I failed The Chitling Test

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2013, 08:49 AM
RE: I failed The Chitling Test
(23-12-2013 05:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  None? Even I know some of those.
8 - a
11 - d
13 - b

I got 8 and 13 too.

Also,
4 - c
9 - b
10 - d

So, 5/15
I'm not sure what this means though..... Huh

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2013, 09:09 AM
(23-12-2013 03:08 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(22-12-2013 11:08 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Can you provide a translation please?

I know all the words but not in that order.

Cheers
Thumbsup
I went ahead and formatted her post for you. Sleepy

‘The Chitling Test’ (short version) by Adrian Dove, 1971.

1. A "handkerchief head" is:
(a) a cool cat,
(b) a porter,
© an Uncle Tom,
(d) a hoddi,
(e) a preacher.

2. Which word is most out of place here?
(a) splib,
(b) blood,
© gray,
(d) spook,
(e) black.

3. A "gas head" is a person who has a:
(a) fast-moving car,
(b) stable of "lace,"
© "process,"
(d) habit of stealing cars,
(e) long jail record for arson.

4. "Bo Diddley" is a:
(a) game for children,
(b) down-home cheap wine,
© down-home singer,
(d) new dance,
(e) Moejoe call.

5. "Hully Gully" came from:
(a) East Oakland,
(b) Fillmore,
© Watts,
(d) Harlem,
(e) Motor City.

6. Cheap chitlings (not the kind you purchase at a frozen food counter) will taste rubbery unless they are cooked long enough. How soon can you quit cooking them to eat and enjoy them?
(a) 45 minutes,
(b) 2 hours,
© 24 hours,
(d) 1 week (on a low flame),
(e) 1 hour.

7. What are the "Dixie Hummingbirds?"
(a) part of the KKK,
(b) a swamp disease,
© a modern gospel group,
(d) a Mississippi Negro paramilitary group,
(e) Deacons.

8. If you throw the dice and 7 is showing on the top, what is facing down?
(a) 7,
(b) snake eyes,
© boxcars,
(d) little Joes,
(e) 11.

9. "Jet" is:
(a) an East Oakland motorcycle club,
(b) one of the gangs in "West Side Story,"
© a news and gossip magazine,
(d) a way of life for the very rich.

10. T-Bone Walker got famous for playing what?
(a) trombone,
(b) piano,
© "T-flute,"
(d) guitar,
(e) "hambone."

11. "Bird" or "Yardbird" was the "jacket" that jazz lovers from coast to coast hung on:
(a) Lester Young,
(b) Peggy Lee,
© Benny Goodman,
(d) Charlie Parker,
(e) "Birdman of Alcatraz."

12. Hattie Mae Johnson is on the County. She has four children and her husband is now in jail for non-support, as he was unemployed and was not able to give her any money. Her welfare check is now $286 per month. Last night she went out with the highest player in town. If she got pregnant, then nine months from now how much more will her welfare check be?
(a) $80,
(b) $2,
© $35,
(d) $150,
(e) $100.

13. "Money don't get everything it's true ."
(a) but I don't have none and I'm so blue,
(b) but what it don't get I can't use,
© so make do with what you've got,
(d) but I don't know that and neither do you.

14. How much does a short dog cost?
(a) $0.15,
(b) $2.00,
© $0.35,
(d) $0.05,
(e) $0.86 plus tax.

15. Many people say that "Juneteenth" (June 19) should be made a legal holiday because this was the day when:
(a) the slaves were freed in the USA,
(b) the slaves were freed in Texas,
© the slaves were freed in Jamaica,
(d) the slaves were freed in California,
(e) Martin Luther King was born,
(f) Booker T. Washington died.

I can still read the words but I have no idea what they're saying? Most of these I don't even get what the question is asking.
I can't believe number 12, what the hell.
So where did you find this test and what is the purpose of it? What do the results tell you? I mean, is it to test your level of true 'blackness'?
23-12-2013, 09:27 AM
(23-12-2013 09:09 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 03:08 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I went ahead and formatted her post for you. Sleepy

‘The Chitling Test’ (short version) by Adrian Dove, 1971.

1. A "handkerchief head" is:
(a) a cool cat,
(b) a porter,
© an Uncle Tom,
(d) a hoddi,
(e) a preacher.

2. Which word is most out of place here?
(a) splib,
(b) blood,
© gray,
(d) spook,
(e) black.

3. A "gas head" is a person who has a:
(a) fast-moving car,
(b) stable of "lace,"
© "process,"
(d) habit of stealing cars,
(e) long jail record for arson.

4. "Bo Diddley" is a:
(a) game for children,
(b) down-home cheap wine,
© down-home singer,
(d) new dance,
(e) Moejoe call.

5. "Hully Gully" came from:
(a) East Oakland,
(b) Fillmore,
© Watts,
(d) Harlem,
(e) Motor City.

6. Cheap chitlings (not the kind you purchase at a frozen food counter) will taste rubbery unless they are cooked long enough. How soon can you quit cooking them to eat and enjoy them?
(a) 45 minutes,
(b) 2 hours,
© 24 hours,
(d) 1 week (on a low flame),
(e) 1 hour.

7. What are the "Dixie Hummingbirds?"
(a) part of the KKK,
(b) a swamp disease,
© a modern gospel group,
(d) a Mississippi Negro paramilitary group,
(e) Deacons.

8. If you throw the dice and 7 is showing on the top, what is facing down?
(a) 7,
(b) snake eyes,
© boxcars,
(d) little Joes,
(e) 11.

9. "Jet" is:
(a) an East Oakland motorcycle club,
(b) one of the gangs in "West Side Story,"
© a news and gossip magazine,
(d) a way of life for the very rich.

10. T-Bone Walker got famous for playing what?
(a) trombone,
(b) piano,
© "T-flute,"
(d) guitar,
(e) "hambone."

11. "Bird" or "Yardbird" was the "jacket" that jazz lovers from coast to coast hung on:
(a) Lester Young,
(b) Peggy Lee,
© Benny Goodman,
(d) Charlie Parker,
(e) "Birdman of Alcatraz."

12. Hattie Mae Johnson is on the County. She has four children and her husband is now in jail for non-support, as he was unemployed and was not able to give her any money. Her welfare check is now $286 per month. Last night she went out with the highest player in town. If she got pregnant, then nine months from now how much more will her welfare check be?
(a) $80,
(b) $2,
© $35,
(d) $150,
(e) $100.

13. "Money don't get everything it's true ."
(a) but I don't have none and I'm so blue,
(b) but what it don't get I can't use,
© so make do with what you've got,
(d) but I don't know that and neither do you.

14. How much does a short dog cost?
(a) $0.15,
(b) $2.00,
© $0.35,
(d) $0.05,
(e) $0.86 plus tax.

15. Many people say that "Juneteenth" (June 19) should be made a legal holiday because this was the day when:
(a) the slaves were freed in the USA,
(b) the slaves were freed in Texas,
© the slaves were freed in Jamaica,
(d) the slaves were freed in California,
(e) Martin Luther King was born,
(f) Booker T. Washington died.

I can still read the words but I have no idea what they're saying? Most of these I don't even get what the question is asking.
So where did you find this test and what is the purpose of it? What do the results tell you? I mean, is it to test your level of true 'blackness'?

No the text was created to prove that the IQ test was culturally biased against people of color. But I suppose it only works if you are an inner-city black person from the 1980s. The test was created in 1979, mostly to show white people that when someone doesn't know something it doesn't make them stupid. Since the IQ test is formed so that people of color tend to score 10% lower than whites. Except being raised in upper-middle-class Ohio it didn't quite work that way with me.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
23-12-2013, 09:33 AM
(23-12-2013 09:27 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 09:09 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I can still read the words but I have no idea what they're saying? Most of these I don't even get what the question is asking.

No the text was created to prove that the IQ test was culturally biased against people of color. But I suppose it only works if you are an inner-city black person from the 1980s. The test was created in 1979, mostly to show white people that when someone doesn't know something it doesn't make them stupid. Since the IQ test is formed so that people of color tend to score 10% lower than whites. Except being raised in upper-middle-class Ohio it didn't quite work that way with me.

Ahh this makes me feel a little better at least! It still seems a little racist to me but at least it's for a better purpose than I originally thought. I lived in a city in Georgia with 80% black students and I have even never heard most of these words. I was born in 1989 so maybe that is also part of why I can't understand it.
23-12-2013, 09:40 AM
(23-12-2013 09:33 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 09:27 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  No the text was created to prove that the IQ test was culturally biased against people of color. But I suppose it only works if you are an inner-city black person from the 1980s. The test was created in 1979, mostly to show white people that when someone doesn't know something it doesn't make them stupid. Since the IQ test is formed so that people of color tend to score 10% lower than whites. Except being raised in upper-middle-class Ohio it didn't quite work that way with me.

Ahh this makes me feel a little better at least! It still seems a little racist to me but at least it's for a better purpose than I originally thought. I lived in a city in Georgia with 80% black students and I have even never heard most of these words. I was born in 1989 so maybe that is also part of why I can't understand it.
Same here. I think the test maker failed to account for generation/age and culture of the test taker. I being 21 and brown didn't know ANY of this stuff on the test.
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
23-12-2013, 11:27 PM
(23-12-2013 09:27 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  No the text was created to prove that the IQ test was culturally biased against people of color.

The Chitling Test doesn't prove anything.

Quote:The test was created in 1979, mostly to show white people that when someone doesn't know something it doesn't make them stupid.

Standardised, reliable and validated IQ tests--especially those with a high g loading--measure abstract reasoning ability, not knowledge. A properly designed IQ test such as Raven's Progressive Matrices has no verbal content, there is nothing to know, there is only to do, i.e. to reason.

You can study for the Chitling Test and obtain a perfect score, you can't do that for IQ tests with a high g loading, i.e. the best IQ tests. The Chitling Test is just a knowledge test and IQ test is not a knowledge test.

Quote: Since the IQ test is formed so that people of color tend to score 10% lower than whites.

East Asians score higher than Europeans on IQ tests and IQ tests were invented by Europeans. Did Europeans design them so that they score lower than East Asians?

The best IQ tests, such as Raven's Progressive Matrices, can be completed even by illiterate people. A test that has no words, that East Asians do better at than Europeans can't be deemed to have any sort of cultural bias.
23-12-2013, 11:30 PM (This post was last modified: 23-12-2013 11:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
I've had chitlins. They pretty much taste like shit.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Two things.

I love chitlins when properly prepared.

Without checking for sure I could answer about 4 correctly most of them music related. But then again "Do you like good music that sweet soul music".

Myself an old white, or has been pointed out to me by a dark brown man pink, man.

I am going to check out the alternative IQ tests. I have known for a long time that most are culturally biased. They are also biased toward good test takers like myself. For example if you are clever often multiple choice questions can be answered more quickly by simply eliminating the obvious wrong answers.
29-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Now I am pissed. I took the online version of the "Raven's Progressive Matrices" test and knew I had done well but the punks wanted money to see my score, $20. Fuck you I don't need your stinking test to tell me I have visual acuity, hell I was an engineer for 35 years. I will say this as the test went on it became quite difficult. I am not sure however if it is unbiased.

My old man was a mechanic and he had me under cars at an early age. I can still tell a 9/16's nut from a 1/2 or 7/16's nut easily (yes, metrics have me a little more confused, you tell me how easy it is to tell a 9 from an 8 mm). I can see things readily. Am I smart, I like to think so. Does visual acuity however prove that, I am not so sure. I will also admit that at times late in the test I resorted to the process of elimination (it is multiple choice) to narrow down the possible answers.

I would like to direct you all to the pamphlet by C. L. R. James, "Every Cook Can Govern", which discusses how in Athens governors were chosen at random. James glosses over the fact that Athens citizenship was restricted to elites but the point that random selection of legislatures can be successful is true.

We give far to much privilege to people who are deemed by what ever method intelligent, or knowledgeable. Skills should be valued for that but as a society we risk placing far to high a value on perceived intellect.
01-01-2014, 07:27 AM
(23-12-2013 11:27 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(23-12-2013 09:27 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  No the text was created to prove that the IQ test was culturally biased against people of color.

The Chitling Test doesn't prove anything.

Quote:The test was created in 1979, mostly to show white people that when someone doesn't know something it doesn't make them stupid.

Standardised, reliable and validated IQ tests--especially those with a high g loading--measure abstract reasoning ability, not knowledge. A properly designed IQ test such as Raven's Progressive Matrices has no verbal content, there is nothing to know, there is only to do, i.e. to reason.

You can study for the Chitling Test and obtain a perfect score, you can't do that for IQ tests with a high g loading, i.e. the best IQ tests. The Chitling Test is just a knowledge test and IQ test is not a knowledge test.

Quote: Since the IQ test is formed so that people of color tend to score 10% lower than whites.

East Asians score higher than Europeans on IQ tests and IQ tests were invented by Europeans. Did Europeans design them so that they score lower than East Asians?

The best IQ tests, such as Raven's Progressive Matrices, can be completed even by illiterate people.[b] A test that has no words, that East Asians do better at than Europeans can't be deemed to have any sort of cultural bias.[/b]

That last part is completely inaccurate because there is a legitimately strong cultural difference between East Asian and Eurocentric cultures based on writing systems. The way minds develop and opperate as children have some differences from learning a letter-sound based reading system opposed to a character-picture based.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson