionYellow Wrote:  From going to hell.

And as a human you go to hell because you exist.

And here I thought that Jesus died so we wouldn't have to. Tongue

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
20-03-2011, 11:38 PM

The first part of the Bible, the TL;DR version.

Once upon a time there was this god that called himself God. Now, he quickly grew bored of of narcissism, so he created these things called angels. Angels worshiped God and fulfilled his ego, so it was good. God then designated three angels to serve as leaders above them all, because clearly this whole worshiping thing was out of hand the angels needed some organization. That way they stay in their place, dammit. Well, one of these archangels was named Lucifer. He was a very bright fellow with a clear rational mind and a sense of self-worth. A typical interaction between God and Lucifer soon became apparent:

God: Heeeeeeeeeeey, Lucifer, buddy, how are you doing?
Lucifer: Just fi-
God: Ha! I got you with that didn't I! I don't need to know how you're doing! I'm God. You're really not as clever as people say huh? Not as clever as me anyway! Hahahaha!
Lucifer: I'll just be on-
God: Woah, hold on there buddy, pal. I've noticed you haven't worshiped me in over five minutes, you might want to get on that.
Lucifer: Yes God...
God: You mean Lord King of Lord Kings your Heavenly Savior and Creator God, right? It's okay, it probably just slipped your mind. Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaat's fine, just make sure it doesn't happen again riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight? I would reeeeeaaaalllly appreciate it. Kay thanks.
Lucifer: Yes Sire Lord King of Lord Kings your Heavenly Savior and Creator God.
God: Ahhh see, that's not so hard is it? Now go run along and be subpar to me.

And so it was. Lucifer was a patient fellow, but eventually enough was simply enough. Quoting his favorite movie, he got up one day and exclaimed, "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take any more!"

So Lucifer got up and and took the angels in his command and went to God declaring:

Lucifer: God, we have made a decision.
God: Wooooooaaaah, hold the phone there, I don't know any fellow by just the name God.
Lucifer: We require ice cream if we are to worship you any more!

And with that Lucifer sucker-punched God right in the mouth while Guile's Theme played in the background.
Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2011, 04:03 AM
Yeah , the hole saved problem is an issue.
And to be honest all religions share it.
They say they look at the universe and try to understand it with religion and life and morality but in the end it boils down to : "Repent or suffer forever(or be reincarnated as a worm)"

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
21-03-2011, 07:05 AM
Plenty of religions kinda have the continuation story as far as smaller less known religions. Not all of them actually suggest you have to obey or suffer eternal torture. And reincarnation is an odd semi eternal torture where even being human is a curse instead of a blessing. The smaller ones like for tribes manage to be simple because they've never had to include over 50 people into their culture. So it's easier to not blow things up. In those usually all of the stories are actually about survival and if you don't listen up you most likely will die, either by making a mistake which someone sees as dangerous or by making a mistake during a hunt or whatever and being eaten. Many small tribes realize that there is a limit to their own size in order to maintain their location, so they have no issue with people dying since if people didn't die all the food would be gone. Since the western world is filled with people who most fear other humans we've settled down and focused more on ways to seriously control minds rather than just giving directions as to how to live so the young have a chance.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.