I feel all alone.....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2016, 09:14 AM
I feel all alone.....
Hello everyone. I'm 38 and a recovering catholic.....I n4ow consider myself to be an atheist, free thinker and 6 humanist...
But it's like everyone around me is either catholic or goes to one of those megachurches. And I know and understand now reason and logic. But I feel like I'm trapped in a cocoon or in a matrix.......btw I've always been curious and love to dig and ask questions...I.was raised baptist....then went to some nondenominational megachurches...and then became catholic,,,then atheist.....so my worldview has changed and evolved over time....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jason197754's post
28-03-2016, 09:25 AM
RE: I feel all alone.....
Hello! Big Grin

Hug

Wishing you all the very best.
28-03-2016, 09:35 AM
(28-03-2016 09:14 AM)jason197754 Wrote:  Hello everyone. I'm 38 and a recovering catholic.....I n4ow consider myself to be an atheist, free thinker and 6 humanist...
But it's like everyone around me is either catholic or goes to one of those megachurches. And I know and understand now reason and logic. But I feel like I'm trapped in a cocoon or in a matrix.......btw I've always been curious and love to dig and ask questions...I.was raised baptist....then went to some nondenominational megachurches...and then became catholic,,,then atheist.....so my worldview has changed and evolved over time....

The good thing is that you really are NOT alone. While some here were lucky enough not to be indoctrinated as kids into a religion, many of us were. I was raised Catholic myself, although I was also lucky enough to have a mom let me decide for myself.

Others don't have it so good. Many live in isolation and the internet is the only contact they have with other atheists. If you live on your own you could seek local atheists whom meet near you. But if you still live under your parent's roof it can only be your decision as to how to handle it, and even if one were to open up, it is still not a war worthy of having that could potentially have you thrown out of the house. Better in that case to simply keep your grades up, get through school, stay out of trouble and know you will be able in the future to be open if you wish.

My younger sister left religion a few years back and at first our biological family flipped out over it. The good thing was she was already living on her own and had me to talk to about it.

But no, never feel like you are alone because you are not. There are tons of atheists out there and many who understand completely what you are going through.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-03-2016, 09:38 AM
*Hugs* I think it's kind of a normal feeling to feel alone after leaving religion because it is so much a part of our identities and culture. Many times our families, friends, and communities are religious as it was how we were raised so when you leave that lifestyle you leave all of that lifestyle in some respects. The best advice I have is to try and find some activities you enjoy doing and join some groups where religion is not involved.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
28-03-2016, 09:59 AM
I can guarantee there are more atheists in your midst than you realize - even in those big megachurches.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
28-03-2016, 10:12 AM
There might even be some atheist "churches" near where you are. That would be a great way to meet some like-minded folks.
28-03-2016, 10:16 AM
I'm sorry you are feeling this way. I can understand it, but I also have an interesting story that might help you think you aren't alone. I once posted a well-thought-out rant about Russell Wilson, the super-delusional QB for the Seattle football team, who likes to say his god had his hands in their victories, etc. I basically lambasted him on FB and two of my friends tagged other friends in the comments. I thought it was peculiar but figured those guys were just Seahawks haters or fans and wanted them to read it. I bowl in a league with these two guys and they brought it up, saying it was perfect. And I said, thanks, so you hate the Seahawks? And they both said, no, we're atheists. I had been friends with one of these guys for years and the other one for about a year and had NO idea, nor did they know I was a nonbeliever.

I think if you just get out and do stuff you won't be alone, regardless of beliefs. I had been friends with them and we didn't even know each other's beliefs. And that's how it should be. The only time religion should come up is when you're in a church or maybe holidays. There are plenty of ways to not be alone, religion and beliefs shouldn't even bother you or be apart of the quest for friendship or camaraderie.

I hope things improve.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
28-03-2016, 01:17 PM
(28-03-2016 09:14 AM)jason197754 Wrote:  But it's like everyone around me is either catholic or goes to one of those megachurches. [...]

Like the others have said, if you dig deeper you'll undoubtedly find that there's more non-theists out there than you initially think. It's just that theists are so overwhelmingly 'everywhere' and in your face, and so vocal and full of themselves that their numbers and their influence seems greater than it is in reality. Every town has at least a couple of those silly Christian temples, but you'll never see even the slightest reference to any of the inevitable atheist presence in the town. The god-botherers are forever banging on your front door; atheists never do, and how many times do you see street raffles being run to fund a new roof for some fucking church? Too many.

I wish you well in your religious dissociation, and let's know how you're going mate.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
06-04-2016, 02:43 PM
I feel yah! I live in a country where atheists are a rare breed. I personally don't know anyone here who does not believe in God. I live in a society where saying "I'm a man of faith" should automatically earn you respect because you got the moral high ground... But god bless the internet! I found out I'm not alone.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes The Shoegazer's post
06-04-2016, 02:52 PM
Welcome! Glad you made your way here Smile

I came here feeling alone too...had nowhere to vent. I'm surrounded by Christians and still live with my Christian parents.

My first few posts were almost always me venting but...it's been a great relief. It's awesome knowing you fit in somewhere, even if you really have only one thing in common with everyone else.

Everyone here is cool. Most of us have been/are in the same boat as you, so we can relate! Vent if you need to!

If you need any advice or whatnot, know that most people here will be more than happy to help!

Hope you like it here!

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post